Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Can I compile Pico-8 or Tic-80 to exe file?

A topic by alexsilent created May 25, 2021 Views: 1,132 Replies: 14
Viewing posts 1 to 5
(1 edit)

>>Apparently people are confused. Pico8, Scratch, Flash, etc.. games are not allowed. Sorry :(( 
Okay! But can I compile Pico-8 or Tic-80 game to exe file? Or it absolutely not allowed?

Jam Host

The wording on the itch page is rather confusing. You CAN use anything you want BUT you have to count in the runtime size too. You need to count everything that is needed to run the game (excluding stock OS stuff).

Host

just depends on the runtime. idk how big the runtimes are for those platforms but if it all fits under 4MB then its good.

(1 edit)

1) 4MB in 7z/Zip format?
2) Is it bad if my game size less than 3mb? (<2mb? <1 mb? <500kb?)
PS Tic-80 games in exe format have over 2.76 mb.

Jam Host

4MB uncompressed, if you use any compression, it has to be taken care of by your program ITSELF.

No, it isn't bad, the final rating takes size AND ingenuity into account, so use your space wisely.

Also consider joining the discord server, you'll likely get more help and discussion there. https://discord.gg/ge3YuJheBY

I was told by the jam moderator that Pico-8 is cool as long as the runtime is less than 4MB. Now, exactly what "runtime" means...
Is that the exported .html and .js files that make the web-playable version of the game? Is it the amount of memory used while the game is running? (Pico-8 is limited to 2MB) Is it both of these combined? ...

Jam Host (1 edit) (+1)

Everything that needs to be shipped with the game for it to run on a clean installation of windows/macOS/Ubuntu/... The rules clearly state that this limits only the disk space.

it is how large all of the files needed to run the game combined

(1 edit)

I had created a new empty project and exported it. Once I run it, my task manager (spanish) give me this:

another tests were around 30Mb.

This mean that i must focus in optimize the build once exported instead of the project, doesn't it? Is there certain Pico-8 set up that i'm missing?

Jam Host

Rule 1: 

• Submissions must not exceed 4MB of disk space.

The "memory" indicator in the task manager is showing the RAM consumption at runtime, not the size of the game.

(+1)

Hi Jakub Šebek, thanks for your time.

Mi problem is with rule 8:

• If you're using a runtime like Flash, Pico8, Scratch, etc... the runtime will count toward the size of your game.

I don't really know how to measure "runtime".

(+1)

Perhaps a clarification of that term is needed. "Runtime" does refer to the time when the program is running, but when talking about included files, it's usually short for either "runtime system" or "runtime environment". When any program is run, the executable does the basic setup for the type of executable it is, followed by loading anything that the executable lists as required to run.  Usually some of what's required is included in the OS's files, especially the "kernal", but not all of what's required.

To give Pico-8 as an example, this game I exported with version 0.2.1b a while back has a windows distributable that includes the optimized .exe file, a data file, and a mysterious version of SDL2.DLL. Since the .exe file loads the DLL file at the beginning of its runtime, it would be counted as part of the runtime environment. Thus, the game's file size is the total of all 3 files, not just the game data and the exe file.

Also, I'll go ahead and mention that the pico-8 IDE is too big (around 20 MB) but it looks like a windows distribution  is only 2.83 MB on disk, so you should be fine using pico-8 as long as you export a stand-alone distribution rather than the cart (look up export in the readme if you don't know how). More generally, if you're not sure if a file is part of the runtime, move it out of the game folder temporarily and see if the game runs without it. If not, it counts.

Thanks Colin EUMP for the down to the ground explanation. I'm not a tech guy and was a little worried about it.

Thanks for posting this, I had the exact same question as OP and most of the discord responses were from people who weren't very familiar with PICO 8. This was very helpful!

any files such as dll's or executables