Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Thanks for this Jam! My first.

A topic by FluxPunk created Sep 03, 2021 Views: 291 Replies: 11
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted (3 edits)

Hello everyone, I've had fun dabbling with game engines and doing tutorials for fun since I was a child. I've always wanted to participate in a game jam and one focused on learning Godot seems like the perfect weekend project for me. I tried Godot years ago and it just clicked with me. I love Python, so GDScript feels nice and Blender already has me crazy for nodes. I've never completed a game, so that is my goal, no matter how simple - to just finish something.

I'm creating a simple rougelike adventure game I call Dream-eScape. The goal is to find our way out of an endless dream. As for theme, with the autumn season and Halloween just around the corner I'm feeling compelled to dive into something on the darker side,  so I plan on adding some Lovecraftian elements.  I am using an edited version of the CanariPack 8BIT TopDown art pack for this jam, which I hope to have time to customize further.  I look forward to seeing what you all create. Have fun everyone and thanks for creating this chill game jam Terry!

I've used these tutorials to help me get started today:

http://kidscancode.org/godot_recipes/2d/grid_movement/

Make your first 2D grid-based game from scratch in Godot

2D Lighting and Day&Night cycle in under 5 minutes! Godot 3.2 Tutorial

edit: fixed links

HostSubmitted(+1)

Nice! Welcome, and good luck!

Submitted

Thank you!

Submitted(+1)

My first too - like the look of your submission!

Submitted

Thank you Pete! I'll be checking out submissions today. Having a deadline definitely forced me to approach the project differently. I'm amused at how big my initial design was in comparison to what I was able to complete. I definitely plan to do more jams. I really enjoyed challenging myself.

Submitted(+1)

This is a thing that has made me totally rethink how I plan projects. Making something takes way longer than you think, and I've had projects going on for way too long, which always ends up with me giving up. So I've come up with a great way to reduce the risk of that: Set a deadline, then plan content like you had a fourth of the time. That actually works out pretty well. Good luck on future jams!

Submitted

Thank you and I know exactly what you are describing. I have many unfinished projects, but completing something this simple and figuring out how to share it through a web browser has been far more valuable than any tutorial. I'm definitely hooked on game jams now!

Submitted

Yea this is the same thing I felt, I think I joined the gmtk gamejam or something and it forces you to really finish something, its super good. 

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

oh, that gif of your submission looks really polished and good!! a job well done :)

i really enjoyed this jam too, i'm so glad it brought more people to godot, an AMAZING game engine :D

Submitted

Thank you so much! I really need to learn how to transition levels and how to make state machines. Godot is a great engine to work with. I'll be checking out everyone's submissions today.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Your game looks great =)
Also my first game that I did alone, godot feels nice.
Gonna continue developing mine till I m out of energy or ideas :D

Submitted

Thank you! I'll be checking out submissions today and look forward to seeing yours. It's inspiring to see so many new game designers taking the challenge. It was totally worth finishing something, even as incomplete as it is.