Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Microreviews

A topic by NohatCoder created Jan 16, 2017 Views: 827 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted(+1)

I have played a bunch of games now, which makes me an ideal candidate for writing reviews / comment on these games. Here goes:

DECK DUNGEON

Looks intriguing, with simple but nice illustrations. Unfortunately the gameplay is kind of shallow, the game is almost entirely random, and it is rarely hard to make the right choice of card.

The Ninja's Garden

This is an odd game, it has some bugs and oddities, there is exactly 1 sort of hard segment, and then some odd places that I don't think it is possible to get through without taking damage. But there is something intriguing about this treasure hunt. This game has some speed-running potential.

Tanks

Simple shooter, somehow much more difficult than it looks, though maybe not if you are actually good at this kind of thing, I wouldn't know. Overall a nice game for a short while.

SHOOTY SPACE SPACE

How can it be that one does not shoot using the space bar in this game? (Get it?) Good beginnings for a bullet hell, and it is actually completable, though it is easy to miss that if you are too busy mashing X.

Christmas Woes

This is a weird dream in text adventure form, pretty easy to complete, but most of all just weird.

SoftUnLocked

A game where you as a small bird try to match big falling boxes and make them disappear, or if you are crazy, try to make them stay. Unfortunately the bird doesn't have a lot pushing power, so the boxes kinda just fall where they fall whatever you do. Such a shame, this would probably be a fun a challenge given a bit more agency.

tiny terrarium

A crude simulation of sand, a complicated interface but a very pedestrian simulation. Are you not entertained? (I'm not.)

Alpha Centauri

Are longing for the days when screen-savers were cool? Then look no further, this is for you. The rest of us might get a bit bored.

Rocket Repair

Wheeee physics! It is kind of repetitive, and not very hard, but what is that against the sheer joy of launching something up, and watching it come down again? What you hit is mostly luck, but still, this could work for speed-running.

You Beat The Game

This game has exactly 1 joke, and it is not particularly funny. It also doesn't have anything beyond that joke.

AA Gun: Mission Quest

Wow, what a spark of creative genius! A phenomenal gameplay experience with a deep story and stunning graphics. This is a must play!

Submitted

Developer of The Ninja's Garden here, Maybe didn't have enough time to explicitly state/show in game, but you can destroy the obstacles :), thanks for playing anyway.

Submitted(+1)

Well, some of the obstacles can be destroyed, how would I get past here:

without dumping into the hole and taking damage? Also there is a room with 3 cogs that either require some mad precision or 1 heart of damage to get through.

Submitted

Yep, you either take 1/2 heart of damage, or you pick up the double-jump upgrade first. All depends on your route. You can also go for it last and use it as a deathwarp.

Submitted

Awfully nice of you to write these mini reviews, NohatCoder! :)

Submitted

You are welcome. Feel free to provide some of your own.

Submitted (1 edit) (+3)

Some things I really enjoyed so far:

• Ninjas Garden plays really well (though I couldn't figure out how to go on after 85% - probably some secrets I cannot find?). It does get super hard once you can't fill your health on respawn anymore and everything becomes insta-death...
  • Relocaliser 3000 is actually brilliant. (edit: PERFUME SECRET: CHAIN PROMISE)
  • Tanks really pulls you in for how simple it is. I wish there was a high score board! How am I going to show off without!
  • Deck Dungeon is neat, but curves weirdly, I ended up being overleveled. It would be cool if there was some kind of end game or goal to work towards, I think!
  • Rocket Repair is a bit longwinded but the music and looking at your rocket go is so relaxing that it really doesn't matter.
  • I love how the movement feels in Playroom Panic. It's not all that much fun with only one player, though. I imagine with two, it's a lot better.
  • tiny terrarium is ultra relaxing. I wish there was more block types!
  • SHOOTY SPACE SPACE is real hard with no i-frames when you're hit oh god I'm bad at danmaku
Submitted (1 edit)

re: tiny terrarium, thanks, this inspires me to update it ^_^ there were definitely some block type ideas i had that i had to cut in order to make the deadline. for example i had trouble figuring out how a block that makes its own gravity might work. i also wanted to have growing plants, but water physics were tricky. (actually my first attempt at water gave way to the sand that's in there XD) anyway i'm glad you enjoyed it!

Submitted

im very glad you're enjoying relocaliser :3

HostSubmitted

For anyone who doesn't follow me on Twitter: I've been playing through every single game and commenting on it in a single long thread. I'm almost done! I also left a comment on the jam entry page of every game I played.