Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Additional Mechanics

A topic by owenstreetpress created Mar 10, 2021 Views: 503 Replies: 17
Viewing posts 1 to 10
(+3)

What kind of mechanics are folks thinking about introducing to their games? I'm bringing in some worker placement aspects for mine.

HostSubmitted(+1)

Ah, that sounds really interesting! I can't wait to see it! 

Submitted(+2)

Mine is one where the game ends when you hit the goal card and it's a failure state if you haven't collected enough points, but it's possible to gain a number of "saves" during play that let you flip some unflipped cards at the end to possibly find the last couple you need.

Submitted(+2)

We're thinking of using something related to playlist shuffling/interpretation. Need to nail down the theme a bit more and figure out if it's complimentary.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

I added a confrontation system with a D20 and remove all prompts (I hope it sill qualifies as a Carta game 馃槄) . You can find it here. https://gaet-hoth.itch.io/sovereign-slayer-solitaire   

Submitted(+2)

I just did my first playtest, I'm replacing the deck with tarot cards and relying on player interpretation. I've had a lot of fun so far. Thanks for the challenge! Just gotta think of the ending!

Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

Just finished my fifth playtest. Decided to go a little esoteric with this and make a sort of analog Roguelike.

Need to tweak the difficulty a bit more before I go ahead with publishing, but it's almost done.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

It's only a vague idea and I'm still not quite sure, but I'm thinking about to include some poker mechanics into the game I'm developing. For example, you could win extra points if you turn over in a row a three of a kind, a flush or a full house.

Submitted

Great idea. Will there be a river on your map ? It could improve the odds and make sense within the narrative

Submitted (2 edits)

The idea of a river sounds pretty good, but not for this game because it's a storytelling horror game set in a cemetery.  A single card would represent a grave, unless you have a poker hand: a pair are two lovers buried together; a full house is a family with their three children; a poker is a mausoleum... I'm still thinking about it.

Thanks for commenting! :)

Submitted

That sounds like an impressive setting. And clearly there is no place for a river with singing birds there : ) I am looking forward playing your game

HostSubmitted(+1)

I would love this! 

Trivia: I used to be a poker dealer. I love poker like crazy. 

Submitted (1 edit)

That's a bonus! If you don't enjoy the game, at least you'll enjoy another kind of Carta game. (ba dum tss!)

Trivia: I suck at poker :(

HostSubmitted(+1)

Oh, so do I. I play like I hate chips.

Submitted(+1)

I'm looking to play with Adam Vass' 2d6 dice tech . . .

Submitted(+4)

In mine, you deal out the cards in three layers (one at a time) representing different time periods. Some of the cards refer to things that happened in the past (previous layers).

Submitted(+2)

This is such a cool idea! I love that it could create another sense of progression, a different dimension of movement, or a new resource for players to manipulate creatively. I'm excited to see how you implement it!

Submitted(+1)

Hopefully it comes out well. They way I'm using it means I need three times as many prompts. :)