Thanks for the suggestion! We are definitely looking into that direction.
Recent community posts
Hello, thanks for your interest!
The demo does not have any other difference to the full release beside the inability to export your character.
All the features yo've mentioned are already planned for Mannequin, but we do understand that because the app has taken so long to update you've became not convinced to support the development.
Currently Mannequin is basically being rebuilt from scratch for its 0.2.0 update, so the progress is inevitably long (and already delayed multiple times because of our day job and other things), but it's close. We recommend to check out the store page at the end of this month (when 0.2.0 is very likely to have released already), try out the demo again, and then judge it by yourself.
Hello, you've done nothing wrong, as male template is currently still not available in the current version. We're working around the clock to add it as fast as possible in the forthcoming updates!
Release 0.1.7b (December 12, 2016)
No new features at this time.
- Changing outline style not recorded in action history (undo not working).
- Ear misalignments in some poses.
Yeah, looks like there are files that failed to get through server in the last update. Should've fixed by now. If you're installing through the itch app, just click 'Check for update' to let it auto-update.
Thanks for the info, and sorry for the inconvenience!
Release 0.1.7 (November 13, 2016)
- Head shape switcher.
- Fine-tuning now allows you to make little adjustments to various aspects. Available in a separate tab (on the left side of the screen) below 'Clothing', for now it allows you to adjust several face parameters (eye size, separation, nose height, etc.)
- Manual outline color.
- Manual outline thickness when using fixed-width outline.
- Save status indicators and reminders.
- (New) 3 variants of flat-collar shirt;
- (New) 2 alternative head shapes; and
- (New) 2 straight hairstyles.
- (Updated) Thick lips mouth variant has been redrawn.
- Removing clothing item not recorded in action history (undo not working).
- Sweater not covering enough shirt elements.
- Artifacts on some clothing when using fixed-width stroke.
Release 0.1.6 (October 25, 2016)
After multiple delays, release 0.1.6 is finally here. Sorry for the long wait!
- New coloring method for clothing now ensures every piece of clothing is colored consistently. Nearly every clothing has been redrawn in order to implement this feature!
- New clothing composition method now allows us to treat every piece of clothing as separate object. Tops and outerwear are now separated because of this.
- You can now open a specific file from editing screen by accessing File -> Open.
- Tweaked proportions for the female character template.
- Faster zoom operations.
- Canvas size increased from 512 x 1024 to 640 x 1280 to accommodate bigger character templates in the future.
There are so many changes in this section because we've redrawn nearly all clothing items in order to be able to use the new coloring method. So instead of listing them one by one, we'll provide a short summary.
- 14 poses in 0.1.6 vs 8 in 0.1.5 (6 new);
- 31 tops + 6 outerwear (37 total) in 0.1.6 vs 20 in 0.1.5 (17 new);
- 5 skirts/pants in 0.1.6 vs 2 in 0.1.5 (3 new);
- 1 new footwear (Slip-On Shoes);
- Sailor Uniform ribbon/tie is now separated as accessory; and
- New blank face color.
Now you can also make more specific color adjustments; for example, in a shirt you can change the color of its collar and buttons.
- Fixed a bug for very short hairstyle with three-parted bangs which makes it load hairstyle with side-parted bangs instead of the correct one.
Thanks for your suggestions! As for freckles, scars, and moles: Noted :)
For high contrast hair, I'm currently working on it. If everything works out, next time you can manually choose base, shadow and highlight color for hairs.
Disabling expression shades will be added in the next update (which hopefully will be out this weekend).Cheers!
Well, that's a lot! :)
- Fantasy and sci-fi themed stuff are already planned (you can see it on the Trello board)
- Face shapes are in progress, will be available either in the next update (0.1.6) or the one after that (0.1.7)
- Noir stuff... It hasn't crossed my mind before, but is definitely interesting. I'll add that to our plans.
- As for body types and fine-tuning on the template placements, it's something that I also really want to have, but I won't promise anything because it's gonna take a very very long time until I can start working on it.
Thank you very much for your suggestions!
I'm currently working on a new coloring method that hopefully will improve clothing colors whether when you're using light or dark color as the base. It requires a lot of redraws though, so I'm not even sure if I can release the update next weekend. But it's definitely on the way.
Thanks for your suggestion!
Release 0.1.5b (August 16, 2016)
This is a hotfix release to address several bugs considered as critical.
- Fixed a bug that causes misalignments when using folded arms pose.
- Fixed a bug where sometimes an existing accessory is overwritten when adding another accessory.
- Adjusted some hair color changing parameters to remove some faint color tint that showed when using hair color with zero saturation (grayscale/from black to white)
GAH, looks like they changed colors alongside the frames. Also, that folded arms pose is very wrong, I just checked it out and apparently they looks fine in the editor but misaligned when exporting; I should release a hotfix build for that.EDIT: The hotfix build is now live, should've fixed it.
Release 0.1.5 (August 15, 2016)
- Fixed a bug where reflections on the eyeball changed color alongside iris.
- Demo builds are now available! Every features except exporting are available in the demo. If you're interested or are running the demo build right now, please consider using the itch.io app because demo builds will be updated in the same rate as the main build.
- Fixed-width outline is now available. This is designed for high resolution exports where you might be disturbed by the thickness of variable-width outline.
