Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Remnants of Calandria (WIP)

A topic by TerminusEst13 created Jul 13, 2022 Views: 649 Replies: 19
Viewing posts 1 to 11
Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

I don't know if we're allowed to make game promo topics here. I hope we are.
I also don't know if I'm going to be able to finish this in time for the deadline. I learned about this a few days ago. We're already almost two weeks in.

Oh well. I'm going to dev anyway.

ABOUT:

Remnants of Calandria is a short top-down action-exploration game with a real-time battle system, about prowling through the remains of a destroyed land and the small civilization that's managed to recover from it.

You play as Hiro, a mute guard-in-training for the town. Hiro doesn't socialize well, and in turn most people don't have a high opinion of Hiro, preferring to more colorful addresses like "creep", "weirdo", "kid", and more. However, one friend has stood alongside for many years--Saki. Saki is the opposite of Hiro, outgoing and talkative, curious and investigative, and both of them have grown up alongside each other.

Saki wants to go out to investigate the world that's forbidden to both of them.

Will you accompany her?

SCREENSHOT(s):

I hope to be able to dev alongside y'all.

Submitted

I love the artstyle you picked, nice retro gameboy vibes. 

Submitted

Thank you very much. I could say I have a lot of nostalgia for Gameboy titles, but the truth is I'm not a good artist and I wanted to push my boundaries to try and draw everything by hand. Gameboy seemed the most feasible style for me to work with, hitting the middle ground between "challenging my limitations" and "simple enough to be able to make a full game out of".

Submitted(+1)

I have a lot of nostalgia for places like these.

It's an interesting feeling to be making one.

Submitted

There is plenty of time to get your game completed.  I also noticed this game jam late.  In the past, I have made two IGMC submissions in the time that is left, so you can definitely get this one done.  I have faith in you and your team to complete a viable submission.

Submitted

Thank you! Unfortunately I am working on this entirely by myself. But I guess that just means there's precedent for people starting late and still coming in with something, yeah?

Submitted

I understand.  I am working by myself too.  This morning, I am starting from scratch.  I changed what kind of game the first submission is going to be, and it will have custom images.  There is less than two weeks left.  That is why it is important for game devs to motivate each other.  This game jam can be successfully won by a soloist.  The game does not need a big team for it to be loved by many.

Submitted

Heyy! Starting-late buddies! :D I also only started two days ago - and what with working two jobs and having two (very) demanding parrots, I only get 2-3 hours of 'dev' time a day.  :') But it'll be fun to give it a go anyway, for sure!!

I really must second everyone else on the art-style - it's great! Love the nostalgic feel. 

Good luck, and I'll definitely be giving yours a play down the line. :D

Submitted

Thank you very much. I'll happily go through yours as well.

Submitted(+1)

Two weeks left to go. Still a lot left to do.

Thank you all for cheering me on. I still don't know if I'm going to make it, but hearing that people like this makes me want to keep going.
I'm going to keep charging ahead, and we'll see how far I can go.

Submitted

Managed to get item pickups finalized. Also managed to get hazard tiles working, along with objects interacting with attacks. Outside of a few persistent wonks I don't know how to fix, the combat system is effectively done--now I need to make a couple levels, do writing, draw cutscene graphics, and gather music. All in less than two weeks. Ahahaha...

Action battle systems in RPG Maker tend to be rough, the engine clearly wasn't designed to handle it. But I'm quite fond of how this came out, and I think it feels extremely fun to play.
I hope I can refine it down the line. I think there's potential here.

It looks really interesting so far! I'm looking forward to playing the final product

Submitted

I appear to have come down with the plague.
This'll cost me a few days. I'll probably have to work overtime on the rest.

Apologies in advance if the latter half of the game seems rushed.

Submitted

Are you going to add a tint system for the players to choose what tint they want? If you need, I can show you how to set up such a system.

Submitted

I hadn't thought of that. A system like that would be very interesting. If you have something on-hand, I'd be very curious about it.

Submitted (3 edits)

So there are a few ways to do this, but which method is best depends on what is in your game.

As an example of a way of doing it without plugins (plugins can make it nicer):

If your game ever uses the tint change options, then it is more complicated, but you can add an item/skill/menu item that sets a flag on top of changing the tint. For each tint, you'd have an option (if you have plugins for it, you can have more flexibility) and selecting that option would set up a different flag (such as a variable). 

The reason for setting a flag is so that when you do any tinting in the game, it will override the tint. Having a flag will allow the tint to be reset back.

You then put the tint changing as a common event to be called whenever the tint should be returned to normal (so instead of always returning it to 0,0,0,0; it can return it to a value based on the tint flag).

As a bonus with this, you can do things like having the tint change temporarily (You can even make that temporary tint be based on the selected tint) and have it change back later or even have puzzles and other elements change based on the selected tint. (For example, you could have it where water evaporates with a red tint; a blue tint washes away fire, yellow lets you sneak past enemies, green could switch to 'retro' mode with changed mechanics, etc.)

The reason I mentioned it is that your setup seems like it would work well. (Note: Screen tint and image tint are different things).

Submitted

Oh, this seems very interesting. This is slightly different from the setup that I'm using, and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to have time to implement it in-game, but thank you very much for telling me about this!

If I come back to this project after the gamejam is over, then I'll see if I can wriggle it in.

Submitted (1 edit)

Considering that it doesn't look like your game calls the battle function (as tint does affect the battle function. I actually had a game where one of the battle mechanics was related to your tint), it actually shouldn't take too much work to implement the basic portion of it. 

If you don't use tint in your game, some relatively easy ways to implement (just the tint portion, not any related mechanics) is have some events in your starting area that allow you to change the tint, add an item to your inventory that lets you change the tint, or a skill that lets you change the tint.

It is definitely true though that you might not have time to implement it depending on how your system is set up.

Submitted

https://terminusest13.itch.io/remnants-of-calandria

I made my game with 5 minutes left to spare.
There's several things that were still untested, and so I hope nothing breaks.

I'm going to lie down now.

Submitted (4 edits)

Ah... Of course there's a glitch that prevents progression.
Well, that's not entirely true. It's still possible to progress. It just requires mashing in an area that's not immediately indicative of requiring mashing.

I suspect the game will end up getting hit because of it, which is a bit of a shame. But I managed to identify and fix the bug and things run nicely, now. Until the voting process is over, I can't update the main build. So I apologize sincerely for the inconvenience.

For those who are interested, without going into spoilers, I'll say:
After unlocking a door, you'll enter an area where it seems like you should be able to interact with a Large Thing up a small set of stairs. Please mash Use on it.