Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What if you are not an artist?

A topic by Adventuron created May 26, 2020 Views: 186 Replies: 11
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Host

This jam has an art requirement but it doesn't have a "excellent" art requirement

If you are not a natural artist, keep things very simple and abstract and focus on the game design instead. You can make a location out of abstract shapes if you wish.

I'm not an artist and I kept things simple when making location graphics for dinosaur island dx (the loading screen wasn't mine though). If I can do it, anyone can do it.

Please don't use digitised art (converted from a photo). It tends to look bad when shown at a low resolution and actually takes you out of the fantasy realm too.

Colourful graphics are the order of the day.

Good luck!

Chris

Submitted

I'm not an artist either - far from it - but attempting to make graphics with limited skills has actually been one of the most enjoyable challenges in making these games, I've found.

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

Submitted (1 edit)

Don't be afraid and have fun. I'm not an artist either, so I choose a resolution of 32 x 10 px, which allowed me to quickly make a hundred nice (if you like this style) pictures.

Host

Very colourful!

You are targeting ZX Next right?

Submitted

Yeah, but the face is a ghost.

I don't know how to use DRC and the emulator under Linux for the moment, but I will try to make my code compatible.

Submitted

It doesn't look like a ghost. It looks a bit like Dee.

Submitted

I didn't do it on purpose, probably my unconscious...

Submitted

:D

I am for example  using a small tileset and create screens from these tiles. The screens look like an old 2D 8bit game. :)  It is much faster for this type of game enviroment i will use. Have a look.

Submitted

Oh No! More Lemmings
(Maybe you're too young to have played this...)

Well, i did play lemmings on a zx speccy so that can tell something about my age :-p. Not a fan of it. I liked Rick Dangerous more at the times then.

Submitted

Rick Dangerous, great. I played it on Atari ST.