Very cool. I've spent many, many hours in Mandelbulb 3D. It has a sort-of-real-time view of the fractals, but it all feels a little 'ephemeral' until a full (slow) render is made. This feels so solid and physical. Lot's of fun possibilities there.
Recent community posts
Thanks Skydjinn. I probably won't be improving this specific version of Breeders, it is just too janky. I've learned a lot about Unity and coding since making this. I may work on something similar in the future, though.
Here's a loose outline of my development plans Gravity Garden. Development will be somewhat slow as I do have other responsibilities and can't devote 100% of my time to game development. Full release planned for mid to late 2018. Check the MindMap for more details about what I have planned.
My current priorities are too expand upon the basic game loop, allow the player track their progress - and give them some goals to progress towards. Save/Load system is high on the list, too.
More details about what I'm planning for the next several months.
- Build on the Game Loop and add more gameplay elements
- limited resources
- care for plants to survive and thrive
- discover/buy new plants
- rewards for exploration
- Player can PROGRESS
- Goals so player has something to work towards
- Save System
- Save each active plant
- need location, age, totalHealth
- 'fast forward' each plant to proper time, growing a new plant in the old spot will not be exactly the same plant but it will be equivalent
- need a fast forward mode for plants anyways
- in-game video accompanied by images showing buttons to usImprove UI
- Command Station and Hand Menu
- Refine current hand tools
- raycast lines
- grab indicators
- get rid of green 'grab this' lines
- replace with icon and matching icon in palm of hand
- more subtle grabcast indicators - sparkly spheres are distracting
- very dim point and line as default
- 2 stages - normal, Interactable
- less visual clutter when nothing to grab
- more info about what each tool is
- Hand Menu
- Keep basic idea, refine and improve the look
- make position dependent on hand position, like Chunky Orbits
- Command Station
- home base with game controls, info, and options
easily use each Station with preset teleport points - or maybe just point and grab to use
- large, easy to read screens and text
- Info screens set back a bit with up-close controls
- My Garden
- design the rest of the Command Station around this
- will be used often during gameplay
- Center-stage and easily accessible
- info and current stats for plants and everything player has rezzed in the world
- current Energy, Water, Nutrients shown at all times
- seed inventory shown at all times
- My Collection
- info and list of everything the player has collected, unlocked, and discovered
- No traditional 'Inventory' for game objects. Player 'Unlocks' items and can rez/de-rez them at will.
- Blueprints or recipes. Energy cost to rez, refund some when de-rez.
- My Universe
- skybox, shader effects, avatar options, Color LUT effects
- Game Options
- audio, graphics, etc
- Locomotion Options
- snap-turn, angle, strafe already in
- walk speed
- turn speed for smooth rotate
- Move with Left/Right hand
- teleport flash effect
- teleport Dash
- Simple Slot system
- multiple saves with no typing necessary
- Simple pre-set icons instead of filenames
- Sound Effects
- Don't leave these for the end of development
- Need to iterate on these, too
- home base with game controls, info, and options
Excellent - thanks for giving it a try. I like the 'playdough meets Tron' description.
Glad that you recovered from your rocket mishap. :) They'll be a better tutorial someday - kind of just dropping people into the game and letting them poke around for now.
Achievements will be a big part of the final game. This will allow me to create a game where players are free to just goof around or challenge themselves by working toward specific goals.
A few that I have in mind
- Grow X number of a certain plant
- Grow a perfectly healthy plant
- Find X number of Alien Artifacts
- Collect X amount of Energy
What sort of achievements would you like to see?
I know about these bugs:
- Player sometimes gets stuck after teleporting rapidly, especially when using both hands to teleport. Can usually be fixed by teleporting again and then pausing for a second before the next action.
- GeoMelons sometimes mutate and start growing vines that aren't connected to an plant. These def need a rewrite - they are janky. :)
- Had to turn of Single Pass Rendering feature in Unity - it's causing the game to crash when built. Hoping to get this worked out asap. It'll provide a big performance boost.
Alpha 7 - January 15th, 2018
- Full-body avatar test. Using a fantastic unity plugin called FinalIK to add a full body, animated avatar for the player to control. All of the animation is generated on the fly from the position of the player's head and hands. Very tricksy.
