Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DevLog] Confection Connection

A topic by myserval created Jan 06, 2018 Views: 3,133 Replies: 26
Viewing posts 8 to 21 of 21 · Previous page · First page
Host

OHHHHH SPACE?? VISUAL NOVEL? RESTAURANT SIM?? i'm so into this. i'm not sure if you've played the bartending sim but this kind of makes me think of that. also the pixel bgs you have so far are so charming! this earth kiddo looks really great so far... i'm actually really in love with the hair with bird nesting haha. i'm curious to see what kind of mini-game you go with!

On behalf of the team, thank you! I for one was super super excited about the mix of space / VN / restaurant sim (its basically the reason i joined the team) We're all super eager to see the finished product

(2 edits) (+1)

ALllllright  ..... DAY 4!

We're really starting to make some solid progress! Today, quite a bit got done (for a weekday of course) - and we'll start with today's character; Heather.

To quote our character design document, 

She...is a mythic bitch. Sassy, snarky, quick-witted and ‘opinionated’

She's a great political leader running for office in the election .... but she's sorta racist. Erm, speciesist? ...... She has some old-fashioned opinions towards other species. Here's the conversational art for her (animated, too; oooooh!):

And here's her counter sprite, created by Banrabbit:

That's how she'll look sitting at the counter, more or less. She'll have multiple emotion states depending on how she's feeling. 

Speaking of the counter, here's Iris's finalized backgrounds for the counter and for the kitchen screens.

Pretty sweet, huh? 

Alright next up, audio. 

Myserval took to odd sound tactics (aka foley) to produce some food and counter sounds. M&Ms, sprinkles, plates and breads all went into the sound blender and came out sounding pretty convincing. Here's all of the final sounds, back to back in less than 30 seconds: 

http://clyp.it/e00rh4hb?token=cfb8fb2e20e32a077764cf65311bfda2

Oh, and foaming handsoap too, for some of the creamy sorts of sounds.

Our programmer made some headway on planning out the cooking mechanic. The recipe system  is already in the build of the game, so whatever we decide on in regards to a mini game should fit within that system. Also, we'll have to work on how exactly the whole mini game fits in in the context of the game, so it's not just some tacked-on time filler. 
That being said, though, we're planning on the prep method changing the mechanics of the mini game a bit, like the fridge vs a shaker.

Anyways, thanks as always for reading and I hope to see you here again tomorrow for another weekday

More dog! ^^

-Myserval 

(3 edits)

Today was a bit quieter but nonetheless: 

Let's kick today off by looking at where the build of the game is at. 

It's crazy what a little art and a font change can do, huh? The clock functionality is in as you can see in the top right corner, and I'll be posting videos of this in action as we get closer to a finished product.

The kitchen features tabs for keeping track of the orders from customers in the top left corner.

As Iris and Banrabbit begin to create UI elements, they'll be added to the build.

Iris and Banrabbit began working on the second mainline character, who you'll see soon enough ;) I can tease a bit though; she's not human.

Tibby created and Myserval transcribed into the computer the theme for that same second character, which you'll also hear soon enough ;)

Myserval worked on some UI sfx, including page turns, saving, and various fanfare.

Tibby finished day one dialogue for Heather, our first mainline character.

Sweetheart, I know you must be starstruck but try to keep it together. Surely you recognise me? Heather Brawen, politician. Remember - Branwen can win.

I'll refrain from posting the whole thing in here so you can read it for yourself when you play the game, but trust me, it's great! She also worked on day one for that second character ... I really should just introduce her ... don't get too blue though!

We're definitely getting to the part where I've gotta be careful what I show, but today I just genuinely don't have much to show you guys other than to just say "X did this, Y did that" so hopefully you weren't looking forward to anything huge!

also no dog. Yeah I know, I'm disappointed too

Thanks and I'll see ya tomorrow!

-Myserval

(2 edits)

Alright I may not be able to post anything big tomorrow so today's gonna be a pretty big one(for a wednesday)! Prepare your butts!

OKay okay okay so I'm gonna finally show you guys the second mainline character (at almost halfway through yeah ... okay)

Ready?

Its ....

Theo! Yes, its two girls and yes, the main character is a girl. shh there'll be boys in the full game. But for now these two characters pose the most interesting and variable writing styles we'd like to shoot for in the finished game, so we thought they'd be fitting for the demo. Anyways, 

Theo is an Aerian fashion designer. Well, her full name is Theokleia Lycholos, but she goes by Theo. 

