Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

is mac export really necessary?

A topic by Evilstone94478 created Aug 13, 2021 Views: 806 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 7

i am too broke to buy a mac and cant run virtual machine cause my pc is weak . What should i do? 

Submitted

You dont need a mac computer to export to a mac

You could export for html5. That is better for Jams anyway.

thanks

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

There are rare instances in which a Mac is required to build a version for macOS. Most game engines allow you to make Mac builds pretty easily.

There are only a couple instances I know of where you need a Mac:

Like @ASecondGuy has said, if your engine has the ability to export to HTML5, you may want to do that if you’re worried that the Mac build will not work. Just a heads-up, though, that it may not work correctly in Safari on a Mac; I’ve tried playing many games online for jams, and it seems Unity WebGL doesn’t play nicely with Safari.

(+1)

This jam requires you to use Godot, am I not right?

Submitted

Yes, it does, though my advice can be applied generally.

Godot does support macOS export.

(+1)

One great way to handle this is simply a GitHub Action for your game that automatically exports for Mac (and all platforms): https://github.com/vini-guerrero/godot-exporter

Submitted(+1)

I strongly encourage this.  Did it last jam I tried and it made things so much easier.

(+2)

I'm a linux user and have always had success exporting to Windows and Mac using the Godot Engine.  So, don't sweat it.  It will more than likely work.

If you do an HTML5 export, I would suggest either testing it locally somehow, or uploading it early to itch.io and making sure it works.  I've had interesting surprises in the past where something didn't work quite right, so now I always test it in the browser.  You don't even have to make it public on itch if you  don't want people to see it before submitting it to the jam.  you'll still be able to test it yourself.

Also, a reminder, you MUST use the Godot Engine for this jam.