Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Devlog] RogueDigger

A topic by Shushurikhin created Feb 16, 2020 Views: 896 Replies: 41
Viewing posts 1 to 15
Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

Day 1: Introduction (and ready-made mechanics of movement)

Hello! This is my second jam, so please be understanding (judge as strictly as possible I need to develop my skills :)). In general, I’ve been wondering such a thing - rogue-like with the special mechanics of killing opponents. We will dig holes in which they will fall. Cunning yes?
It seems to me that this fits the topic and will be unusual. So, I got such a thing. It seemed to me ridiculous to lay out a freedom error with a rigitbody. Of course I corrected her, but I'll leave this gif :D

Subscribe to the topic, so as not to miss the news about the development of my project! 

Submitted

Day 2: Traps, lives and triggers.

Hello! So my second day of development passed! Today I made the triggers, trap, life and death of the hero (I don’t want him to die, look how cute he is, but what to do :( ). Oh, by the way, I need an artist who can draw cool puff effects for the death of the main character. In pixel art, of course.
Well, okay, the graphics come later. So far, the logic and how it works there. The player steps on the trap, it activates and hits it. Very painful. He loses one life and if he loses everything, then he will disappear (I do not like the word die, let’s live without it).
I also added a door, it opens using the interaction button (a hint will always be above your head). So far I have not set up the animation, but there is a trigger that will send you to where the door leads via the loading screen. By the way, I did not decide what it would be. Waiting for your ideas in the comments.

Subscribe to this topic so as not to miss the new development logs!

(+1)

The game looks very nice.

Submitted

Oh, thanks :) 

Submitted(+1)

I like the design alot, did you do all of  it?

Submitted

No, I used an asset from 0x72 and Superdark. Follow the links to see these assets. Oh, and I took the interface design from this dude: o-lobster. The rules said that you can use assets. If I understand the rules correctly.

But I developed the game design myself. Just like the code.

Submitted(+1)

Thats Cool, Cant wait to see it finished

Submitted(+1)

i also have one more question, how did you make the spike, i have tried many things but none have worked

Submitted (1 edit)

I created a trigger by hitting which player activates the spikes. The animation of the spikes includes a hurtbox which is already registered as a damage if a hitbox player is within the hurtbox.

Submitted(+1)

Thanks, This really helps!

Submitted

I'm glad I helped you. If you need anything, write, I will try to help 😊

Submitted(+1)

I LOVE THIS!!! We're also making a roguelike :D come check it out! https://vikepic.itch.io/rogueminer

Submitted(+1)

Your game is great too, I like it! She's not finished yet? Enemies will attack me?) And maybe it’s worth doing not auto digging and auto attack, but so that I influence this? It seems to me that it will be more interesting. But the idea is very cool! Keep it up!

Submitted

thanks a lot for your feedback!! you're right, autoaim and autodig kinda feel a little bit dull atm... its easier to pick up but feels a bit restrictive... and of course, it's not finished yet!!! hehehe

Submitted(+1)

Dude, I'm looking forward to playing your project. I loved the gameplay. I think it's a very cool gameplay. It gives freedom to choose where to go instead of a limited dungeon, albeit procedurally generated. 

Submitted

Damn, means so much to me that you feel this way about the game <3

hope I won't dissapoint ya!!!

(+1)

Game looks good.

Submitted

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed this :) 

Submitted (1 edit)

Day 3: Chest and random loot.

Hello again. Today I added a random booty chest. In the end, we all go to the dungeon for prey, right? Well, of course, even kill a couple of monsters, but this is secondary. But what is it? Can a chest be a monster ?! Oh no, again these facial expressions. Forever they spoil our entire passage, appearing at the most inopportune moment. But I like these monsters precisely because of their unexpectedness! So I added them to my game. I also like that not every chest happens to be loot, so you can stumble upon an empty chest. But do not worry! Everything is fair! And the chances are equal! Almost equal. Loot appears a little more often than facial expressions and an empty chest. But loot can be dangerous. It could be a poison potion. Be careful please. And yes, how do you like the idea of randomly changing the characteristics of potions with each launch? As was the good old Rogue. Write your opinion in the comments!

Subscribe to this topic so as not to miss the new development logs!

Submitted

that mimic lookin N I C E

Submitted(+1)

Looks promising! 

I love the idea of random loot / potions with different effects! It just has to strike a fine balance I think, random stuff might be a fun and engaging surprise or something completely random that might frustrate the player.

What might be cool is to get fun effects from potions like glowing a different color, going fast, or going tiny, something like that.

Submitted

Good idea, I’m thinking of making a balance in which a random potion will not pose you. And the idea with funny effects is really cool.

I will try to come up with a couple of such effects and describe them in tomorrow's devlog.

Submitted(+1)

I LOVED your artstyle . I really want to play this one!

Submitted(+1)

Oh thank you. But for the art you need to thank the creators of the assets that I used: 0x72, Superdark and o-lobster

I think the best thanks are to subscribe to them :)

Submitted(+1)

Nice, looking forward to playing it

Submitted

I'm glad that you liked it, on the weekend the game will be ready :)

Submitted(+1)

Really cool!