Theo is gentle, level-headed and mature but clever and quick-thinking, with a mischievous and rebellious streak

Here's some concept art from way back at the beginning of the process for Theo. 

So I don't wanna show you her final design yet so there can at least be a little dramatic tension, so let's take a bit of a detour, to the audio department!
Here's that theme from yesterday for Theo:

https://clyp.it/fdmgr1z3?token=5bf885deefc0b7e0ee55d8704f01dfcf

It's pretty unfinished but that's generally sortof the sound it could maybe sound like ... or it'll get scrapped all together. Who knows?? Game Jams! (aka tibby hasn't even heard this version yet... time zones!)

In writing, Tibby went through and finished day one for Theo, and started day two for heather. Iris went back through and provided script editing and that means that the writing for day one is just about finished! 

Iris then made a starry background for the cafe.

Okay enough stalling! Here's what Theo looks like! (hopefully you're playing her theme in the background here we go!)

Theo has always been a gentle soul and dislikes her people's idea that humans are impure or not worthy of her designs. She fell in love with a human who showed a great interest in her designs but her own people won't accept it and forced her out.

And once again quoting Tibby's backstory document (The pun was too good to leave this one out!)

MC should save these star-crossed (literally) lovers and preach acceptance!

Let's take a look at some of the concepts that brought us to theo:

So from the beginning we wanted Aerians to have two sets of arms. You even saw in the first day's log if you were looking close enough that there was an Aerian concept sketch. IDK if Iris even wants me showing that one so if you didn't, iris, oops

We also had a bit of trouble deciding what the coat should be. We thought that the lepoardprint looked just a bit too primitive for the Aerian race, so we went with a sort of ghost-y transparent overcoat.

Banrabbit finished this VN sprite moments ago~

Also, Iris began working on other generic characters to fill the other seats so that the whole restaurant sim part becomes more of a real portion of the game. 

That's what I can tease for now, but tomorrow, there'll be more of em!

Thanks again for reading! We're almost halfway there, hope you all are holdin' up well! take frequent breaks and stuff and I'll see you around!

-Myserval

Host

HELLO !!! SHE IS MY FAVORITE thank u for catering to my needs. i'm disappointed that there is still no dog in this thread but i'll forgive you because this is really coming along. i'd love to see a gif or video of your cooking mini-game so far in action!! also also: it's actually really neat to see you guys making your own foley :Oc 

(6 edits)

It's been a bit, hasn't it? Well, it's day ... 9 I think ... so that means I gotta catch you all up on days 7 and 8. (plus a little video play-through of the build so far!)

i had to improvise okay?

Anyways, I'll be playing a bit of catch up today what with not having a log for the past couple of days. So here we go! 

HOLDUP WRONG VIDEO OOPS UHHHH

So watch that, that's got 50% of this devlog in it.
Ok we good to continue?

OK that didn't quite work, but I basically showed just the game in it's current state OOOOPSPSSS I'll try again tomorrow haha!

So here's those generic customer sprites I mentioned: 

There's 6 of them for now, and they're all my favorite (though that kid is super sweet I'm sure, pun intended)
These will appear in the place of those weird Natalie sprites. ᴵ ˢʷᵉᵃʳ ᵗʰᵒˢᵉ ᵃʳᵉ ᵍᵒᶰᶰᵃ ʰᵃᵘᶰᵗ ᵐᵉ ᶦᶰ ᵐʸ ˢᶫᵉᵉᵖ ʲᵉˢᵘˢ ᵗʰᵉʸ'ʳᵉ ˢᵒ ᵒᵘᵗ ᵒᶠ ᵖᶫᵃᶜᵉ

As for what's happened since that particular build (that was basically all day 7), our programmer has been working on implementing the visual novel screen and the text to go with it. 

Banrabbit has also been working on getting the UI elements to look good

oh no wait

oops

I anticipate, especially given the speed of our momentum at this point, that we're definitely gonna need to use the buffer days we gave ourselves. We've gotten far, especially far for 8 days, but we've still got a long ways to go before we reach what we'd like. There's a lot of stretch goals that we seem to be able to reach if we work hard at it, but it's not looking likely for some things. We'll see though! I'm just the audio guy so what do I know.

also, important take on (admittedly somewhat tangential) Heathers, the TV show 

OK so if it wasn't clear, here's sorta how the game loop goes.

The customer appears, you have a visual novel type interaction with them, then they go into their waiting stage. They'll have given you their order in their visual novel interaction (and if it's a generic character, it's likely that's all they'll give you). Then, you'll go to the kitchen, cook what they wanted and then leave the kitchen and give it to them. Then, they'll talk a bit more and sit for a bit and enjoy their food.

