This game looks gorgeous!
Anxious Neck Games
Recent community posts
Really like the art style and writing, but I can't seem to get past the part where you're supposed to press "A" to drink the bottle. The gamepad won't work and I can't figure out what key to press on the keyboard.
Nakawak: Grayscale Edition released on Steam on October 11th. Here's the link to the storefront.
NAKAWAK is a Metroidvania that pays homage to the original GameBoy, keeping as true to the retro aesthetic as possible and featuring good, oldschool challenge.
The player's success is highly dependent on his or her willingness to learn the lay of the land. The Undercity is big, but not so large that it becomes convoluted.
The Undercity is a sprawling, interconnected, semi-open-world environment teeming with (mostly) hostile lifeforms. NAKAWAK is unique. He has had an awakening of sorts. He has discovered the meaning of "I." He has found a sense of "self."
Alone in a hostile world filled with monstrous beings, NAKAWAK (a skeleton comprised of an odd assortment of bones) knows his purpose: Defeat the Three Beasts and the Seal will fail, opening the way to the surface and freedom!
Explore! Power Up! Escape!
NAKAWAK is a retro game displaced in time.
- Fully exploreable, semi-open-world environment!
- A simple in-game map that is great for course correcting without spoiling the adventure and surprises!
- A dark, minimalist storyline told through few words and memorable set pieces!
- Three to four hours of to the point, all killer, no filler gameplay experience!
- Simple, GameBoy style chiptune soundtrack!
- Nearly 20 upgrades and powerups to procure!
- A broad and wild bestiary of creatures to exterminate!
- Three huge bosses to battle, each more challenging than the last!
- Crawl through tight, winding tunnels with NAKAWAK's charming dog form!
- Turn the HUD off/on on the fly with the press of the "SELECT" button!
- Enter / Exit fullscreen mode on the fly with Alt+ENTER!
Space Child is a Metroid II inspired exploration platformer. Follow Penelope Ford, the last human in the galaxy, as she pursues the alien lifeforms who brought about Earth's destruction. Human life has been harvested. Ford's child was among those who were taken.
On the surface of a habitable asteroid planet you will:
- Challenge three unique bosses.
- Defeat over 20 different enemies.
- Procure four powerful upgrades.
- Collect over 25 health and ammo powerups.
- And featuring over four hours of gameplay!
The Asteroid-Planet is teeming with life...it also hungers for your death. Pursue the aliens! Save the mother's child! And find vengeance!
Now that Nakawak has been released on Steam I have decided to add this updated version of the game to itchio as well. It has new music, sprites, and level layouts. The progression is much more complex and organic than the previous version of the game. I hope people enjoy it!
But this is not all. I am currently very much hard at work on a colorized edition of the game. It will be released late 2018 or, more likely, late 2019 on Steam. It's a large project involving updates to every asset in the game and reworking or replacing many of the game's songs and bosses.
I will keep updating this, but I thought an announcement of my progress would be of interest.
Until next time!
-Anxious Neck Games
Nakawak is an ode to my childhood. Metroid was my first gaming love and Metroid II was, naturally, my first GameBoy love as well. But Nakawak isn't a total Metroid clone, as it has a style all its own.
Full game available now:
Deep beneath a vast metropolis, a monster has had an awakening. Unlike the other mindless creatures infesting the dark depths, he has a name. He is Nakawak. And he yearns for freedom from this place. But first he will have to destroy the three Great Beasts and break the magical Seal.
Explore! Power Up! Escape!
Over 20 enemies inhabit these dark spaces.
Do battle with three massive bosses, each more challenging than the last.
Four powerful abilities!
Heaps of powerups!
Five interconnected worlds!
Nakawak is the Metroidvania for all classic Metroid fans!!!
Full game is available now, here: