Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

I failed!!

A topic by Marxy 37 created Nov 15, 2020 Views: 700 Replies: 35
Viewing posts 1 to 12
(+3)

Once again, i failed yet another jam... Why it does keep happening everytime??

I'm sad now... 😥

(+2)

just add a main menu and make like a short level just so you have something it doesn't need to be perfect :)

(+2)

thanks for the kind words, but i don't even have a game prototype sadly... :/

Submitted(+3)

I just did that .. lol .. focused way too much on the art and "interesting" mechanics.. that had no time or energy left to work on the game level anymore..

There's still about 2 hours left, enough time to add sound.. but meeh, I can't work anymore .. need to rest...

For those who couldn't make it, don't be discouraged, I'm sure you've learned a lot from participating in this jam.

You're now definitely better prepared for the next one! Good Luck!

Submitted(+3)

Similar situation with me. I kept changing the concept of my game, and spent way too much time trying to brainstorm ideas. Now my game is pretty unfinished but I still enjoyed working and this was my first game jam. For next time I'm just gonna be prepared and manage my time better.

(1 edit) (+1)

@Typical Human Ye, pretty much same for me, except thatn i didn't even managed to surpass the brainstorming phase...

Good luck for your next jam!! (And thanks for the comment) =D

(1 edit) (+1)

@Alex Sam L I feel what you're experiencing, when i have a concept i usually spend 40% on my time on blender, making models for the game, qnd the rest is usually coding the "main" mechanics

I don't really feel like i've learned anything from this jam, nor i feel prepared for the next jam (if anything i feel demotivated...), but thank you anyway... (T_T)

(+3)

Same :'(

(1 edit) (+1)

:C

Submitted(+5)

The secret is to go for an idea you know you can make in few hours. Keep the scope as small as possible :)

I agree with what you said, i'm still struggling with that: I only have a couple of ideas, and they usually have a scope bigger of what i can make. Plus, having failed 5/6 jams already, my motivation is kinds low, worsening the problem I'd say...

Thanks for your feedback!! (^u^)

(+1)

Really good advice that's what i did  ;)

@salaska Ye, that's a good andvice!! I wish it was this esay for me... :C

(+1)

Sorry for you maybe you ll achieve in your next jam 

Submitted(+1)

Yeah, the main think is to come up with some idea and make it as small as possible. Yeah, and You will see that making game really really small with one mechanic but from start to end (menus, UI, sounds, even 1 level) take some time. If more You gonna make tiny projects then it will be easier for You to make bigger and bigger stuff :) First of all - don't worry. We've all been through that.

(+1)

That is exactly one of the problems i have: i can't come up with that much of ideas, and the one i get, they have usually a scope too big for me... And usually, even i could surpass that problem, they are still many obstacles on my way... (like the lack of a planning phase)

I know this is supposed to happen, and that is normal, i know this will take a lot of time to master, and yet, for some reason, i can't stop worring and feel better about myself... :C

Thanks for your words!! 

Submitted(+1)

Yea I've failed the the past 3 jams I've done but each time I've managed to get closer and closer to finishing. Honestly like what menicafolden said above just start with a concept so simple that you might even think it's overly simplistic, but just try and make that first. And from there just keep building off and transforming a seemingly simple idea into a complex one! Even if you don't have the time to make it more polished or complex, well hey atleast you got a game. Good luck on your next jam hope ya do well.

For me, i feel it's the opposite (not only for jams, but from everything, really): I tend to do great the first time i'll do it, and then i'll just do worst and worst, get really sad about it, and then... quit

This is the first time that i openly talk about it, since i really like making games (it's a thing that i always wanted to do, and one that i want to transform into a job, if i can manage to do it) and i'd really like to not end up like everything else end up so far...

As for the the "concept part", the answer is pretty much what i've already said to menicafolden: that's exactly one of my struggles. I've kinda liked the last part of your answer tho. :3

Thank you, i hope good luck to you too, and thanks for the kind words!!!

