Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

pre-jam discussion!! what are we making!!!

A topic by Courtney created Dec 17, 2022 Views: 453 Replies: 27
Viewing posts 1 to 13
Host

hey pals!!! i'm super excited about all the interest in the jam so far and just wanted to see about getting folks talking. does anyone know what they're going to be making yet? any games that are catching your eye, any systems you really want to play around in the space of, any concepts you want to explore? would super love to hear what people are thinking of making once jam hours hit!!

(+1)

I made a Blades playbook once, so maybe something Forged in the Dark or PbtA.  I need to look through the games I have, see what jumps out at me (work & holidays keep eating up my time).
The idea of making a playbook not tied to a specific game sounds interesting, too.

Submitted

I've had some Locked Tomb themed TSL Playbook ideas on the backburner, so maybe going that direction.

Submitted

Holy Shit I am far too excited about this

Submitted

okay so they're called the Corpsewright and the Beefcake and I'm ***this*** close to posting

I've had an idea for a LGBTQ+ focused story for a while. I might make a playbook based on that. However, I am a little confused. Is it just a character book (like the pokemon books) or does it delve into game mechanics and stuff as well? Also, how do we make the playbook? I'm sorry, I'm very new to this.

Host

no apologies necessary!!! generally a playbook will involve some game mechanics, but it depends on the system—i would recommend looking at some of the example games to see what their playbooks look like for some examples!!! some of them are free and all should have community copies available. all you have to do to make it is write it out! some people will do fancy pdf formatting, but just a txt file with the words is also totally fine :>

Submitted (1 edit)

I am also thinking of making some inclusive LGBTIQA+&Queer-themed playbook. Not yet decided, shall it be to any game system. Probably making it a general playbook that doesn't stick, mechanically, to any gaming system. Also, I haven't yet, put in stone, the fact,  shall it be a pdf or a simple RTF file? 
Ps. Wishing You luck on your project.

Wishing you luck as well!!

Submitted

Thanks, mate! <3

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Got a Masks Playbook called The Liminal planned, art all finished for it.

Host(+1)

ohhh this looks SICK, there's so much personality in it!!!

Submitted(+1)

TOTALLY FORGOT YOU COULD REPLY TO COMMENTS DIRECTLY LOL this looks super cool!! Excited to see the final playbook when the jam is over :D

Submitted

I'm thinking of making playbooks as optional gm tools for a game I made in another jam, Meat Channel. Stuff like how to run an investigation or maybe collaborative setting stuff

Submitted

Hello! I just found this game jam and I'm looking forward to it! I've been playing around with making a Belonging Outside Belonging game for a while now, and I think this would really help me get the playbooks written and out into the world! Would something like that work? Also, considering how BOB works, should I submit the Setting Elements sheets as well, since they're modeled after playbooks? Or would that be considered something different?

Host

it's totally fine to submit them both!!! a lot of BoB games use playbooks for settings so that sounds like it makes sense to me!! and if that isn't quite it but you feel like the vibes are right then absolutely go for it :>

Submitted(+1)

Thanks! Glad to hear it! Can't wait for this to start!

Submitted

I was considering doing a Tremulus playbook, but I've made so many of those already I'm running out of ideas. Maybe something for Masks? I'd do Scum & Villainy but honestly I don't know what niche I'd fill that isn't covered by the other playbooks.

...yeah I'm thinking Masks. Love your art for the Liminal btw @FivePointsGames! Looks fantastic.

Submitted(+1)

Thanks!

Submitted

I'm gonna be That Guy who uses this as an opportunity to make something for his own game. >.>

Host(+1)

LOVE THIS FOR YOU

Submitted

I might make a playbook or two for Sunset Kills - I checked and it's licensed under Creative Commons so yeah, that might be my thing.

Submitted

I think I'm going to do Mork Borg. 

(Note: I know I didn't spell it right, but at least I'm pronouncing it closer XD)

We read Dragons of Amylte a while ago and thought it was very cute, so when we saw Heroic Chord on the list, we thought we’d do that. Especially after listening to the first episode of the playtest podcast linked on the page for the Harmony Jam edition.

We haven’t read the actual game rules yet, but ahahaha it’ll probably be fine, right? ^_^;

Submitted(+1)

Heroic Chord is a rad game and I think the system is a lot of fun to write for. I'm excited to see what you'll make!

I joined a bit late, but I've been having an idea kicking around in my head about a RPG where players play owners of a Dungeon who must fend off heroes, I'm new to the whole storygaming scene, and I'm going to try using Harmony Drive to create something interesting surrounding that. Any suggestions on required reading and/or podcasts I could look into for more info?

Host(+2)

ohh i don't know if i have anything to offer (unless you have more specific things you're looking for in terms of resources maybe?) but this sounds SO sick

Thank you so much! I'd mostly like suggestions on what to do in order to best develop for Harmony Drive (The system that heroic chord uses), I'm currently using the SRD and Heroic Chord and No Choice but to Win as resources on how to develop this. I've also included a google drive link into my project topic if you or other people would like to look at my progress and what I'm doing with the system to provide guiding criticism.