Very funny video! And congrats on beating Double Trouble :D
Recent community posts
Wow, thank you very much for your feedback, it's very detailed and super useful. I'll try to elaborate on your points asking for some more feedback (if you don't mind).
I think this needs some easing up before throwing the player into too complex situations. Steadily building up confidence in the player with the mechanics.
Do you have any suggestions about how we could go to do this? As you pointed out, having such a twist (body snatching) in this kind of game may be confusing at first; we need a proper way to let the player get used to it.
You're right, we'll add some visual cue to communicate the Parasite rotation
the looping music in the tutorial was kind of aggrevating when you are learning the mechanics (i could tell exactly when it looped it's a little too short).
Agree. The current music is just a placeholder.
I would really like graphical prompts instead of text It's easier to read.
This is already fixed in the new version (we'll upload it as soon as possible).
Make the player progress in the tutorial so they feel they accomplished something.
Can you elaborate on this? What could we do in that direction?
The Dodge roll feels clunky when you play the actual game. I think it's becasue the animation of rolling plays after the dodge is done. So he kind of spins in place. and that casues dissonance
We'll check this out.
The update prompts for bosses and such could be shown at the middle of the screen.
Yeah, but what about local co-op? We put them on the side of the screen because when you're in co-op they would be quite confusing about what player they're referring to...
we just released a playable Pre-Alpha Build of our upcoming game HyperParasite:
HyperParasite is a relentless twin-stick shooter/brawler with rogue-lite mechanics set in the roaring 80s.
We are very well aware that it's a niche game (rogue-lite with retro aesthetics), and while we're getting a lot of positive feedback from the players, we're also receiving the most diverse feedbacks about its difficulty level.
It would be great if you could try out the free Pre-Alpha Build and let us know what you think about this matter. Do you think it's too difficult even for a rogue-lite?
You can get your hands on the Pre-Alpha Build here:
HyperParasite Pre-Alpha Build available for free!
We're super hyped to let you know that you can now download our Pre-Alpha here on Itch.io.:
HyperParasite Pre-Alpha Build on Itch.io
Just hit the 'Download' button on the game page to get hands on.
Of course, we'd love to hear your feedback so head on over to either the comment section or join us on Discord.
Hey guys, we finally completed the new version of the first Boss battle in HyperParasite!
The new build will be released in the next few weeks, but in the meanwhile you can try out the first playable prototype we released back in November.
We changed and refactored a lot of stuff, you can read more about the whole process in this devlog post.
Hey @pingasnpringles, thank you very much for your feedback!
How would you combine body-snatching with a cooldown?
By the way, a lot of sub-mechanics in this game are tied to the concept of Items (both Permanent and Consumable); body-snatching on command, for example, is one of them. You'll be able to do that but you must first unlock the relative item.
We totally agree with you, a tutorial is desperately needed to explain the controls and some of the game mechanics, it's definitely on our to-do list!
A few notes that may make you enjoy the game even more:
- The 3 characters you see in the selection list at the beginning of the game are just the characters you start with (it will be explained in the tutorial); in this build you can unlock 5 more characters to begin a new run with; the final version will have all those slot filled with characters to unlock!
- In order to unlock a new character for the selection list, you must kill one specimen of that particular class, grab its DNA (the glowing blue sphere they release when they die), and you have to complete the level (defeating the boss)
- Some of the characters in the selection list can unlock even more stuff (Special Characters, Items, etc.); in order to do that, you have to complete the secondary mission (the Sewers) using that specific character!
- Destructibles (barrels, crates, phone booths, etc.) may drop loot (HP points, Parasite lives, etc.)
- You can use the explosive red barrels and the vehicles as a diversive; hitting them with a melee will make them start a countdown process that will lead them to explode; you can use that to kill more enemies
- Each character class comes with its own Special Attack; you can activate that with Left Trigger button
- The small box in the upper-right of the screen is a mini-map, you can use that as a reference when you don't know where to go, or you can just use the bigger map (using left special button)
- If you use right special button, you can pause the game and have a look at some stats, read what the controls are, etc.
Thank you again for your interest and support!
- We are currently working on new features and updates, KB/Mouse support being one of them!
- Not sure about the shoot-stick = shooting thing, we got different character classes (melee, ranged, etc.) and that would favour ranged over others
- Yeah, yeah, that's because of the lack of a proper tutorial; what you were experiencing is the "body-snatching" mechanics: when the character you're controlling dies, the Parasite will snatch into the closest enemy on the screen, and you'll be able to exploit its own abilities/weapons/skills; I agree it's not perfectly clear without any notice and/or tutorial, and in this build some character classes share the same graphics; this should be addressed in future versions
- We tried and parametrized all AI values, so we could easily make them more/less aggressive/responsive; since we showcased this same build at an indie event last month, we decided to go easy on players and make it more enjoyable, but we're planning to have difficulty levels for that
Thank you for your support!
Hey Itch.io community!
It's our first post here, and we are thrilled to announce that we just uploaded the prototype for our upcoming game, HyperParasite!
Snatch, Zap and Repeat your way through a dystopian 1980's as a mysterious organism bent on world domination.
HyperParasite, a relentless rogue-lite shmup adventure is coming soon to a host near you.
Relentless top-down, shoot 'em up action! Being able to snatch the bodies of nearly every weapon-wielding homosapien you encounter ensures bullet hell almost never ceases.
Intelligent zapping! A happy trigger-finger alone won't suffice; multiple character classes, host-specific abilities and a skill-based progression system means you'll be working to one-up the human race even without bullets.
Extreme level re-playability. Procedurally generated levels, multiple game-play objectives, grueling waves of enemies and deranged bosses, all while the possibility of perma-death looms; prepare to die. A lot.
Nostalgia perpetuated by a unique 3D-pixelated art style, absurdly bright neons, obnoxious styling and robotic synthesizer sounds. It's the roaring 80's alright, with a dash of dystopia.
Co-operative game-play. Too intense? Bring a friend!
Visit our Itch.io page for more information: HyperParasite on Itch.io