Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Questions / FAQ Sticky

A topic by Tea created Feb 22, 2020 Views: 764 Replies: 32
Viewing posts 1 to 17
HostSubmitted (3 edits)

Please feel free to ask any questions you have here.

1. Does this mean I have to use default font?
 Yes

2. Do I have to use the default title screens?
 Yes, unless you choose to skip using a title screen

3. Can images generated by code (via use of a plugin or script call, not a png) be used?
 Yes

4. Can I use the in-engine character generator/sound editor/animation editor ext?
 Yes

5. Which engines can be used?
  Any RPG Maker engine and the assets the engine is sold with can be used, as long as you own a license for each one you use/use assets from.

6. Can I use plugins?
 Yes, as long as the plugin doesn't use assets not packaged with an RPG Maker engine

7. Can I work on a team?
Yes

8. Can I do multiple entries?
Yes

9. Can I win more than once?
Yes, if you place 1st, 2nd or 3rd and also win People's Champ.

10. Can I use Photoshop or Gimp to edit default assets?
You can isolate, upscale/downscale default assets for use in different RPG Maker engines and or with plugins. No other editing or modification is allowed.

11 . Can I use Audacity to edit my sound effects? 
No.

12. Can I use the Doodads plugin from Yanfly and the default assets that it comes with?
Yes, we're making an exception to this one since all of the original assets are derived from default RTP and will allow for better mapping.

13.) Can we use screenshot of RTP maps made in the editor as Battle Background?
We WILL allow for rtp maps to be screen shotted and used as battle backgrounds. This is technically an exception to the rules.

(3 edits)

QUESTION:
1.) Does "No Photoshop/ Gimp/ Photo Editing software" means faces on VX Ace or other RPG Maker software aren't allowed? I think the only way they're usable is by upscaling them.

2.) You said that doodads can be used. Does that mean we can crop VX Ace tiles and place it in the doodads folder "BUT NOT" upscaling them to a 48x48 pixel size?

3.) Can we change the window size? Like, 1280x720.

4.) Are the free DLCs that came along with the RPG maker softwares "NOT ALLOWED"?

5.) Does plugin that uses RTP only means "NO MOGHUNTER PARTICLE EFFECTS AND MAGIC CIRCLES"?

6.) Are fogs and tree shadow images a NO-NO?

7.) Can we use Lighting System?

8.) Can we use screenshot of RTP maps made in the editor as Battle Background?

9.) Editing sound isn't allowed but changing midi files into other audio format is allowed?

HostSubmitted (1 edit)

Great questions! Thank you for asking :D

QUESTION: 1.) Does "No Photoshop/ Gimp/ Photo Editing software" means faces on VX Ace or other RPG Maker software aren't allowed? I think the only way they're usable is by up scaling them.

We discussed this and agree that up scaling/down scaling default assets from one Maker engine to fit in another is ok. I will add this to the FAQ

2.) You said that doodads can be used. Does that mean we can crop VX Ace tiles and place it in the doodads folder "BUT NOT" upscaling them to a 48x48 pixel size?

You can upscale :)

3.) Can we change the window size? Like, 1280x720.

Yes

4.) Are the free DLCs that came along with the RPG maker softwares "NOT ALLOWED"?

Freebee's that come with the engine (are automatically added to your files when you update/purchase the engine) are allowed, however if you bought the engine with a bundle including other DLC's, these are not allowed. Only the freebees that EVERY engine owner gets automatically are allowed.

5.) Does plugin that uses RTP only means "NO MOGHUNTER PARTICLE EFFECTS AND MAGIC CIRCLES"?

Yes, unless you replace every PNG with default PNG's.

6.) Are fogs and tree shadow images a NO-NO?

Yes

7.) Can we use Lighting System?

Yes, provided it generates the lighting with code, if it uses png files, then no, it's not allowed.

8.) Can we use screenshot of RTP maps made in the editor as Battle Background?

No (This is a great idea, but it falls under customization, since you're adding a new png file that didn't come with the engine, it's like editing default assets which goes against the spirit of the theme)

We WILL allow for rtp maps to be screen shotted and used as battle backgrounds. This is technically an exception to the rules.

9.) Editing sound isn't allowed but changing midi files into other audio format is allowed?

