Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Display Health for a Futuristic Shooter?

A topic by as games created Apr 05, 2016 Views: 774 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 4
Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

Hi, currently this is how I'm displaying my health in my game:

As you can see it doesn't really look like the type of thing you'd see in a futuristic FPS, I was wondering if anyone had any cool ideas on how to display health in a futuristic way? :)

Thanks, Anthony.

Submitted

Dunno how possible it is to do at 64x64, but Dead Space had a really cool HUD - basically your health bar and a couple other things were shown on the back of the player character, as part of their design. Could maybe be cool to have this kinda info on that big-ass gun?

Just an idea ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Submitted

Oh yeah that's cool! I might try and do this, thanks :)

Submitted

Maybe you can add Call of Duty style of bloody screen effect instead of a health bar?
It would get worse with damage and go away smoothly when you don't get any damage for a while.

Submitted

Yeah I was thinking something like this, but not sure if it'd fill the screen too much (because of 64px limit)

Submitted (1 edit)

I would do it with alpha so on the edges it would be opaque and getting transparent to the center. And of course some kind of blood texture, not just a simple gradient.

Submitted

Yeah I do like the idea, I think it looks quite natural on CoD4 and stuff, you don't have to check your health but you always know how much health you have.

Submitted(+1)

I would add some kind of meter kind of like what they used in Halo!

Submitted

Yeah, Halo's UI is quite nice. I might have a little experiment with something similar.

That's exactly what I was gonna say as well..minus the Halo part. Maybe just a small (two pixels, one border, one the actual bar) horizontal bar on the bottom? It could shrink towards the middle as you lose health.