Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Questions Thread Sticky

A topic by Ashlyn, Goth cat hugger created Oct 21, 2018 Views: 1,098 Replies: 31
Viewing posts 1 to 10
Jam HostSubmitted(+1)

Feel free to ask questions here or on the twitter #Lightnovelber2018 

(1 edit) (+1)

Are choose your own adventures a valid form of light novel? Also for some reason I am blocked on your twitter?

Jam HostSubmitted(+3)

Sure the style is light novel, if you think you can grasp it in a choose your own adventure story then that is a great idea.

(not sure why you are blocked, probably caught up in a chain block, unblocked)

(+1)

Thank you for answering my question. 

Also thanks for unblocking me, followed.

(+2)

A light novel choose-your-own-adventure sounds incredibly fun. Great idea <3

(+1)

I have been working on a twine story for the Yuri Game Jam. I'll publish it in a few days even though it won't be finished by the end of the Jam. Is it possible to also add it to this Jam since it quite fits the theme while I keep working on it?

Jam HostSubmitted(+2)

Ok  Zandra and I agree on allowing it. Main purpose of the jam is to see people creating stuff so we arent too fussed if people want to use it as an reason to pick or work on unfinished projects from previous jams!~

Can't wait to see it!

Submitted(+3)

I usually make nsfw queer romance stuff, is 18+ material allowed in this jam?

Jam HostSubmitted(+2)

We think that is fine as long as you tag and Content note/warning it appropriately.

Submitted(+3)

Of course! Thank you 馃槉

(+2)

About the submission or how I go about making a light novel and uploading it here. I鈥檓 new to ichio but it seems like a upload a game thing, would I be able to just upload a word doc?

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Absolutely! When you use the "create a new project" page, at the classification question you would simply have to select "book". When it comes to uploading files, itchio already accepts .txt, .pdf, .epub and I'm sure many other types of files as well. You shouldn't encounter any particular problem, but don't hesitate to ask a few more questions if you encounter problems with the upload page's interface.
Then, to submit your project as part of the jam, once it is uploaded go back to the jam's main page, click on the "submit your project" button and select it in the list.

If I've been unclear let me know!

(+1)

no this was helpful, thanks ^^

Jam HostSubmitted(+2)

Yup you can upload all sorts of files but preferred text format is pdf  for this which you can  select as a  "save as"/"download as"/"export as" option in most text formatting software.

epub is also encouraged for Ereaders but that is more tricky to pull off  and not required.

but if you are interested the easiest way I know of to do it is to load the word/wordx file into Caliber ( https://calibre-ebook.com/) and converting it to epub before checking it.  Caliber also is great for converting word/wordX to pdf and also  allows you to set a full page a4  cover art page without margins if you have one made up in jpeg/png/tiff.

Submitted(+3)

Are dragons okay to write about?

I really like dragons.

Jam HostSubmitted(+2)

moar dragons!

Submitted(+1)

Dammit, where's the headpat emote on itchio?

(+3)

Oke umm.. if my story is a sorta like,, fantasy with fantastical world, but short and all, it's okay, right? And also, is there a cap on writing length? aaa!!

(+1)

Light novels are typically 8000-20000 words, but I haven't seen any mention of a word cap in this jam.

(+1)

Ye, am wondering bout that, but aa

Jam HostSubmitted(+1)

yup short stories are fine, typically light novels average around 8-11k words but personally I over find myself varying around 3-10k myself.

Mainly this jam is about the flavor of a light novel, lgbt+ stuff and transformative experiences but we don't really have any conditions on structure length or medium. Try to capture the flavor and not worry about the rest, remember it is about starting something creative , learning and hopefully catching the bug.

(+1)

AA ty!!

(+2)

Hey um, another question actually,, is it alright if the story itself isnt heavy on lgbtqa+ themes, and/or doesnt contain any transformation stuff? I just started the story, and while I'm enjoying how it's going, I dont know how much of the themes it would contain, and so Im a bit worried >~< sorry,,

(+1)

The theme seems to be mostly a suggestion, the main goal seems to be just to get folks writing and having fun!

(+2)

Heyo!
I was thinking of making a game that could have light novel elements but also some other gameplay elements. For example, if a in-game day were divided into 2 sections, a light novel-esque section and then an RPG-esque section following that. Would that kind of experience be okay to submit?

(+2)

Im pretty sure that would be okay, yeah! I think

Submitted(+1)

The definition of the kind of entries that are accepted is not fully specified. The types of entries listed in the Entry Format suggests that literally any form of creative work is generally accepted as long as it relates to literature on some level and is not a full scale novel. However, the name of the jam and the random references to light novels suggests this is supposed to be about creating light novels.

This is very confusing as light novels are a very specific literature format, but half of the jam description acts like this is not about light novels while the other half does.

And so which actually is it? As this is the entire basis of the jam.

Jam HostSubmitted(+4)

This has previously been answered elsewhere in this thread, there are jam revolves around two things Light Novels and "transformative experiences". This Jam comes from the community around  Alex Zandra Van Chestein and her narrative light novel universes both nicknamed the Zandraverse, this is a very lgbt+ and light novel loving community

What does this mean? : Firstly the entry needs to pay homage to Light Novels and essentially their flavor,  the silly titles that act as a synopsis, the types of narratives that are arch-typical of the style etc.  E.g. "My Friend Took Me To A Feline Therapy Place For My Anxiety And I鈥檓 Starting To Wonder Where The Cats Are?"
If your entry is literary this is pretty easy it is really just a matter of length, if it is using a game structure it could be a light novel flavored visual novel, a light novel themed choose your adventure story game or just a game that has a light novel style title and story arc. If it is a comic, it likely will be a comic playing at being a light novel possibly similar to how a manga one-shot can be made of an existing light novel.  If art there are two ways to go about doing this, designing a fake light novel cover with fake title and cover art, or perhaps an artbook/art collection that would be the illustrations that would often accompany a light novel. 

The other jam theme is "transformative experiences", this can be physical, emotional, spiritual or a change in mindset: possible examples including transgender themes, discovering sexuality, perhaps being changed into a monster, a princess or a fridge or a character going a  set of circumstances that transforms how they think or feel about something major. It could even include a mixture of these.

The only real restrictions around this Jam is keeping to the spirit of those two requirements, having fun, giving things a go and being kind to others.

(1 edit) (+1)

i only got like halfway done, mostly forgot about it (or rather, remembered but didn't actually work on it thanks executive dysfunction)

is there a way to psot what i've got and then finish later or should i just publish at a later date and just mention what it was originally for?

Jam HostSubmitted(+2)

I'm not sure if you will be able to submit it to the jam since it has closed but you are more than welcome to say you did it for the jam, since the jam was about starting things.

ok thank i'll do that

i noticed submissions weren't up anymore but that's perfectly fine tbh. i have quite a bit done i just don't know how doing stuff apparently

Submitted(+1)

That's quite alright! Any amount of work is already an achievement. Congrats on writing!!