Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] Super colossal black hole

A topic by Aubry created Feb 16, 2020 Views: 668 Replies: 25
Viewing posts 1 to 13
Submitted (2 edits) (+3)

Hey ! As the title suggests, it's gonna be a game about feeding a black hole, which you are going to be by the way.

The catch is : spaceships with anti-matter cannons will come and shoot you to make you shrink down to nothingness. They don't want you to eat their planet after all, but black holes don't feel pity as you might imagine.

You will move around and absorb everything you can, including spaceships and little planets [Very sad].

Here's the a first look at the prototype i've been working on (with a bit of help from brackeys tutorial on gravity simulation ofc haha) : 

(+1)

cool

Submitted

thank you :)

Submitted(+1)

That's cool. Maybe some big planets can defend themselves as well, that would be cool, and add a little bit more of strategy.

Submitted(+1)

thanks for the feedback, those are great ideas

Submitted

=DDDD

Submitted(+1)

Wow! I like it :) Keep it up!

Submitted

thanks for the motivation :)

(+1)

Better than the cobble of squares and circles I'm staring at on my screen right now.

Submitted

dont you make a devlog? It could be motivating, or at least helpful

Submitted(+2)

alexa play despacito for those spaceships :(

Submitted(+1)

cri everi teim

(+1)

Looks interesting.

Submitted

Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

Thanks yall, here comes the progress I made =>

First of all I worked on a basic enemy AI for the spaceships, imagine they would fire front engines when they are colored white

I thought a little bit about what interesting mechanics would fit in the game, and I thought a slow-motion during which you can't absorb matter could make for some nice gameplay.

The slowmo isnt there for nothing, I was thinking it could bring the game to a sort of puzzle feeling, see : 

I also started coding for planets, which are gonna be kind of "bosses" with a repulsion field that you will have to find a way to damage before destroying the damn place, exactly like this : 

well in fact it will absolutely not look like this but he.. can't show much more than 3mb at a time you curious little thing. Sorry for the dissapointing ending you end up with a mass of 2 planets ofc.

Don't hesitate if you have more recommandation, thanks human people

Submitted

I am disappointed with my game right now :(

Submitted

well i can't seem to find any link to a devlog of yours

Submitted

I don't have any :( You can see my game after release.

Submitted

Yours is much better than mine. All I got is an enemy and some movement that took me and my friend 7 hours  to make. I also have weapon. 

Submitted

still must be fun to work with a friend though, thats what matters

Submitted

Updates !!

I worked mainly on art for the game, here :

The look for the black hole is inspired by the black hole of interstellar

I created a spaceship model as well as antimatter, and spaceships are now able to shoot and shrink your sweet little hole :

Wowww that gif looks extremely ugly I have to compress it so much but you get the idea, I guess it's gonna be more pictures from now on.

Pictures like this one : this is going to be the boss planet which will have a repulsion field generator ( the little thing on top )

Here's the look of Antimatter btw, but it's a bit small ingame.. idk if I should change it's size because it still has to be shot by the spaceships sooo idk.

Thats all I've got for now, byebye.

Submitted

Hey Hey

Updates Updates

I worked on a lot since last time, but I didn't post as I didn't really have anything tangible to show, but here's the progress !

Update to the black hole skin, made to look a bit more like nasa's representations which I reallllly like : 

The main thing I worked on was text, which wasnt easy to implement as I've never properly done it (I only worked on 1 game so far), but here's how the Updated UI looks : The text is animated with a custom little typing sound btw

The biggest problem I see with the game right now is how different the sprites that I worked a lot on compare to the ones which I drew really fast. It's kind of annoying as I don't think I will have time to update all the sprites before the end of the jam but that's definitely something I'll be more attentive to during next jams.

I also worked a lot on making the first few "levels" coincide with the text, for which I am activating gameobjects that are all already in the scene (and inactive) I would guess it doesn't affect performance too much but I'd be curious to know

Next thing to work on is juicing it up a little mainly by adding sound and particles.

My idea for the game was to really go through the whole solar system and finishing by absorbing the sun which would make you enormous, I hope I'll be able to finish implementing all the ideas I have but I think it'll be possible :)

Bye bye

Can't wait to play it.

Submitted

Submitted

https://aubry.itch.io/super-colossal-black-hole Game is out ! very late in the night or early in the morning if you prefer.

Submitted

Ooo, this looks like fun