Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[DevLog] FOREST PASSAGE

A topic by Phoney created Jan 03, 2016 Views: 2,313 Replies: 39
Viewing posts 1 to 33
(2 edits) (+5)

Hi everyone!! I'm really excited to participate in this Game Jam, I've never made a game before so this kinda inspired me to try it.

I don't want to spoil to much, but you play as a child who has gone off-path and lost their way in the forest, and find a large pine tree with a small entrance at the bottom. They decide to go through and on the other side it's /still/ forest, but the thing that's different about is there's talking woodland creatures in it!

I decided to use RPG Maker 2003 to do all the stuff in, and probably make small chip-tunes with Famitracker, nothing super detailed though. But regardless I'm having a lot of fun already designing the world, NPCS, items, furniture, etc! So far I have about... 10% of it done but I've got a long ways to go but I'm hoping I can finish this project on time!!!

(here's some sprites I've been working on)

Submitted(+1)

I love these sprites! They're so cute and the palettes remind me of those early gameboy games :O

THANK YOU that's totally what I'm going for 8'')

(+1)

^^ i agree these sprites look super cute!!! i cant wait to see this finished

Submitted(+1)

i saw these sprites on tumblr and loved them. i need to be friends with the animals

(+1)
Those sprites are adorable, I can't wait to see more of this!
Jam HostSubmitted(+1)

i love these sprites!!! also, interested in seeing the rest of the story you're hiding over there 馃憖 i love this kind of stuff!

(+1)

SOON... TWO WEEKS... >:^))

(+1)

Holy heck, I know other people have said this before, but you've done a really good job of capturing the charm of early game boy era games! You did a good job at attributing detail, having enough to convey what you're showing while not overcomplicating it! It can be easy to do with this 8-bit style!

I look forward to seeing what your'e making!

Submitted(+1)

omg i absolutely love your sprites!! they're so adorable and so well articulated, every pixel feels like it's perfectly placed. i'm so excited to chat with all these forest pals * u*

(1 edit) (+1)

Day 2:

I pretty much got the Title screen, Logo, and itch.io page done! here's a little sneaky peaky!!

Tomorrow, I'm going to continue making my game assests and see how much I can get done!

HostSubmitted(+1)

I YELLED so much when i saw your sprites on tumblr i love them so much!! i love your choice of colors too aaa i'm so excited to see your screenshots!!! :3c

Submitted(+1)

THOSE SPRITES! I wanna hug 'em all.

(+3)

Day 3:

Oh boy, so I did a lot more assets today (making sure things align properly also took up a lot of time :^(( ) and tested some stuff out in-game!

(havent fixed the text yet in RPG2k3 but just wanted to see how the stuff looked so far!)

here i messed up by not making the spider stationary so now it just flies

I ALSO made some sound effects in Mixcraft today, just a couple for menu selection and stuff!! But I feel like I got a lot done 8')

(+1)

AAAAA ITS SO CUTE I LOVE IT GOODJOB

THANK U im still editing tilesets but I think i needa break for now, but everyone's nice words encourage me to keep working on this lil game :'''^)

Jam HostSubmitted(+1)

frogs... i love them.. small frogs... this is so A+...

HostSubmitted(+1)

yesssssss this is so adorable i'm so excited to see this all together on screen!!

Submitted(+1)

AHHH! I'm so excited to see them move! :D

(1 edit) (+2)

Day 4:

((wow i finished these just before 12am nice))

Did a lot more asset stuff today! As well as the system graphics, tilesets, and added a new sprite! They're a little bird kid :''^)

(this took a while to fix/align properly but I finally did it, now we have bridges!)

(and our friends have someplace to live!!)

(it's pretty barren inside, but it'll start looking homey in no time!)

tomorrow I'll probably be working on adding more character sprites! I've been looking forward to it all week :''^o

(+1)

aw man everytime i see this thread update i get super happy, i REALLY LIKE THIS GAME SO FAR!!!!!!!

THANK U IM REALLY GLAD IT IS.. my goal tbh for this is to just to make others feel good about themselves/happy SO IM HAPPY 2 HEAR IT COMES OFF AS THAT

HostSubmitted(+1)

thisss is so cute the dialogue + colors remind me a lot of wither and melon quest actually?? i love this game already soo much.

(+1)

my pixels are v inspired by MOTHER & the Animal Crossing aesthetic!! AND OMG.. I've never heard of wither, but I have heard of melon quest :^o it's very cute!!

Submitted(+1)

*tenderly kisses every single sprite and screenshot on the top of its head*

I love it all and I love sideways acrobat spider best of all. This tiny spider child is free and it will not be contained.

(2 edits)

Day 5:

Didn't get as much as I wanted done today because of errands I had to run, but I made /some/ progress!

This is Julep, He runs a Flower/Tea Shop and is semi-important!! He wears a cute lil' apron and is very kind.

(After making a wood tile the house has become a lot more homey)

( a couple things I was able to add today )

I'm sorry I didn't have much to add this time, tomorrow I'll definitely have to make it up <8'^((

((edit: whoops! almost forgot about the kitties I did!!))

I couldn't sleep have a lil' treat of some concept art of the main protag Kewpie

(+1)

aa i love the kitties i wanna hug em all

HostSubmitted(+1)

i love how unique + cohesive your sprites are omggg ;;;;

(+1)

ohh my god i love this entire style so much!! it makes me so so nostalgic for old gameboy games. all the sprites are adorable ;v;

Day 6:

LOTS OF ASSET MAKING/EDITING... trees are the worst and so are tiles but we're getting there!!

(some tables, seat cushions, books + papers. As well as bricks and rugs)

(starting to look like something now! just gotta fill up that first room)

(the frog got in the way of this screen cap, but I think they just wanted to be in the picture too)

and here's some backwards-walking cats

I'm hoping by Saturday I can have all my assets pretty much finished, I just need to make a few more interior pixels and then some items for quests. And a couple more character sprites!! Then I'm going to be moving onto the coding part of the game :''^)

Submitted(+1)

Adding to the sprite love! And I love your use of color, it makes everything feel fresh and cozy at the same time.

AW MAN thank you.. that's ALSO exactly what I'm going for B^)

HostSubmitted(+1)

man trees are SO TOUGH this is so nice tho i love your tileset so much aaugh gosh ;;;

Day 7:

I was really tired today so not a whole lot was done, but I pixeled some more stuff!

Might be till Sunday until I'm officially done pixeling, but it's chill I'm still trying to get this done even if i dont finish it in time :'o

(2 edits)

Day 8:

No update today!! decided i needed a lil' break and to work on a commission! :'^)
Submitted(+1)

Aaa I just wanted to say that I've been following this since I first saw it on tumblr and I'm super excited to see how it turns out! ;v; I too am in love with your colors and sprites ahh, and the story looks promising too!

WAH thank u.. im trying to push myself to finish

IM SAD 2 SAY BUT this probably wont get finished on time.. ive been busy a lot lately i just had my bday and i was doing a commission-- maybe I can try to complete this in my spare time and upload it but IM SORRY GUYS... :''(

UH and another reason i coudlnt really finish was because I didn't have the proper knowlege of eventing in RPGMaker2k3.. AND I NEEDED HELP BUT i couldn't figure it out... if anyone is p savvy on rpgmaker2k3 eventing/coding would it be okay if i contacted u via skype or email?? ID APPRECIATE IT.. :'''o