Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

A few questions about acceptable resources.

A topic by Game_Taco created Aug 01, 2017 Views: 720 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted(+1)

Hey Matthew I had a few questions about this game jam, and game jams in general.

1. Is starter content for UE4 allowed? Specifically materials, sound effects, particle effects, and the meshes.

2. Can seamless textures be downloaded and used to make PBR materials using Awesome Bump or similar programs?

3. Can sound effects other than music be used like ambient sound, or footsteps and gun fire?

4. Can materials from Substance Painter be used? Would using grunge generators in Substance Painter be ok?

5. Can alphas for volumetrics, scratches, smudges, or grunges be used?

I’ve never entered a game jam, and the entries from the ones I’ve looked at usually just have solid textures or something procedural so I wanted to ask someone with experience, and maybe try my hand at your jam. Thanks for all the great tutorials, and inspiration.

In a previous post where somebody asked about unity's default scripts he said: 
"You can use engine defaults." So you can probably use starter content, but I'm not sure about the rest, I'm a bit curious as well :)

Submitted

I saw that, but it sounded like that was the equivalent to the blueprints in the templates in UE4. I understand using other peoples assets would be cheating (and against the spirit of a game jam) but I've never seen any jams on here specify if default materials or Substance Painter materials are allowed, and it would be sad to be disqualified.

Yeah, hopefully he will give a bit more info about that... preferably sooner rather than later.

HostSubmitted

Feel free to use the substance materials :) Basically if someone takes a bunch of assets and puts them into a game engine they will be disqualified. Any default stuff in an engine or tool should be perfectly fine. 

Submitted

can we make this more clear! if someone uses starter content or the cotrolls of manequeen or the engine content is ok (default stuuf)? but if someone download the learn tab or free marketplace is not?

Submitted

What about Unity's post processing pack? Since it isn't "default" and you have to download it?

Does this mean that tutorial series are included?