- New Pest - called RockNom for now, but hoping to come up with something better. ;) Eventually will spread as part of a 'thunderstorm' type event, but for now a sparkly comet might deliver some to your island. They'll eat all the nutrients in your soil and they multiply quickly. You can eliminate them with one of your garden tools.
- Tweaks to player controls and grab system.
- Alignment of scanner, delete, grab, and other lines was changed to match the new avatar hands. Eventually there will be options to adjust these angles.
- When Gravity is On your avatar is a humanoid figure that walks and mirrors your movements. With Gravity Off you are a disembodied cloud of fire and stone floating through space. :) New avatar set-up will allow for some fun character customization options.
- You can now see the active Tool or Seed in the palm of your hands.
Alpha 6 - November 8th
- Updated game engine to Unity v 2017.2
- Nifty new shaders that supply a slightly cartoonish look.
- Grab all fruits with both hands - current fruits active on GeoMelon, CosmiCorn, Bambooya, and DingleBerry
- Tele-grab. Grab things from a distance. Your hand turns green when it's ready to grab. Uses the Grip button to grab Soon an option for trigger, too.
- Tele-harvest. Harvesting 'portals' attached to your hands. Turn your ripe fruit into more Seeds, Energy, or Compost. Finally have an actual Game Loop. :) Plant, Care, Harvest.
- More tweaks to the locomotion system. Trying to make both modes feel consistent even though the Gravity On version needs to be different to make it work on uneven terrain.
- Teleport now works when gravity is off. Just point into space to TP. Set distance for now - later the player will be able to adjust the distance.
Alpha 5 - October 6th
- New player controller. Now it's all under one coherent system, all physics based.
- Teleporting is no longer a tool based action.
- Player can change locomotion modes: teleport or thrusters
- smooth turn or snap-turn
- snap-turn by specified angle or choose any angle with stick/pad
- turn strafing on/off
- Improved teleport controls and marker
- fixed velocity of thrown objects
- fixed: some held fruits pushing player around
Alpha 4 - September 6th
- Player can now harvest fruits from plants. Right-hand only for now. Grip button when your hand is near a ripe fruit.
- Fruits now give an indication when they are ripe. More colorful and brighter is ripe.
- Improved Clouds. Now physics-enabled and more efficient.
- 14 new islands to find and explore. Empty (for now)
- 4 new farm-able islands.
- Velocity is transferred when player turns gravity belt off.
- Water and fertilizer particles now inherit velocity from player
- Improved skyboxes
Alpha 3 - July 31st
- Updated to SteamVR plugin 1.2.2
- New Hands. Wanted to see what the game feels like with hands instead of controllers. Feels good. Just a few generic poses for now, but I will add more specific poses as time goes on.
- New configuration for fly/walk. Toggle between flying and walking by pressing the right stick/trackpad. Much easier now to switch between modes. No more 'pull-string' rocket tool, but I may bring that back in the future.
- Lots of new floating islands - I made a baker's dozen of new islands to populate the sky. All empty for now but eventually they will have things to discover and experience.
- Dynamic lights - similar to a day/night cycle without the annoying night time. :) Still needs work but I like this first pass. Adds some nice variation to the visuals without bringing affecting performance significantly.
- Player now rotates around their head, instead of the center of their playspace. More comfortable.
Alpha 2 - June 20th
- Updated game engine to Unity v 5.6
- GPU instancing now functioning properly along with Single Pass Stereo Rendering. Big performance boost!
- New plant - Energy Bubblers
- New skyboxes
- New control to apply modified colors and image effects
- Delete plant tool
- New cloud system
- Beginnings of Inventory system
- Harvest water from clouds, energy from stars, fertilizer from planetoids
Alpha 1 - May 14th, 2017
- Basic player movement - classic first person controls or teleport
- Bare-bones menu to choose plants and tools
- Tools for watering and fertilizing soil
- 7 different plants that grow, die, produice fruits, and respawn
- Gravity jets that allows players to fly and navigate in 3D space
- Scanning tool for testing soil conditions and identifying plants