SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Which softwares do you use ?

A topic by Selkione created Jun 18, 2021 Views: 214 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted (1 edit)

Hi !

This is the first time I try a jam (if my toddler let me 3 hours during the weekend)  and I wonder which softwares do you use ?

I intend to use :

Gamemaker Studio 2 (coding)

Aseprite (sprites and tiles)

Reason (music and sfx)

but I have the feeling, I won’t be able to do all that in only 3 hours...

Jam Host(+2)

The software you intend to use sounds good, you should be able to make a game! It's likely that at first you'll go over the 3 hour limit, but that's ok, it's part of the learning process! Once you get better at planning and executing, you can beat the 3 hour challenge. So just go for it, make games, you'll have a portfolio of prototypes and valuable experience! :)

Submitted

I spend 8 hours ! (And the half of it on YouTube watching tutorials)

I’m really impress by the other games and even more by the short time they took to make them.

(+1)

I use:

Scratch

Scratch image editor

No music

Submitted

I use Godot and Aseprite. I, too, spent 8 hours on my game. This is my third attempt at Trijam (first jam went overtime and second one left unfinished), and I feel 3 hours is reachable with enough repetition (and small enough scope!).

Submitted

I used Gamemaker Studio: 1.4 and Aseprite (I didn't make my own sounds). I managed in just about 3 hours (slightly under 3:15) by making use of a solid planning and scope. I started by making an asset list, then making the art (~1 hour), then creating the actual game (~1.5 hour) and then finetuning it (~0.5-0.7 hour). The key part of having only 3 hours is that you have no time for iterations. You gotta commit to what you're making.

Submitted

Personally, I used/use:

Engine: Unity

Art: Aseprite

Music/Sound: random generators for now

They all have worked great together so far. I saved a lot of time by reusing the same sprites and editing them superficially when possible. The Civilians in my game are the same base sprite, but I hurriedly painted over the clothes and hair to make new ones. Saved loads of time. 

Submitted

Which random generator do you use for the sound ? (it could be intresting to save a lot of time)

Submitted

I use a few, though this jam I specifically used these:

Background music: WolframTones

Sound FX: SFXR

Also, you can try this one, its more complicated but its got some cool results: Abundant Music