Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Mapemounde Post-mortem

A topic by justinquirit created Apr 18, 2019 Views: 614 Replies: 21
Viewing posts 1 to 11
Submitted(+2)

With less than half an hour on the clock, I'm sure everyone who's submitting a game already has or will soon. Good job, everybody!

How are y'all feeling?

I really enjoyed this jam. It was the least hectic one I've participated in, though only because I didn't join it at the last minute. I actually spotted it a few weeks ago, so I got to work right when the jam started! I'm excited to dive into these map games, but it's almost 3 AM where I live, so it's off to bed. Can't wait to see what everyone's cooked up when I get the chance! 😲🗺️

Submitted(+2)

I'm really happy with how my game went. Honestly really impressed with myself that I managed to put this together in about a week. It was gratifying in several ways, I've wanted to tell stories like the ones you can tell with One Trillion Years for a while now and it feels nice to get that creative energy off my chest. I don't know if I would have gotten the chance if not for this game jam and its theme.

I'm also really looking forward to playing these games. Already got myself a few, including Orichalcum! It looks great so far.

Submitted(+1)

one trillion years is one of the games i was most excited to see finished! (i lurked once or twice on the forum during the jam) i love huge stretches of time, so seeing a history to heat death really caught my eye. i hope i get to play it soon, been busy since the jam ended and haven't been able to read any of the submissions 😢

Submitted(+2)

Ah I had like the opposite experience as you justinquirit. My writing schedule had me booked until the last few days of the jam. I'm really happy with my idea, and how the bones of my game turned out, but I could have used more time for polish/art/layout. Can't wait to read your entries!

Submitted

the last two jams i did i joined with 2 days left, so i totally empathize with that

Submitted(+2)

I actually liked that the time frame for this jam was kinda tight. It meant I had to constrain my concept instead of trying to throw in the kitchen sink as I sometimes feel tempted to do. 

It’s also the first time I really engaged with map games and I really liked it! It speaks to some child-like fascination with drawing and letting my imagination run wild looking at real or fictional maps.

I’m also super impressed by a lot of the submissions I saw. Will make some time to check them out in depth.

Submitted

it was a good length of time for me too. gave me enough time to think about a bunch of ideas for the first few days then condense the concept in the latter half of the jam.

Submitted(+2)

Team Laiv.it has strained practically every last drop of time out of Mapemounde for Endtime Year 21. Since we were working in Italian, we didn't think we'd manage to deliver the game in two different languages, and with snazzy graphics on top of it all. But we're a well-oiled machine, and most of all... We got carried away.
The jam had the perfect timing, right as we played a few map-based games. The chance for a light narrative structure and a physical element to play around with were both very familiar to us chamber larpers.
In the end, it was a brief experience, but an intense one... Shattering, even. But we're happy of what came out of it and we can't wait to try it out.

Thanks to the organizers for the spark and to the participants for fuelling the fire.

Submitted

that is seriously impressive!

Submitted(+1)

I had an idea just some hours after the start of the jam and I refined that. I worked really slowly and I was not productive as I should have been in the central phase of the jam, but I somehow managed to deliver the game in time.

Submitted(+1)

This is my first time, so I'm not sure that I've made a good thing; but it is a finished thing, and that's my takeaway. I'm so prone to letting a thing accrete lots of potential ideas and dwell for so long it becomes inert, it's been really beneficial to have the start and end defined for me. No time to work out if the idea is worth going with, it's the best thing I've got so do as much as I can with it and bang, go.

Submitted

i love jams for this very reason! congratulations on getting something out there 😃

Submitted(+1)

This was my first one, and I found the schedule super tight!

I think that was a good thing in the end, it helped contain my concept to a very focused idea.  This is the first time I've made anything that can be considered a "solo game" and I think it came out okay.

I might give it some additional revisions and expand it into a proper multiplayer game sometime in the future but, for now, it is what it is.

Submitted

as someone who sometimes just wants to play by themself or can't get a group together, i appreciate more solo games 😊

Submitted(+1)

This was my first Itch.io game jam. I was trying to upload my game at the last minute and there was an error. My game was submitted but with no file uploaded. I wasn't sure what to do so I put it in a google drive link in the description. But I think I made a cool thing.

Submitted

Could anyone let me know if my submission is still valid?

HostSubmitted(+2)

Hi, OrionCanning!

You submission is valid.

You can still edit your project by adding documents and making it easier to download. Insert the motivation in the devlog and no one will have to complain. :)

Submitted(+1)

"Uploads are temporarily disabled because voting for Mapemounde is in progress. You'll be able to make changes after the jam is over."

*shrug* I'll upload it after the jam, for now it's linked to on google drive on the game page.

Submitted

It makes sense.

Submitted(+1)

The 10 days timespan is great, but I really wanted two weekend into the jam instead that just one.

This actually won't really matter for this year since my idea comes to me 16hours before the deadline and I rush into the night to finish and deliver it.

It was a lot of fun :D

Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

This was also a feedback someone internal to the organization gave us. I canʼt make promises, because Iʼm just just one brain, but Iʼll vouch for this request for Mapemounde 2020.

Deleted post