Jobs
Tags

Post Questions Here! Sticky

A topic by Team Gormless created Oct 14, 2016 Views: 427 Replies: 12
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Jam HostSubmitted

And they shall be answered.

(Eventually)

Can it run in a standard ratio screen then have artificially added black bars to simulate a different ratio

Jam HostSubmitted

I think that is fine, as it makes running the game easier. As long a the effective screenspace for the game itself is a non-standard aspect ratio. If you can, try to avoid putting the UI in the 'black bars' to challenge yourself further.

that was the plan. I also wanted to have aspect ratio get worse as you play and this means I can alter it on the fly without causing graphical problem

Jam HostSubmitted

That idea sounds kick-ass. Can't wait to see that in action.

Should the game be created between 21st 1:00 AM to 24th 1:00 AM or is that just the submission window? Also, what time zone is it in? :)

Jam HostSubmitted

Ideally it should be built between those times, yep. The idea is to throw together a game in that short period of time (even if it turns out to be not very good - it's about learning!)

The times are GMT (UK)

Thanks!

Jam HostSubmitted

No problem, good luck!

Is the gameboy or other devices aspect ratio not allowed? (IE 3:2 or similar)?

Jam HostSubmitted

That is allowed, we don't want to stop you building your ideas. But we would love to encourage you to push yourself to more unconventional ratio.

So yes, go for it if that's what you want! But to design the game to incorporate the aspect ratio as part of the play would be really cool.

The rules state "Game has to be made for a non standard aspect ratio. 1:1, 1:15, 30:1 and so on is allowed while 4:3 and 16:9 and other common ones are not."
So my question is, could you please list all the ones that are not allowed? "other common ones" is a bit ambiguous. For example, NES/MegaDrive/SNES resolutions are ok? To certain crazy people (like myself XD) those resolutions could resemble "common" ones XD

Host

Well the internal framebuffers for those consoles might not be in a common aspect ratio but since they are made to be displayed on 4:3 TVs they don't qualify.

We don't really want to enumerate aspect ratios that are not allowed. Generally speaking you either make something that's square, longer than widescreen or in a tall format such as in arcade cabinets. The idea is to make something where it is clear it's not a standard resolution so making something in say 4:3.2 would defeat that purpose ;)