Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Anyone first jam - Talk about your feeling

A topic by littlechicken created Feb 26, 2021 Views: 402 Replies: 18
Viewing posts 1 to 11
Submitted

Well talk about first, this is my first of many things!

- My first project ever with unity ( i'm just learned coding for about 3 month, yay java)

- My first time try to make a game ( thinking about what we can do, should do, then try to executed it it's a frustration, fatigue but nice experience)

- My first time post a thing that a make by myself to public(shy and expectant)

- My first jam (push myself some goal, a community where i can see some ideal i never seen before, thing that i see i can take some to improve my next project, and most important is feedback, i know what i good at, what still bad that need to be fix)

Sorry if my english is so bad, let's talk about your experience!!!

Submitted

Hello!
This wasn't my first jam but I remember my first jam was so bad.. 
Uploaded a buggy one.. 
All in all, its was a good experience, definitely helps me improving my gamedev!
Anyway, congrats on your first jam! good luck to you in the future :) 

Submitted (1 edit)

I started my gamedev journey with coding in java, then watched a video by dani a unity developer. I felt really inspired and started learning unity I have learnt unity for about 1 year and I created a game named The Archers Exploit, I have atempted game jam before but never created a game. I am really proud of the game even if it wasn't that good, hope you feel proud of yours too.

Submitted

I learnt HTML5 and CSS, then I learnt C# and Java for developing games in Unity. I have been doing this for a couple of months by following Brackey's Tutorials (of course), when I saw the notification on YouTube about Brackey's Game Jam, I hurriedly made an account for itch.io so I could join. I waited everyday for it to start. Once it had started my school had given me lots of assignments causing me to prioritise this less. When I saw I had ten hours left, I opened Unity as fast as I could and made my game in 9 hours straight and submitted. Very cool experience though. Doing more things like this in the future.

Submitted

First time jammer here. I'm not worried I know I can't get any good placements. I did it cause I wanted to try it + it was a great challenge.
https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-5/rate/925439

Submitted

feelings... angry at everyone doing rate4rate. I understand wating rates, but witholding information until some is given is just... not cool. 

Submitted

Agreed, what I do is ask people to give me their games so I can play them/leave feedback and they can play mine if they want. Feels a lot less scummy if you know what I mean

Submitted(+1)

yeah, the thing is I generally would check out the games of people who just say that it would be nice to rate their games and not the people who actually do rate for rate!

So with me, if you don't do r4r, you actually have better chances lol

Submitted

i just made games followed by tutorials this gamejam was also my first own game and not a tutorial one! I put use to everything i learned so far from those tutorials but ofc had to limit down due to short time! It may not be good but am proud of it! Oh and i checked out ur game u did pretty awesome for ur first jam game!

Submitted

For us it was our first game released and our first game jam. It was also the first time that we worked as a team. Frankly I am rather satisfied with our game (I did not expect such a good result). It took us a long time but I think it was worth it (no major bugs!)!

Submitted

Hi, it is my second jam but I documented postmortem and lessons learned from my first one done this January (Blackthornprod 2021) here:

https://createev.itch.io/greedy-honeypot-in-rock/devlog/219130/greedy-honeypot-i...

I also done the same for this jam - here is a postmortem for my 2nd game jam: https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-5/topic/1231056/yin-and-yang-in-search-of-harmony-l...

Hope it will help you in your gamedev journey!

Andrey "Createev"

Submitted(-2)

Learn the story of this dark place https://itch.io/jam/brackeys-5/rate/927377

p.s. Majority  of technical problems are already fixed and will be published after game jam, since i cant upload fixed version until jam is done)

Submitted(+1)

bruh

this isn't a place to advertise

Submitted

Well this is my first game jam, and I got about a month of experience at the moment. Even though I didn't come here on purpose(really sorry), I have something to say. I found out about jam when I published my very first game(at that time I had about three weeks of experience) and one person wrote in the comments to this game about jam. Then I thought "why not?", I'm just a novice developer, I want to practice a lot, and this looked like a good opportunity.

The first week of development was very good. Lots of ideas, I was very interested and enthusiastic! Inn liked to share progress on Twitter and follow the development of games and ideas of other people!

But as soon as the week of voting and feedback started, I was exhausted. And, more importantly, I began to feel a little disappointed. I don't want to write too much about this, but with so many participants, there is no question of any fairness in the results, some people lie in reviews just to get a good review in response, and the final score is very subjective, and rather depends on luck. Of course, there are a lot of very wonderful people here and good games, but there is still an unpleasant feeling in general. I don't know, maybe this is more due to some problems in real life, but for a week now I feel frustrated and a little depressed. 

I will not stop participating in jams in the future, but I will try to choose some small and themed jams. 

Submitted

probably just feel bad due to "life stuff" and overthinking this one, idk, maybe

Submitted

yeah, my bad

Submitted

This is my first jam but this is not my first time writing a game...  There are much more submissions then what I expected, I made a buggy mini game and expected it not been played.... 

It is so fun to have so many games to play... without cost a buck...

Rate to rate is not really a bad thing in my opinion... Marketing is always a big part of releasing a game and rate4rate is such a cheap and reasonable way to do it in this situation....

Submitted

hello again cszcxs 

Submitted

:) Hello.