Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Kickstarter

A topic by Long Tail Games created Dec 17, 2021 Views: 598 Replies: 16
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Host (1 edit) (+1)

You may have noticed the recent announcement from Kickstarter re: blockchain. 

It sucks and I don't like it. 

However, unless something changes (and Kickstarter actually releases a lot more detail about the shift), I am planning to crowdfund Tiny Tome with Kickstarter. I completely understand if folks want to remove their game from this project, and now is the time to do so.

After some reflection, I have chosen to withdraw my games from the jam for this reason. Sucks that you have been put in this position, though. I was excited for the jam.

Host(+1)

Sad to hear that but I completely understand. Please see this link for more information: 

https://longtailgames.gumroad.com/p/the-kickstarter-update-december-2021

Submitted (1 edit)

I appreciate your choice to be upfront about this, but I don't think I can submit my games for this reason. I totally understand the position you are in and will submit if the situation changes.

On this front, I assume you have explored other funding platforms, but have you looked into GameFound? I have not had much opportunity to research them, but they seem like a viable alternative.

Host(+1)

Sorry to hear that but again I completely understand your decision. I actually plan on moving Long Tail completely onto Gamefound as soon as the current projects are finished. More information: 

https://longtailgames.gumroad.com/p/the-kickstarter-update-december-2021

Submitted

I really appreciate how you are approaching this and might consider submitting now, but will need to think about it. It seems like you are planing to start the Kickstarter before the switch to Blockchain occurs? Is there a way for those participating to have a rough idea of when you are thinking of starting the Kickstarter project?

Host

At the moment Kickstarter has only announced '2022' as the switch to blockchain, so I'm not sure exactly when that will be. However, the campaign for Tiny Tome will definitely be in February. I suspect this will be before the switch occurs but can't be certain. I completely understand it's a tough decision at the moment so please let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to be as helpful as possible! 

Submitted

You have been extremely helpful and thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Submitted

Hey, not really tech knowledgeable. Could someone tldr what is  blockchain/why it is problematic?? I read ks's release and it seems like word salad, and read over your helpful breakdown longtail, but still don't really understand whats going on. Thanks for your time!

Host (1 edit) (+1)

This article is a pretty good round-up of the issues from the perspective of tabletop games on Kickstarter:  https://www.dicebreaker.com/companies/kickstarter/news/kickstarter-blockchain-cr...

Honestly nobody knows exactly what Kickstarter is planning to do with their blockchain implementation. This means the fears cover everything from cryptocurrency implementation (with its associated carbon footprint), to an attempt to dodge regulation (with the idea that the blockchain is 'ungovernable') and NFT implementation (with its obvious grift and ponzi-scheme economics). 

Submitted

I see, thanks for the breakdown!

Submitted

Thanks for being so open about this. Lucky Newt Games has already taken a stance against using Kickstarter. However, I know you are actively working towards moving away from them and I have faith that this will be out before KS makes the switch. That, and it's hard to not want to support someone who has been as awesome as yourself. 

Therefore, we will continue to submit games into this project.

(+1)

What are the repercussions of Kickstarter moving to Blockchain, and what could have spurred them to do so? I've been looking for a while, and this just seems like a useless move for such a powerful platform as Kickstarter

Submitted (1 edit)

Apparently it has a negative ecological impact. I am convinced blockchains stink, but I don’t know how serious the impact of this project is compared to, say, using my car. Also, while I am mostly speaking out of ignorance, I wonder how KS was any good for the environment before that move. So mostly, waiting for info.

And of course, thank you for the info in the first place, Long Tail Games!

Host(+3)

Honestly nobody knows exactly what Kickstarter is planning to do with their blockchain implementation. This means the fears cover everything from cryptocurrency implementation (with its associated carbon footprint), to an attempt to dodge regulation (with the idea that the blockchain is 'ungovernable') and NFT implementation (with its obvious grift and ponzi-scheme economics). 

Maybe I was naive, but I've personally lost a lot of faith in Kickstarter based purely on their lack of information about this whole shift. A lot of people depend on this platform to pay the rent - and none of them know what's happening, why, or when. 

Submitted

Was the February campaign date tied to ZineQuest for promotional purposes? If so do you see any potential shift to align with the delay of Zone Quest?

Cheers!

Host

Good question! I did think about linking the project to ZineQuest, but ultimately it wasn't a natural fit for that. So there will be no change to the intended campaign dates.