Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Previous Linux Game Jam submissions

A topic by Cheeseness created Apr 25, 2023 Views: 337 Replies: 11
Viewing posts 1 to 7
Host

Did you participate in one of the previous Linux Game Jams (2017, 2018, 2019, or 2022)? Share a link!

Tell us what you made and what you learned along the way :)

Submitted(+1)

I participated in the 2022 Jam with Gliding Bird, and one thing it taught me was to make sure the game is fun. Mine was not, which is something I want to fix for this year’s entry.

Host

Plenty of room for improvement, but you had at least a couple of players who found some fun in it :)

(+1)

Participated in 2022 Linux Game Jam with Cat Street, it was my first game & jam and haven't been updated for a year.

What I've learnt by joining this jam:

1. Better to prototype a 3D game in Godot using CSG nodes + grid textures

2. Multi-player games are way more fun

3. A little knowlege about V-Sync, taught by the mentors of this jam

4. No matter how crappy your game is,  make and submit it, you 2nd game will be always better than that :)

Host

It was definitely an impressive first project! Looking forward to seeing what you make this year :)

Submitted(+1)

Thanks for keeping this jam going, your cheeseness.

Last year I submitted a heap of junk - https://jmccardle.itch.io/empty-simulator - an incomplete RTS implementation. I’m not sure what I’m going to make this year yet, but that code is going to live on in this new project. I worked out my executable distribution issues for 7-day roguelike earlier this year.

Host(+1)

I remember this one. Even if you weren't able to bring it together into something "complete" in the end, your dev logs were a highlight of last year's jam for me.

(2 edits)

I joined in 2022 together with ERmilburn02 on Levis Robo. She did the coding, I did the art. It taught me to remember to not leave it to the last 2 days so we can actually get more done rather than just a prototype demonstration stage lol

Host(+1)

Ha ha, that's probably a good idea. That said, it's also valid to treat it as a two day jam and approach things from that perspective.

The last jam I participated in was a 5 day jam, and I only decided on the third day that I was going to make something. By adjusting my scope to match what I could do in 3 days, I was still able to make something (like most jam games, it had plenty of rough edges but was definitely more than I'd have gotten done if I was still trying to make a 5 day game!)

(+1)

It's great to see this jam running again! I took part in the 2022 jam with The Guest. This year, I'm hoping to create a different type of game, but still want to base it around the godot-xterm (terminal emulator) and gdtemu (virtual machine) plugins. I plan to use this jam as a catalyst to finish porting these plugins to Godot 4. However, I'll probably need to limit the scope of the game, as finishing the porting of these plugins will likely consume the majority of my time.

Host

Oh man, I loved The Guest. Good luck with the porting efforts!

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

I participated in the 2018 and 2022 jams.

In 2018, I initially wanted to make a 3-D game in which you explore a strange, dream-like world, but because of Godot 2.x's immense issues with loading models I gave up on that idea and made MousePong on the last day of the jam just to submit something.

Then, in 2022 I made Tux's Revenge, a game in the form of an IWAD for the ZDoom engine; definitely a huge improvement over MousePong, though it's not something I'm particularly proud of due to its numerous shortcomings.

This year I'm writing a game in C using SDL2 called Devious Licks, inspired by the 2021 TikTok challenge & media panic of the same name in which kids would steal (or at least pretend to have stolen) school property.