At the title screen you can hit either of the player's action keys ("." or "1") to start - then at the Ready screen each player has to hit their action key to signal that they're ready.
Recent community posts
We still really love Sort the Court, but we don't currently have any plans to update it any further. We might return to it one day or make something else in this universe, but for the time being we've moved on to other projects.
We don't have any actual system requirements figured out, Sort the Court is a pretty minimal program so it should run fine on most PCs. It's made using the Unity game engine, which lists their minimum requirements as follows:
- OS: Windows 7 SP1+, macOS 10.11+, Ubuntu 12.04+, SteamOS+
- Graphics card with DX10 (shader model 4.0) capabilities.
- CPU: SSE2 instruction set support.
Best way to know for sure is just to give it a try! :)
Would you be able to send your save file to email@example.com ? If the save is in the correct location then there must be some other issue, it would help me to have a copy of the file in question.
We still really love Sort the Court, but we don't currently have any plans to update it any further. Might return to it one day or make something else in this universe, but for the time being we've moved on to other projects.
The first update to Field of Fate since its original build is now here! In the game, you will notice on the title screen and in the bottom right corner of the menu there is now text saying "Version 0.1.0". This is where you'll be able to keep track of which version of the game you're playing, should you ever need to know.
Version 0.1.0 fixes a bunch of things I didn't like about the prototype build, addresses several points of feedback from the prototype feedback thread, and starts laying the groundwork for the game to expand out into a larger project. Here are the details of what's changed:
Field of Fate Version 0.1.0
- Added the Codex.
- Accessible via the main menu, or by clicking on trait names and unit titles, the Codex is a compendium of information about various aspects of the game. New topics will be added to it in future updates as the game becomes larger.
- Added several new types of units.
- Alongside the traditional chess-based units, 5 original types of unit have been added.
- Re-balanced all unit stats.
- Health and damage values for all unit types have been tweaked as the first step in the ongoing process of balancing.
- Battle grid now shows a green preview of where a unit can move when you mouse over it.
- Added new map generation logic for a greater variety of enemy encounters.
- Your first 3 summons are now balanced instead of being completely random.
- Added support for different aspect ratios when playing the game fullscreen.
- Changed the UI for gaining summoning XP, and sped up the animation.
- Sped up some of the movement and battle animations.
- Julian made some tweaks to a couple of the music tracks.
- Added new icons for all traits.
- Added version number labels to various places in the game.
- Fixed a bug where a unit's traits gained through relationships would sometimes not count.
- Fixed a bug where the game would sometimes lock up when transitioning between scenes very quickly.
- Attempted to fix a bug where shaders did not render properly on some machines.
Thank you to everybody who tried the prototype and offered their feedback! This update is the first of what I hope to be many, as I start building out Field of Fate into the larger game that I want it to be. Please let me know what you think of this new version in this thread!
Thanks for the notes! I definitely agree about range checking on hover, and I'll make a standalone build at some point in the future. Having HP on units is something I really want to do, so I'm going to try some other things to maybe address that feedback in a different way :)
Thank you for the feedback! I think I agree with your comments on balance, using existing chess pieces was kind of just a way to make the scope of this idea manageable and get it off the ground into a playable state - but I think you're right about coming up with custom unit types that fit this particular design and working on balance. Will be thinking about that as I build out some other features :)
The zip file you downloaded for Sort the Court includes both an exe file and a "SortTheCourt_Data" folder. You need to unzip the entire zip file and then run the exe from the unzipped location. If you try to run the exe from inside the zip without unzipping it first, it won't work. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the details! That's my bad, I accidentally made a build for 64-bit systems only without realizing it. Try downloading the 32-bit version I've added: My Magical Friend (Windows 32bit) - hopefully that works.
Hi Viko, sorry about all the crashing! I don't have a mac myself so I'm unable to do any proper testing of that version. I might not be able to do anything about these issues, but just in case - could you get the game to crash again, then email your crash log (found at ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log) to support @ graemeborland.com?
That's odd! I tried recording with OBS (v0.659b on Windows 8.1) myself and it worked fine in both monitor and window mode, so there must be something different about your setup. What operating system are you using? And you're using the most recent version of Sort the Court, correct? (should say 2.2.0 in the upper right on the title screen)
Since the music is an original work created for the game, it is indeed copyrighted, as is all creative work, but you're totally free to use it in a video about Sort the Court! I've made a post here granting explicit permission for anyone who wishes to do so. We love that people are making videos about the game and want that to continue! :)
The contents of Sort the Court may be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from Sort the Court is legally & explicitly allowed by the developers.
- Can I make a YouTube video of Sort the Court? Yes.
- Can I use the music from Sort the Court in a video about Sort the Court? Yes.
If you have any questions not covered in this thread, please create a new thread about your concern.