Submitted(+1)

this is my first jam and my trick to finishing stuff is not to break your head over it. I have spend only 5-6 hours on my game. the most was playing the really really basic prototype with my brothers. I think distaction is a really important tool

Thank you for your answer!! Unfortunatelly, distracting myself dosen't really work out for me, it kinda have the opposite effect... 😅

Submitted(+1)

that's bad but I'm sure you'll find a way you can work. Gamejams are always active. I wish you good luck

Wow, i didn't espected that many responses, form a post that i just wrote to "just to feel better with myself"...

Thank you all for your kind words, they really warms my heart, even if it doesn't feel like it does... 😊

Submitted(+1)

Don’t get down, game development is pretty hard and the lows are low but the highs are pretty high! Why not try a longer game jam but treat it like a shorter one? Just have to try and trick yourself that you don’t have the time! Don’t give up!

I've partecipated in some longer game jams in the past, and i don't really liked them because they're extenuating, but i don't think i've actually tried to limit myself in that way. Thanks, i'll give it a try!! =D

(And no, i have no intention on giving up at the moment, don't worry about that)

Submitted(+1)

It's fine, happens a lot...

My tip to you: 

- The 1st hour focus on thinking about the jam theme and the game that you want to make, and in here you want to focus on mechanics (story takes a lot of time to think/write and need a lot of assets to do it properly, so I advice to avoid for now);
- Think of a small project that you can actually accomplish in the time limit;
- The 1st day of the jam focus on have a playable prototype with the core game loop included (this is important because gonna make you and your team more pumped to actually finish it);
- The 2nd day is time to finish the game with every asset possible;
- Final day is about polishing, finishing some steps and setting up your entry;
- The important one: enjoy the process. If you don't, than your final game won't reflect your feelings. So if you enjoy, your game gonna be enjoyable.

Hope it helps! :D

(+1)

Thanks for the tips!! Altough i had to adjust it a bit, they are really usefull!! =D

Some short comments about your notes:

- There is no way that i'm thinking of an idea in only one hour XD

- Thanks, but just like i've already said, that's exactly where i'm struggling on

- The 1st and 2nd days is pretty much what i'm already (trying to) doing...

- I usually try to polish whenever i can, and not just in a second moment. Do you think that's a bad habit of mine??

- It's kinda hard to enjoy the process when you are having so much trouble, and you're always stressed, but i'm usually having fun doing jams (I mean if i hadn't, i wouldn't have done so many jams already). Still, i'll try to improve on that point

- It does!! Again, thank you!! =D

Submitted(+1)

I'm glad it's useful!

Since your main struggle is to think in a small polished game experience, you should definitely try the first hour tip! xD It helps...
About the polish, it's better to do after your core game loop is on, and you have a playable experience... Leaving it for the last day it's fine! But if something is really easy to polish, sure why not.
When you start to having consistent results, you are going to enjoy a lot more! :D

The main problem I would work on, is to concept a simple small game idea fast, and being something that  you like. Better than having the best idea, is to actually have a enjoyable game and polished if possible! Check my entry if you want to know what I mean (lost the first 12 hours of jam).

(+1)

Well, thanks again for the tips!! I'll try it on the next jam!! 👍

PS. When i say "There is no way that i'm thinking an idea in only one hour" it's not like i don't want to do it: it's just that, knowing myself, i wont be able to come up with any idea, given the shor time period. Basically what i meant is: I suck at brainstorming ... 

Submitted(+1)

Oh xD

Maybe do some brainstorm practice then?
Make some group and seat for 1h just to brainstorm 1 game idea...
Then you discuss if would be possible or not to do in 48h.
And repeat!

Never did this before, but who knows? xD

(+1)

Well, we can't really know until we tried it out... 😁

Submitted(+1)

my tip is to make something really simple, begin with a mvp or prototype and than if it is working ad some graphycs

sorry for my English, I am Dutch

Don't worry, i understand it perpectly!! And thanks for the advice!! =D

Submitted(+1)

You didn't get it now, maybe you won't get it next time... or even the time after that, but, I assure you, that if you keep at it, one day you'll make a game you'll be very proud of!

Yeah, I hope that... :/

Submitted(+1)

What is that sad face? Wanna see ya happy!!!

(+1)

(^u^) ~OK!!