Tibby has been working a lot more on polishing up dialogue and we're through day 2 for Heather, and at the beginning of day 2 for Theo, so things are going well there. 

On a sorta different note, I wanna introduce more characters to you. You likely won't see them for a while (not in the jam) but I wanna showcase some of what Tibby's been working on! erm, worked on the first day!

(no relation to Griffon Ramsey)

And lastly, Myserval has done absolutely nothing thanks dude 

Thanks all!

- Myserval

I really love the whole look and feel and idea of this game, and I keep meaning to tell you that your devlog is enormous fun to read through. Good luck on getting it done, it's looking really good so far!

Thanks! It's really nice to hear people are actually enjoying the devlog! I'm sure we'll get at least something done, it's definitely a matter of how much of what we wanna get done will be done. Particularly the cooking minigame, I definitely would love to see that but we're 4 and a half days out from the deadline and I have no idea where it's at -- But I know that at the least it's gonna be a great visual novel with cooking elements!

(4 edits)

Alright ... I promised myself that I wouldn't do this two times but here we are ...... Day 9 & 10. Of course it's more bearable because I posted 7&8 at 6:00 on day 9 ᶜᵒᶰᶠᵘˢᶦᶰᵍ⋅⋅⋅

Im gonna start posting based on days left because a) its a lot more dramatic and b) I'm really not sure what day it is. 

Anywho! I've got quite a bit lined up for today. We're gonna start where we usually start, the music

SO Myserval started working on finalizing the sound of the game and he's created a day loop for being in the cafe: 

https://clyp.it/fauhprn5?token=1918e022293cca496a67eeebcdde6032

That's a sort of early version of it, the final version will sound a lot less dissonant. (especially with that weird chord modulation right in the middle) and more dated

He also began picking apart what all was needed for sound effects, and came up with this:

This is a list of the minimal viable product when it comes to sound effects. Okay not minimal, maybe, but definitely simple. It doesn't include UI sounds, like advancing dialogue and the VN side of the game. OK so maybe it isn't minimal viable product. BUT it is what will appear in tomorrow's devlog! Originally, voice acting was going to happen (think Dream Daddy or Fire Emblem, just voice blips more than anything) but that's becoming more of a stretch goal thing. We decided who might be voicing which character but we figure it's wise to figure that all out after we figure out the other parts. 

In art, iris created expressions for all the generic customers:

The art department wasn't really able to do much what with school and sick, so that (along, of course, with all of the other character's expressions) Is all I get to show you. However, three buffer days were planned for the art team (I don't know if I shared the schedule or not), so it should be no problem at all! All that's left is to finish the food sprites and kitchen UI which should definitely be able to be done in 5 days. Things will start ramping up again in the next couple of days as we realize what all needs to be done and we scramble to get stuff done

Here's some writing! You can sorta see the format that we gotta follow for Ren'py

OK i think I maybe lied about having a bit lined up for today. I know a lot got done! I'm just not sure exactly what all got done. It's been two days after all. Writing, of course, continues to advance; Our programmer is adding stuff all the time; art is making things look good; and audio is testing ideas and designing sounds. However I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what because everyone's got their heads down in their work trying to get stuff done! 

I'll go ahead and introduce a new character though! There's three left. 

Alright I think that's it for (two)day! As always I hope you're keeping yourself well and if you're getting sick, sleep! Or something, I'm no doctor.

Thanks!

-Myserval

PS

Tibby totally called it

(1 edit)

weeeooo weeeooo It's that time of the day again! it's time for ...

(its day 11)

Alright, so it's Monday of the final stretch of 5 days (4 days remain at the writing of this post) which means it's jam time!

I don't think I've shown you guys this document yet, so here it is; a 7 page long document detailing every dish and how to make it. 

These are just three of the ~20 recipes in the game. I'd detail them all but it would just take way too long and I don't think you all wanna read through the design documents and I don't particularly wanna go through and screenshot them all. But here's a familiar one:

Banrabbit finalized the designs for the desserts and their recipes.
We also talked a bit about how decorations would work. In particular, making global decorations rather than discreet ones for each recipe.

Alright! Moving on to art!
Starting off is a mock-up of how the prep portion of cooking might end up looking like in-game, with art to support it: 

Banrabbit put together pretty much (i think) all of the UI in the game today
Iris began working on dessert sprites, too. 