Submitted

Thank you 😊

Submitted

Day 4: Crosshair and digging

A-a-and hello again! So the fourth day has ended! Today I have prepared for you a gif with a scope system (it just revolves around you, but that’s enough) and digging. Digging takes place on ways to create an object on top of the tile map in int coordinates. This provides us with an exact match of sprites and the absence of unpleasant artifacts. You cannot walk through holes! Be careful not to trap yourself! This will be the main element of all the "puzzles" at my levels. Yes, the dungeon will be randomly generated, but the rooms will be pre-prepared. I don’t want to write a lot today, because everything I did is visible on the GIF.

Write your opinion about what happened. Is it worth adding some kind of pickaxe animation when creating a hole? Or does it look good? And also for everyone who wants to host the first playtest of my project tomorrow! You can finally play it!

P.S: Subscribe to this topic so as not to miss the new development logs!

Submitted (2 edits)

Day 4.5: Attention project broke

Hello. That's the thing. I decided to do a way through the Brakeys lesson, but apparently screwed up somewhere and I stopped working rigitbody2d and a couple of other elements. If I throw my project here, you can see it and understand what the reason is? There's a lot of real is realized and I'm sorry to lose it all. 

And now I understand why i need to do version control. 

Updated: OK I picked myself up and created a new project in which I made a beautiful structure of all the elements and it became cleaner and faster to work. Tomorrow there will be diaries with a new version of my project. I've already done a way for the enemy. And moving everything from the old project is not difficult. I think I can handle it till tomorrow, but maybe the diaries will come out a little later than usual. 

I've run into difficulties, but I'm not going to give up. I'm going to finish this project no matter what! 

Updated 2: I fixed the project! And added new elements. Now the game looks better (in my opinion). Devlog will be released today (20.02.2020). You will be able to appreciate all the changes. And if I have time, tomorrow you can test the game. 

Submitted

Day 5: Enemy AI and ramdom rooms (+vfx)

Hi guys! I fixed the project, added something new and am ready to present it to you! It took me 8 hours to do everything and I practically redid my project. I am very tired so I am going to rest a day. And after that I will release a ready-made game! And you can play it! I created two gifs, because each should not weigh more than 3 mb. You can look at what I did and share your opinion!

Go to the "sent" on Sunday and you will see my game there! Also here I will post a link to it.
And now I’m going to rest...

P.S: Subscribe to this topic so as not to miss the new development logs!

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Great work Maribor! Happy you were able to solve the issues with the project. I cannot wait to try the game out!

I have one silly question, what software do you use to make the gif and not loose quality over it? 

If you look at my post, I got serious quality drop down in the gif itself..

Thanks!

Submitted(+1)

Hey ejsergi! I use a bandicamp to record a video and convert it to a gif using this site: link. do not forget to indicate at what time and for what second the video you need to make a gif. There you can also choose a method for creating gifs. I use "FFMPEG" and size: "Original (up to 600px.)" but you can use "Original (up to 800px.)" if you are satisfied with the size (mb) of the finished GIF.

Submitted(+1)

Great! Thanks!!

Submitted(+1)

Congratulations!  I know how hard it can be to come back from losing everything... Can't wait for you to submit it!

Submitted

Yes, it really was hard. But very soon I will send my project :)

Submitted(+1)

Day  6: Better to see once than hear a hundred times! (Video)

Hey guys! I shot a video clip about my game. Here you see everything that is at the moment. Therefore, less text. We look and share comments!

By the way, I figured out how to end the game (unless of course you have enough strength to reach the end). Is it worth it? Or leave the arcade? Or do two modes at all? I am inclined to the latter. By the way, as you may have noticed, the game is very complicated. In my opinion. And yes, I thought so. (Any of your bugs are your features!)

Submitted

Great work Maribor! It looks really nice!! :)

Submitted

Thank you. All that's left is to add more rooms and make the second game mode with the ending. 

I'm afraid there may be a lot of bugs in it that I might not notice, but I don't think they'll ruin your impression. 

Submitted

Day 7: Fatigue and Design Levels.

Making a game in such a tight time is very difficult. So I started getting up and burning out. But I made 7/12 levels of rooms today, which will come across you by accident. I'd like to share some gif, but I didn't have time to prepare them. I hope I have time to finish the remaining parts of the project in 17 hours. 

I'm going to make the most of the rest of the time. And I'm going to release an update or a modified version of the game a little later. And you can join! 

Thanks to everyone who helped me morally and answered my questions in this topic. I love you guys! Thank you! 

P.S. Release tomorrow in... An hour before the end of the jam think, or two. Maybe three. P.S. Release tomorrow in... An hour before the end of the jam think, or two. Maybe three. I'll try to finish as soon as possible. 

And hopefully you don't upset what can happen so the levels will just be corridors without any secrets. 

Submitted

👏👏👏👏

Submitted

Extra Day: Release! 

Hello everybody! I am ready to present you the final version of my jam game. Go to the project page and enjoy!