Recent community posts
Weird Linux build problem: some of the time, game works great. Some of the time, everything seems fine and normal in the menus but when gameplay starts, pieces are shoved to the right immediately. I can still tap Right and Left and the screen does the little 'bump' animation, so it's registering those normally, but at most I can bump the piece left for just a moment and then it hugs the right wall the rest of the way.
Keyboard only, no gamepad / joystick of any kind plugged in.
We had A Big Discussion around possibilities for games that explore a katamari-ish idea of growth.
- Changes in scale affecting what you can interact with in the environment
- Collecting objects, ending up with a chaos of inventory
There are enough ways to go with this that we may want a couple of teams exploring this with different tools or ideas!
I want to run with this using Inform 7, and there's plenty of room for other teams to play with the ideas in Twine, ink, etc. I like the literal-katamari concept technically, and I like the idea of playing with what it means to "get" something, what counts as getting something "bigger".
I'll add another recommendation:
- Free web-based tool for choice-ish games
- Interesting interaction mechanism - you drag 'verb' words onto target words/phrases in the main text to choose an action
- lots of room for literary play in how you decide what the 'verbs' are
- visual UI for creating, no need for direct text coding
- Projects can be hosted on their site for public play, or downloaded as web code
- Solely text-based; I don't think you can add images?
- Unusual interaction mechanism may not be your thing
Sort of random thought, but I think "fridge door RPG" gets the idea across better than "fridge RPG". For, I dunno, future genre branding?
Anyway also I'm only sharing this because I LOVE this idea and I'm very wanting to write something for it now, so off I go
Running on Linux, game is crashing when I try loading the Halloween mod (either by clicking 'Restart' or by going to the mods menu and loading it there).
It's also crashed once now that I'm loading a non-halloween save game ... where should I send the crash log?
Le Grand Guignol has no limit on time taken to create the game, but it's still meant to be for games made starting now-ish, not for that game you've been working on for the last five months, or five years. If you're starting this month that's no problem.
I don't think there's been a limit in the past, and I can't think of a good reason for one now. (Keep in mind the intent is for interactive fiction only, and for games produced during the month of October.)
What the title says. The docs just say "you can add customized fields!" but nothing actually explains what format you're supposed to put things in so that, eg. you can have actual text show up in the multiple choice fields.