- Skin, hair and iris now has a new color-changing method/algorithm. Basically it adjust the contrast so hopefully whatever hair color/skin color you chose, your character still looks good.
- Changelog for the current version will be displayed for every first time launch after updating. You can also access this information via "What's New?" button from the "About This App" menu.
- (New) Several eyeglasses has been added.
- (Updated) Iris, hair parts and several body parts have been redrawn in order to use the new color-changing method.
- 32-bit Windows builds are now removed. It's originally released for a test run using Wine, but now that we have a native build for each platform, it's finally considered as not necessary.
Our next update (0.1.6) will still focuses on polishing and fixes. After the next update, we'll shift back to prioritizing library updates.
Ah, right. It crossed my mind some time ago, but then I forgot to write it down :(
I actually wanted to implement this in the color picker section, so you can do either full manual color picking or choose from several available preset colors.
Thank you very much for sharing! The color references are very nice. Really appreciated.
Release 0.1.4 (August 7, 2016)
- Certain accessory now can detect if they are meant to be combined with your current clothing configuration or not. You can still force-add the corresponding accessory though (resulting in strange things of course). The first example of this is Uniform Ribbon accessory. In the next update, Sailor Uniform ribbon will be separated like this one.
- (New) Pose - Hand on Back (Straight and Contrapposto)
- (New) Pose - Folded Arms (Straight and Contrapposto)
- (New) Eye - Upward-slanted Eye (with all variations found in Straight Eye)
- (New) Eye - Downward-slanted Eye (with all variations found in Straight Eye)
- (New) Eye - Flat Eye (with all variations found in Straight Eye)
- (New) Hairstyle - Ponytail (Side-parted and Straight Bangs)
- (New) Hairstyle - Pigtails (Side-parted, Three-parted and Straight Bangs)
- (New) Accessory - Uniform Ribbon (for blouses)
Next update will focus on polishing and fixes, so not many new things.
Running the Mac Version
The Mac version of Mannequin is currently unsigned (because I don't have the money to pay that $99 Developer Program subscription fee), so you'll need to disable Gatekeeper in order to run Mannequin in your Mac.
I'm quite sure there's nothing wrong with the app, but I should remind you that disabling Gatekeeper increases the security risk of your Mac. Please do this with care, and remember to re-activate Gatekeeper again after running Mannequin for the first time. Or, just wait for the signed version if you have the patience (hopefully it will be available around September-October).
- Navigate to System Preferences from the Apple Menu or from the Dock.
- Click on the Security & Privacy preference pane, under the Personal header.
- In the Security & Privacy pane, click on the Lock icon on the bottom-left.
- Enter your Mac's username and password and click Unlock.
- Click the radio button next to Anywhere.
- When prompted, click Allow From Anywhere. You can now install any compatible application on your Mac without the installation being blocked.
- Run Mannequin.
- IMPORTANT: After running Mannequin, follow the above instructions until step 5, and click the radio button next to Mac App Store and identified developers. Then close the System Preferences window. This wil re-enable Gatekeeper in order to restore protection from unwanted apps running on your Mac.
Release 0.1.3 (July 25, 2016)
I should really stop overestimating my crappy drawing skills. And by crappy, I mean slow. Really slow.
- Fixed litlle misalignments of sailor uniform collars
- Fixed a bug where short pants didn't properly change color
No new features for this version.
- (New) Clothing - Long-sleeved Blouse (Untucked Short, Untucked Long, Tucked, and with Vest)
- (New) Clothing - Short-sleeved Blouse (Untucked Short, Untucked Long, Tucked, and with Vest)
- (New) Clothing - Blouse with Blazer, Sweater, or both
Release 0.1.2 (July 14, 2016)
Quite a big delay due to Eid Al-Fitr holiday. Sorry for the long wait!
- You can now use several keyboard shortcuts:
- Ctrl+S = Save
- Ctrl+Shift+S = Save As...
- Ctrl+Z = Undo
- Ctrl+Y = Redo
- App credits now can be accessed via edit view.
- (New) Clothing - Short Pants
- (New) Clothing - Oversized T-Shirt
- (New) Clothing - Long T-Shirt
- (New) Clothing - T-Shirt (Tucked) - Will fall back to Long T-Shirt when there's no item to tuck into.
- (New) Mouth - Thick Lips (in all shapes already available in Thin Lips variant)
- (Updated) ALL four poses due to some adjustment in proportion. Thinner arms, longer legs.
- The updated proportion did make the collars on sailor uniforms a bit out of place. This will be fixed in 0.1.3
I'm currently setting up a Trello board for the milestones of this app. Should be done next week (can't finish this fast because I'm going to visit my parents until the end of this week).
I'll update this thread and the store page with the link when the board is done.
As for different body types, it is something that I'm currently experimenting with. Something like child -> teenager -> adult proportion is already in my mind, but I can't promise anything since, well, it is still experimental (originally planned for releases after 1.0). Might change if the experiments turned out to be satisfying though.
Thanks for your suggestions!
I believe if you don't want to use the Itch app, you can just re-download the zip file.
If you're using the Itch app, then it should be available in your library. Install it, and the Itch app will check out and update Mannequin automatically whenever a new release is up.