Thanks Skydjinn. I probably won't be improving this specific version of Breeders, it is just too janky. I've learned a lot about Unity and coding since making this. I may work on something similar in the future, though.
Recent community posts
Here's a loose outline of my development plans Gravity Garden. Development will be somewhat slow as I do have other responsibilities and can't devote 100% of my time to game development. Full release planned for mid 2018. Check the MindMap for more details about what I have planned.
Planned for August/September:
- Harvesting system
- A few Pests for player to worry about
Planned for October/November
- Limited inventory of seeds and resources
- explore to discover new seeds
- Basic gameloop in place - player must thrive to survive
- plant seeds
- care for plants
- harvest fruits for resources or seeds
- Steam Early Access
Planned for December/January
- Save/Load system
Excellent - thanks for giving it a try. I like the 'playdough meets Tron' description.
Glad that you recovered from your rocket mishap. :) They'll be a better tutorial someday - kind of just dropping people into the game and letting them poke around for now.
Achievements will be a big part of the final game. This will allow me to create a game where players are free to just goof around or challenge themselves by working toward specific goals.
A few that I have in mind
- Grow X number of a certain plant
- Grow a perfectly healthy plant
- Find X number of Alien Artifacts
- Collect X amount of Energy
What sort of achievements would you like to see?
I know about these bugs:
- Player sometimes gets stuck after teleporting rapidly, especially when using both hands to teleport. Can usually be fixed by teleporting again and then pausing for a second before the next action.
- GeoMelons sometimes mutate and start growing vines that aren't connected to an plant. These def need a rewrite - they are janky. :)
- Had to turn of Single Pass Rendering feature in Unity - it's causing the game to crash when built. Hoping to get this worked out asap. It'll provide a big performance boost.
Alpha 4 - September 6th
- Player can now harvest fruits from plants. Right-hand only for now. Grip button when your hand is near a ripe fruit.
- Fruits now give an indication when they are ripe. More colorful and brighter is ripe.
- Improved Clouds. Now physics-enabled and more efficient.
- 14 new islands to find and explore. Empty (for now)
- 4 new farm-able islands.
- Velocity is transferred when player turns gravity belt off.
- Water and fertilizer particles now inherit velocity from player
- Improved skyboxes
Alpha 3 - July 31st
- Updated to SteamVR plugin 1.2.2
- New Hands. Wanted to see what the game feels like with hands instead of controllers. Feels good. Just a few generic poses for now, but I will add more specific poses as time goes on.
- New configuration for fly/walk. Toggle between flying and walking by pressing the right stick/trackpad. Much easier now to switch between modes. No more 'pull-string' rocket tool, but I may bring that back in the future.
- Lots of new floating islands - I made a baker's dozen of new islands to populate the sky. All empty for now but eventually they will have things to discover and experience.
- Dynamic lights - similar to a day/night cycle without the annoying night time. :) Still needs work but I like this first pass. Adds some nice variation to the visuals without bringing affecting performance significantly.
- Player now rotates around their head, instead of the center of their playspace. More comfortable.
Alpha 2 - June 20th
- Updated game engine to Unity v 5.6
- GPU instancing now functioning properly along with Single Pass Stereo Rendering. Big performance boost!
- New plant - Energy Bubblers
- New skyboxes
- New control to apply modified colors and image effects
- Delete plant tool
- New cloud system
- Beginnings of Inventory system
- Harvest water from clouds, energy from stars, fertilizer from planetoids
Alpha 1 - May 14th, 2017
- Basic player movement - classic first person controls or teleport
- Bare-bones menu to choose plants and tools
- Tools for watering and fertilizing soil
- 7 different plants that grow, die, produice fruits, and respawn
- Gravity jets that allows players to fly and navigate in 3D space
- Scanning tool for testing soil conditions and identifying plants