Tags

[Devlog] Red Snow

A topic by averageavacado created Jul 13, 2016 Views: 937 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 10
(+1)

Engine- RPGMaker VX Ace

photo banner red snow_zpssa106b54.png

Overview

Red Snow is a modern take on a Grimm fairytale called Snow White and Rose Red. It follows two sisters, Rose and Whitney, living in a cabin deep in the woods of the northeastern United States. One day, they find a sinister looking man caught in a bear trap outside their house.

Gameplay

Like most classic RPG Horror games such as The Witches House, Ib, and Mad Father, it is a dialogue-based game that involves puzzles and chase sequences. It's relatively short, considering the amount of time given and the fact I am doing everything by myself.

Assets

All art, tiles, and music will be my own.

Characters

photo just rose_zpsrs57wntu.png

photo just whitney_zpsavjezkh0.png

I'll update this log soon! Currently I am writing out a script for the entire game.

(+2)

Entry #1

I haven't made a ton of progress yet, but I have started to make the sprites and tilesets. I'll finish them tomorrow morning.

I made a sprite of Rose, as seen here

photo 926efbdb-07c4-44f2-bf55-7be91c29ab77_zpsjvjc603b.png

But turns out it was too small! I'll have to outline a base next time.

I know I'm capable of creating better art and more detailed tilesets, but I really want to be able to finish this game. So, I'm keeping it minimalistic.

photo screenshot_zpscdyszlse.png

I'm doing the sprites in sai and the tiles in paint. I'm gonna touch them up a bit tonight.

Wow, this really is tedious.

Submitted

I used VX Ace for the last jam so if you run into any issues I might be able to shoot some scripts and answers your way! A good thing to do with sprites is take a sprite sheet from the base resources in VX Ace and make your sprites over them.

Host

OHHH i love your character portraits! i'm really excited about your premise and setting so far... once you finish tilesets though mapping is generally where it gets fun and interesting. best of luck!!

(1 edit)

Entry #2

I did QUITE a lot today. I fixed Rose's sprite and made about 90% of the tiles for the interior of the sisters' cabin.

Things are starting to come together a little bit! Tomorrow I'll finish more tiles and sprites. Then, after that, I'll work on the windows, menu, and text.

I didn't spend nearly as much time making the tiles as I did fixing them and doing touchups to make sure everything fit together. This stuff aint easy.

Here's some test gifs showing what I finished today.

photo Playtest_zpsn85yawz5.gif

photo Playtest 2_zpswo2izrrp.gif

Can't wait to get working on the forest!

Host

WHOA this is a solid tileset!! it's incredible how much you've gotten done O: !!! there's so much attention to detail in your tiles and the colors are very solid! keep it up yo!

• Entry #2

Today I think it's fair to say I've finished a lot.

I completed the interior of the cabin, made a faceset of Rose, sprited Whitney, and customized the menu, windows and font. I created a night version of the cabin as well. I know, I know, I could've tinted the screen but I thought making a new tileset and new maps would look better.

I did place a lot of little events and text around the maps, and to my surprise eventing is much easier than I thought! It's the tilesets that give ya grief.

Here's some progress gifs!

photo Playtest 3_zpsaif5iut1.gif

This one loops kind of perfectly for some reason (the posters on the right are for zombie films, the ones on the right are of the sombrero galaxy and spectral lines)

photo Playtest 4_zpsxob6cohg.gif

photo menu screen_zpstdz0gqow.png

Custom menu!

photo Dummy_zpsb92vorgx.png

TO DO LIST!

• Draw Whitney's face
  • Let them go outside! (draw outdoor tileset, or at least some of it)
  • Draw fullscreen events
  • Draw sprites for the dwarf
  • Mabye sprite bear? Probably not. I'm gonna find a way around that.
Wish me luck! Working on this game is time consuming, but I like it.

Entry #3

Aaaaah!! Theres only three days left of the game jam!!

Needless to say, I pretty much got everything down. I'm out training for xc right now so I haven had much time at all. I'm gettin' my head in the game.

I have finished all the outside tiles, Whitney's face, the dwarf's sprite, and all the music.

As usual, here are the gifs of my progress:

photo Playtest 5_zpsbeazoddc.gif

photo Playtest 6_zpsbwzspgxq.gif

And here's the dwarf.

photo dwarf sprite_zpsqmkj7ccc.png

If you want to check out the music, here's the links:

https://soundcloud.com/sneezingkitten/red-snow

https://soundcloud.com/sneezingkitten/title-theme

One is for the title, the other will probably be fore the credits. I recorded my guitar on Garageband at 1 am so bear with me.

TO DO:

-Event the whole game

-draw/map one more area

-draw fullscreen events and title screen

Just four more things. Reached the home stretch!

Host (1 edit)

WHOA these face sets and maps are looking really nice!! i love seeing how this is coming along! keep it up!!

also--i featured this dev log today!

(+1)

Entry #4

I lost everything.

I forgot to back up my game in Google Drive, and somehow the file got corrupted. All that remains is one song.

I will not be submitting anything to the jam this summer. I am deeply upset by this.

HOWEVER!

I will be redoing/finishing the game at a later date. I put so much hard work into everything that it would be a shame if I didn't follow through. In time, I will post the finished game on my profile, tumblr, and possibly on GameJolt. I'm sorry I let you down, guys. But I can safely say I did get all the experience I wanted and now I actually have a really good handle on the software and I know the ins and outs. Thank you so much for keeping up with me! And stay tuned for the games later release.

Host

aww that is upsetting! next jam we'll be sure to stress backups and backup backups. it's frustrating but it definitely happens ): !! a lot of the times though the second time through is faster + more informed and you're equipped with the experience of the process. i'd love to see how this turns out in the future! great work!