Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Tip for future jams - Export as HTML5

A topic by Franz Kafka's Office Printer created 68 days ago Views: 266 Replies: 14
Viewing posts 1 to 8
Submitted(+4)

Hey all, I've participated in several game jams and wanted to pass on an insight I've noticed from them. I noticed a lot of people asking for more ratings, and most of them need to be downloaded. 

If you want to get lots of ratings or feedback, make your game HTML5/WebGL so it can be played in the web browser. Most people are hesitant to download unknown software from a jam onto their computer, bc of the threat of malware & viruses. (think crypto miners, key loggers, & even ransomware). 

If you make it playable on web, people are much more open to playing and rating it (I get about 2-5x as much feedback when I upload an HTML5 game than when I upload a local game like from unreal 5) 

Submitted

Godot's HTML5 Export process is dead simple, and Unity's is pretty straight forward too. there are a lot of tutorials on YouTube for both. (unfortunately I haven't yet found a good solution for unreal yet, but if you find one let me know, depending on my project i've used all 3 engines for jams) 

Submitted(+1)

I wrote my game in javascript, and the interface is made with html and css.

I suppose this achieves the same effect.

Submitted

yeah I suppose my point is, more people will play if it's playable online, not strictly HTML5 technology.

Submitted (1 edit)

My plan was to do that, I've uploaded HTML5 games before but this one in particular there was so little time left when I uploaded it that I wasn't willing to risk messing it up when uploading a binary was much safer. But yeah, 100% agree with that take, I just feel dumb for not having done that myself.

Submitted

fair! Yeah time can be rough on these, I uploaded mine without sound a day early to test and double check and then added sound and updated the last day

Submitted

the problem with Ren.py web builds is that generally the game comes in with no audio and no sfx, so even though I tried posting it like that, I recoiled and decided not to. So yeah, I still have the web build in my pc though 

Submitted

that's unfortunate, I've not used it before, I hope you might find a solve before the next jam :(

Submitted

I wish I had. But I also don't even know if my game can be exported to it and run. I'll have to try it

Submitted

I haven't had any problems running any games in HTML5, i'm not sure if there would be a hindrance other than maybe save files?

Submitted

I tried running it from Godot as HTML and I would have to rewrite every single shader I have to make it work. They all use functions not available in WebGL

Submitted(+1)

Ah fair, I've not used shaders for a game jam yet, but that's fair :(

Submitted

My main issue is that it always seems like I have html5 specific bugs that hinder the game. Otherwise I planned to for the past 2 jams I've done.

Submitted(+1)

that's a bummer I've not had any so far, I do normally leave a full day for export troubleshooting and bug fixing after I missed a deadline by 10min bc of unreal export errors 

Submitted

Yea sadly HTML exports get way more traction as the barrier to entry is just way lower + the point you made about malware is definitely a big turn off as well.

Sadly Godot 4 doesn't have HTML export for C# projects yet, or I would have definitely done that too. Thankfully there are still plenty of people willing to try out the downloadable versions of games :)