This goes along with up scaling/down scaling, the use of default assets from one maker engine in another maker engine is allowed, this includes converting file types such as MID to OGG.

Thank you so much for the reply and enlightenment, madam. :D

HostSubmitted

It's my pleasure, please feel free to ask any questions you may have in the future :)

HostSubmitted

Update:

We've discussed it and changed our minds about one thing

What if I'd want to use say the VxAce RTP and someone else already upscaled it for me. An example would be this VxAce icon setfrom Yanfly:

http://yanfly.moe/2015/10/23/freebies-mv-ready-ace-icons/

Would I be able to use them or do I have to do all the hard work myself? I'm specifically curious about this icon set.

HostSubmitted

That is perfectly fine.

That's a relief. Thanks for the quick reply!

(1 edit)

would I get disqualified if I were to make a character in the character generator, export the character's battler image, crop the battler to only show a single sprite, and put that image into the enemies folder?

HostSubmitted

That's also ok, I updated the rules to allow for "isolation" of default assets.

New question:
Are we allowed to move RTP around and put it in different folders? Like say I wanted a battle background for the title screen or I wanted to use some other RTP graphic to replace some custom graphics that a plugin would otherwise require? 

As long as I don't edit the graphics to fit certain dimensions in an image editor, am I allowed to put the RTP (from all rpg maker engines I own), in whichever folder I want?

HostSubmitted

Yep, you can move them anywhere in your game.

That's great to know. Opens up a lot of possibilities.

What does RTP mean? I'm sorry if it's a dumb question but I really have no idea lol

Submitted

RTP is the default assets that come with your maker, so like Actor_1 and so on, or things made with the in game character generators.

okay, thanks for answering

HostSubmitted

What we mean is the assets that come with a purchase of an RPG Maker engine. (Not including DLC's if you bought the engine in a bundle. Just the engine and the assets it comes with alone)

That includes music and sounds as well?

HostSubmitted

I don't recall any music/sound freebies, can you share the file path of what you're referring to?

I'm asking if we're only allowed to use the music and sound files within the engine? 

Submitted

Golly, you can use the ones in the dlc/baseassets folder, and anything that generates with a fresh project. The point is use content that everyone has. If you went to steam and purchased a copy of MV (or any other rpgmaker engine) by itself (unbundled), the files included with that purchase are usable. 

HostSubmitted

I concur :)

Okay, thank you.

Submitted

Just to make sure I don't get DQ'ed, can I:
1) Use Yanfly's battle sequences, as long as I don't use outside graphics?
2) Use Plugins that alter the look of menus or create new menu scenes?

HostSubmitted(+1)

Yes, you can use those, as long as no custom graphics are added to the menu's and only default graphics are used.

Excited for the game jam! Been following you guys on YouTube for a while =P 

Question: If I submitted multiple entries would they all be judged? Could they win different prices even if they are all made by the same person? Or do you for example pick the best rated one from each creator as their "participating entry".

HostSubmitted

Yes, you can submit multiple entries. It's also possible to win multiple prizes if your entries score high or are chosen by public vote.

Submitted (1 edit)

QUESTION!

Can I have non rtp on the folders but NOT USE IT on the project? The thing is, I have been working on my game for years now and it would be a real pain to depurate the folders of doodads, plug ins, pictures, etc etc. It is so simple to just copy paste the doodad folder, and since I dont think you can get those for free after the Yanfly Incident, well.....
What do you say?

EDIT: NM! Doodad folders and JSON are still available for free.

HostSubmitted

Haha, ok. Tbh, I would prefer your project be slimmed as much as possible, so we don't have to download a bunch of 1+ gig projects lol.

Submitted

Random super late question for clarification: it says "things from past RTPs can be used" but also "no fogs", so does that mean the fogs from the XP RTP are an exception to the former rule and can't be used in MV?

HostSubmitted

"No fogs "was a statement of my ignorance, fog used to be rtp, you can use those default fogs. :)

Submitted

I have a technical question, because I really don't understand my new Linux operating system. Can anyone teach me how to install playable games from the zip files? I'm using Linux Mint Cinnamon, and I have PlayOnLinux installed.

Thanks in advance!