Hi there, I am still working on this game albeit very slowly! There's a lot more I have planned for it that I hope to get to eventually, I just work on it bit by bit when I have time.
Recent community posts
I appreciate the additional info! I've updated the mac build to hopefully resolve the issue. If you're willing to give it another shot, try downloading a fresh copy of the game. In researching this a bit, I've read that another potential issue is that the game may not work correctly if you use an app other than the default Archive Utility to unzip it.
Hi! My apologies, there appears to be a bug in this version of the game engine where mouse sensitivity becomes very high for some people when using vsync. Try turning off vsync in the game's pause menu. Failing that, I've also uploaded a new build with a better mouse sensitivity setting that you can turn all the way down to 1% - so if you're willing to give it another go, download the game again to access that updated setting.
Thanks! Yeah I intend to keep working on it going forward, adding a whole bunch of stuff and tweaking things like that :) I started a bit before procjam's official start date, since I don't have time to jam most weekdays - so this represents the equivalent of roughly 5 or 6 actual days of work I think..
We still really love Sort the Court, but we don't currently have any plans to update it any further. We might return to it one day or make something else in this universe, but for the time being we've moved on to other projects.
We don't have any actual system requirements figured out, Sort the Court is a pretty minimal program so it should run fine on most PCs. It's made using the Unity game engine, which lists their minimum requirements as follows:
- OS: Windows 7 SP1+, macOS 10.11+, Ubuntu 12.04+, SteamOS+
- Graphics card with DX10 (shader model 4.0) capabilities.
- CPU: SSE2 instruction set support.
Best way to know for sure is just to give it a try! :)
Would you be able to send your save file to firstname.lastname@example.org ? If the save is in the correct location then there must be some other issue, it would help me to have a copy of the file in question.
We still really love Sort the Court, but we don't currently have any plans to update it any further. Might return to it one day or make something else in this universe, but for the time being we've moved on to other projects.
The first update to Field of Fate since its original build is now here! In the game, you will notice on the title screen and in the bottom right corner of the menu there is now text saying "Version 0.1.0". This is where you'll be able to keep track of which version of the game you're playing, should you ever need to know.
Version 0.1.0 fixes a bunch of things I didn't like about the prototype build, addresses several points of feedback from the prototype feedback thread, and starts laying the groundwork for the game to expand out into a larger project. Here are the details of what's changed:
Field of Fate Version 0.1.0
- Added the Codex.
- Accessible via the main menu, or by clicking on trait names and unit titles, the Codex is a compendium of information about various aspects of the game. New topics will be added to it in future updates as the game becomes larger.
- Added several new types of units.
- Alongside the traditional chess-based units, 5 original types of unit have been added.
- Re-balanced all unit stats.
- Health and damage values for all unit types have been tweaked as the first step in the ongoing process of balancing.
- Battle grid now shows a green preview of where a unit can move when you mouse over it.
- Added new map generation logic for a greater variety of enemy encounters.
- Your first 3 summons are now balanced instead of being completely random.
- Added support for different aspect ratios when playing the game fullscreen.
- Changed the UI for gaining summoning XP, and sped up the animation.
- Sped up some of the movement and battle animations.
- Julian made some tweaks to a couple of the music tracks.
- Added new icons for all traits.
- Added version number labels to various places in the game.
- Fixed a bug where a unit's traits gained through relationships would sometimes not count.
- Fixed a bug where the game would sometimes lock up when transitioning between scenes very quickly.
- Attempted to fix a bug where shaders did not render properly on some machines.
Thank you to everybody who tried the prototype and offered their feedback! This update is the first of what I hope to be many, as I start building out Field of Fate into the larger game that I want it to be. Please let me know what you think of this new version in this thread!
Thanks for the notes! I definitely agree about range checking on hover, and I'll make a standalone build at some point in the future. Having HP on units is something I really want to do, so I'm going to try some other things to maybe address that feedback in a different way :)
Thank you for the feedback! I think I agree with your comments on balance, using existing chess pieces was kind of just a way to make the scope of this idea manageable and get it off the ground into a playable state - but I think you're right about coming up with custom unit types that fit this particular design and working on balance. Will be thinking about that as I build out some other features :)
The zip file you downloaded for Sort the Court includes both an exe file and a "SortTheCourt_Data" folder. You need to unzip the entire zip file and then run the exe from the unzipped location. If you try to run the exe from inside the zip without unzipping it first, it won't work. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the details! That's my bad, I accidentally made a build for 64-bit systems only without realizing it. Try downloading the 32-bit version I've added: My Magical Friend (Windows 32bit) - hopefully that works.