Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What is the policy on using snippets of code from my previous TriJam Game(s)?

A topic by Rodulane created May 05, 2021 Views: 177 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Hello! I have participated in the last 2 Trijams, and the experience has been amazing! 

I use Pico-8 to develop games, and in TriJam #118 I completed all the code from scratch even though a few portions of code were similar to my TriJam #117 submission. However, Pico-8 development can be quite a bit time intensive when doing everything from scratch since, unlike a standard engine, there is a lot of functionality and sort of "tool" functions you need to manually code in every time for most games. So, to help meet the 3 hour recommended deadline, I am wondering what is the policy on using snippets of code from a previous submission, when it would save a bit of time (e.g., a collision function I coded that basically stays the same between games). 

If it is allowed for me to use bits of code I created previously, then I will also set my own policy to only use code that I have used in previous TriJams, as opposed to using bits of code I have written generally in the past but not submitted as part of a TriJam game (this self-policy just feels like it will be more fun). However, if using snippets of code I wrote in previous TriJams is not allowed, then I will continue to write all code from scratch even if it adds quite a bit to the time.

Thank you in advance for answering this question, and I look forward to taking part in every TriJam for the foreseeable future!

Submitted(+1)

In your game description, just put you used some code from your previous Trijams.

On using pre-made assets: make sure you have the necessary rights to the assets you use in your game. 
Be aware that using assets that you yourself (or your team-member) 
didn't create during the jam time may affect your game's rating. 
Clearly state all pre-made assets you used on your game's itch.io page and link to where they originated from.
Submitted (1 edit)

Thanks for the reply! And that could be the way to go, although not sure if that portion is interpreted in that way for code as well, since I don’t normally consider code to be an asset (I interpreted that rule to seem more related to art, music, etc. and interpreted it as being that all raw code needed to be completely new every time).

Either way, always better to be on the transparent side! Although if that’s the case then probably worth just rewriting the tool code brand new for each jam to not get a lower rating even though it’s identical each time lol

(+1)

This is a good question. I feel it's more like a part of framework in the same way engines are. I too thought of setting up a template project for myself which includes simple menu and pause functions. It's something that takes up less than half an hour to make, but with 3 hour deadline it's a lot.

In the end, as quoted above, it's the other participants who decide ie. rate the game according to info provided.

I'm not participating on this particular weekend but also plan to join future jams semi-regularly :)

Submitted(+2)

Hm, haven't really thought about it. I usually use some old lines of code instead of researching how to do stuff all over again. Some people use extensive code librarys(e.g. DOTween) and depending on the engine the amount of stuff already in it varies greatly (e.g. Unity Monobehaviour, physics etc). When it comes to code you basically always use a pretty large amount of "assets" (if you want to call it an asset) unless you create your own engine from scratch. 

TL;DR - I think generic code and features should be fine but distinguishing features/mechanics should always either be created in the jam or listed as an asset.