SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Favorite megadungeons

A topic by RonarsCorruption created Mar 15, 2021 Views: 706 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 7
(1 edit)

First post!

Okay, obligatory internet memeing out of the way, I want to know what everyone's currently existing megadungeons are? I've worked on a few myself, and they're as challenging as they are interesting. 

My personal favorite is the Caverns of Od Nua, from Pillars of Eternity. The biggest reason is that there was a tight cohesive theme to it. Winding around a colossal, buried statue in search of the spirit of a long dead king.

My other favorite megadungeon is Incandium's Erruption, although as the author of that "mega"dungeon, I'm a bit biased ;)

Let's hear yours, so we can all get inspired by the best of the best.

Dyson’s Delve is not exactly a megadungeon, but it’s big enough to be a tentpole for a while. Maybe it’s a kilodungeon? I believe he has updated maps somewhere as well.

Similarly, the Near Moon in Ultraviolet Grasslands is intended as a “generative spherical megadungeon” and I really really like it.

(+1)

He also did The Dyson Megadelve. I haven't tried it (or even read it thoroughly), so can't comment on its quality...

I've always liked the layout of Stonehell by Michael Curtis. It lays everything out in a useful, GM-friendly format. It's the style I intend use when I make my megadungeon.

Eyes of the Stone Thief qualifies as a different kind of megadungeon, but megadungeon nonetheless. The dungeon is a living entity that eats places and buildings. Some of the things digested become part of the living dungeon making it larger and deadlier. The players are expected to spend a lot of time both inside and outside. When inside, it's about delving another level deeper and when outside it's about going on adventures and learning to hate the living megadungeon which stalks them.

I made a 1-page megadungeon in 2017 that was 5-dimensional and weird enough that the players eventually became more afraid of the rooms that appeared empty than the ones filled with flames or completely full of corpses or horrifying monsters.

I also co-made a dungeon that was a full-sized ruined dwarven metropolis complete with a magical subway system run by a goblin cult, a section overrun by magma elementals, and sewers filled with symbiotic mycelium that produced the city's food in exchange for waste and bodies.

(+1)

Arden Vul could be a little easier to read in terms of information, but the locale and flavor is off the charts. It’s incredible.

At over a thousand pages, that's an incredible-sounding dungeon!

the copy is verbose and the maps are all in the back, but those are my only quibbles as the content is absolutely fantastic.

I was going to talk up Arden Vul (although I'm biased, as the author was in my very first AD&D group back in the day and was also my first friend when I moved to a new town in 4th grade). Glad someone else called it out. It's pretty incredible. 10+ years of work - I remember him pinging me back in 2010 or so about a dungeon he was creating.

If I create anything for this jam, it won't be anything near that scope...

Peach Trees tower block from Dredd?