Tibby, of course, was continuing the writing part of the game, finishing day two and beginning on day three (presumably with a bunch of editing of previous sections, too) - also this:

And in audio, Myserval finished all of the sound effects for the cooking and the counter mechanics of the game. It's ... unruly:

Okay, maybe not unruly but definitely a lot. Namely, this: 

https://clyp.it/ktsyujmk?token=160b0930229bce76d4bd6b995f95400

It's an ambiance track for when you're at the counter. You can hear the hustle and bustle of the space station that the cafe is attached to. Skip to 0:16 for the good stuff ™

He also got to work on a couple of day themes, particularly in the jazzy realm, which you should be hearing somewhat soon.

That's about it -

Thanks for reading! Stay in school!

-Myserval

We're down to the wire here folks! It's day 12!

Alright this is gonna be a quick one, cause it's late and I wanna sleep. 

Myserval worked on the audio bits, completing (probably) what all needs to be done on the sound effects side, meaning he'll be moving to focus all of his time on polishing music. In particular, the parts of the music that need to get done for the jam, so likely no character themes (but we will definitely see!)
Here's all the sounds he worked on-- there are some repeats from yesterday because they were bad and they should feel bad, but they're good now

Alright now it's time for some recipes. Ban and Iris were hard at work making these puppies: 

er wait ... these kitties:

that's a tiny photo oops you'll have to squint because I totally don't have enough time to fix that 

Speaking of time, (really? that's your segue? ok) Tibby has been spending a lot of time working on the writing, she's halfway through day 4 for the mainline characters. 

Alright and that's all we have time for folks!

Thanks as always for reading and be sure to like comment and subscribe. XxShadowlordxX out!

-Tired Myserval

(1 edit)

Alright this one's gonna be short too, not because I'm tired but because I've only got a bit to show you.

Oh god i actually got nervous typing that ..... Here we go!

Lots of recipes and ingredients got done today! Particularly, these: 

And these:

I hear the constellation drink is to die for ... er wait that's not even funny

Tibby went through and added expression tags to all of the dialogue, to make Heather and Theo emote.

And lastly, there was discussion of an ice cream sandwich recipe. Well, I guess the name. I guess. 

Which, makes sense! Ice cream is cold. But then .... 

oh no

........ so uhh

yeah uhh

https://strawpoll.com/55ew1bpg

I dont wanna leave off on that. So here's another character!

Anyways, that's all I've got to show you for today! Yes the Uranus thing was necessary. Yes it pertains to the development of the game. I'm sorry I put you through that. 

I'll see you in 24 hours!

-Myserval

(1 edit)

oh no.

24 hours left. We're here! We're reaching the final corner before the jam ends. We're all hard at work adding final polishes to everything and filling in the holes that we overlooked during the process. You might have seen an entry pop in and out intermittently as our programmer started building semifinal release candidates for the jam!

So I guess it's inaccurate to say it's the final countdown, since I imagine we'll be fleshing the game out quite a bit more after the jam. So, it's the semifinal (but really beginning of the end sort of) countdown!

In the past day, all of the ingredient art got done, and work began on the Itch.io game page. That's why you might see the game pop in and out of the entries page!

That's a lot! 

There was discussion of adjusting how decorations work (for the time consideration of not making 3 variations of each recipe in 24 hours). The decorations are going to be adjusted to become holographic, and hover more as a garnish than edible decor.

All of the writing is finished, and our programmer started putting all of the new assets into the game. UI, Sounds and a bunch of art sprites all got added to the game. It's all starting to fall into place

speaking of falling, i'm starting to fall asleep so it's wise of me to get out of here before my head hits the keyboard!

But first, the last character:

Thanks! I'll talk to you tomorrow for a recap ............. probably........

-Myserval

Submitted(+1)

oh my gosh I'm super late to this but this devlog is an absolute delight!!! any cooking-related games make me weak i love em so much. I'm super looking forward to playing this game!

Thank you! We're all super proud of how it turned out and it means a whole lot that you like the devlog!

(2 edits)

Hey all just wanted to pop in, and say: The game jam is about to end. You can find our game in the entries tab and we'd love to hear what you think about it! I'll be passing your comments onto the team and I'm sure they'll be happy to hear anything you have to say about it. 

https://itch.io/jam/my-first-game-jam-winter-2018/rate/214586

Thanks all so much for your support and interest and I'm really proud of where our product is at this point. I'll be popping in soon to post a postmortem but until then, thanks for reading!

Viewing posts 8 to 21 of 21 · Previous page · First page