Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Thank you for participating! Sticky

A topic by Yang Pulse created Jun 05, 2021 Views: 314 Replies: 14
Viewing posts 1 to 9
Host(+3)

Thank you for participating in our second GameDev.tv Jam! It has been incredible watching the community come together, form teams, and learn together. I know some teams were unable to submit for various reasons (incompatible work ethics, disagreements over game design, technical issues), but I hope everyone who participated learned something and has become a better developer because of it.

For the next two weeks, the jam will be a hub of ratings and feedback. Please remember not to take any feedback personally! A player's comments and suggestions are an expression of how they felt playing your game, and it is always worth taking their words into account in order to improve your own game design skills moving forward. Lastly, if there is any entry you are particularly impressed with, I highly encourage you to study the source and even reach out to the developer about how they created the game. We all have different backgrounds and skillsets, so who knows what we can learn from each other.

Have fun playing, rating, and learning!

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Many many thanks Yang for hosting. This has been a very rewarding and fun challenge. Certainly did NOT appreciate the deadline being halved, compared to last year haha, but that just forced me (and I'm sure everyone else) to be more productive and efficient about this, certainly sharpen my gamedev skills even more, and taught me a thing or two about finishing something on time at least, even if it's a half-decent game loop!

Submitted(+1)

thank you for hosting and putting all your work in

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Thank you for hosting! 

I really did learn a lot in the last year, and didn't even notice...

It didn't bother me, that the deadline got reduced. But couldn' t the waiting time for the next game jam also be reduced? :)

Submitted

You're always free to host your own... Besides, have you looked at Itch's game jam timetable how many there are running at the same time?

Submitted(+1)

Of course, but this community is just the best. 

And besides I know a lot here aren't pros and more or less on the same level as me. And just makes me more comfortable.

Submitted

Maybe I should not have made the "tongue-in-cheek" emoji invisible :grin:

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Allow me to offer a personal view, and the hosts can consider it as they sit fit.

I think this game jam has been great, this year and last year. For next time, I would like to see that there is an extra voting category based on the game's take on the theme. I think (nearly) all other game jams have that. It should be noted, highlighted, emphasized and reminded each time, that strict adherence to the theme is never a 'requirement' per se, this is a relaxed game jam and it's fun and should stay that way. But I personally felt limited when I wanted to reward some submissions with some extra 'voting praise' because they did such a good job interpreting the theme (in a literal or very metaphorical, and sometimes in a hilarious and very enjoyable/unpredictable way) in contrast to others whose approach was a bit 'lazier' or non-existent. Which is totally fine, their right etc. no judgements there, but like I said, I would have liked to praise those that put some effort. 

Take this suggestion as you will ;)

Submitted

Yeah I was kind of surprised to not see an option on the voting for a theme category. Usually there is one.

Submitted(+1)

I've taken to boosting the 'mood' score for games that meet the theme especially well.

Submitted

Thats a really good idea yeah

Submitted(+1)

This was my first game jam, it was amazing and fun.

Even though I had to study for driver's license theory test and my time was limited.
This jam was so much rewarding in both game dev skills and my confidence in my game dev skills.
My goal for next game jam will be to team up with others.

I can't thank you enough for hosting this.

I'll definitely join next year :)

Submitted

Cheers Yang, and the GDTV crew (and of course all the wonderful participants),

This one finally flushed me out of my non-delivery hole and got me to release a game. I'm super stoked about that fact. They say the first (million) is the hardest? :) Though of course, 'all that glitters', and all that.

The very supportive - and constructive! - feedback has been great, too. I'm sure many of us have been working day jobs and looking after their kids / family during those two weeks, so I'm amazed at the quality of what has been produced: some really good games! Well done everyone, and hope we can do this again. Also hope to see some now familiar names around the GDTV learning forums!

Submitted(+1)

Thank you for hosting this great jam.  I learned so much . Everything from the need to scale back to  how to build and publish . The feedback was great supportive and constructive. 

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

I remember looking at the screenshots  tab just under 2 weeks ago and being impressed by everything there but not yet knowing any of them.

Now I look at that screenshots tab and think back on good times, either playing the quality games created or from watching MetalStorm and Sean Gollos stream them. Absolutely loved the last four weeks, thank you all. Lots of new games on my itch page to go back and play to completion, and many more developers followed. Lots of great ideas, and such a wide range of games on the theme.

Look forward to seeing what you guys produce moving forward.