Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Personal Thoughts on all the Gamejam Entries

A topic by Berry B created Aug 11, 2020 Views: 224 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 5
(+1)

Here are my extensive thoughts on all your gamejam entries and the score I would provide based on my experience. This is not the judges' scoring nor will it affect who wins or not. This is an outsider who plays your games and gives near full thoughts on the subject. And my thoughts aren't perfect. You are free to disagree with anything I say. Just don't be offensive.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bWzF4FWblIUVnuxPwe7x6XVZDCnYEzzUss1PDDj8PJM/edit?usp=sharing

Submitted(+1)

Thanks for taking the time to put this together BerryItch, I appreciate the feedback! I especially am grateful you played through to Ending A even though you didn't enjoy it haha. Re: the writing, oops. Harold basically has 4th wall awareness, and I could've done a better job fleshing that out.

HostSubmitted(+1)

Berry gives amazing feedback, and offers such insight. I recommend anyone read the reviews of other games as well as a good learning experience.

Also give Berry some well earned XP in the server!

Submitted

First and foremost, huge respect to you for spending what I can only imagine was a tremendous amount of time playing and thoroughly reviewing all of our entries. Thank you!

Secondly, despite the fact that you were unable to find any redeeming qualities to highlight in a project I dedicated every waking moment of a week of my life to, I must say that your feedback on the many failings you perceived is duly noted and much appreciated, and certain to help me achieve higher quality in future projects. Thank you!

Finally, in case you missed it, there's a significant advantage in the jail if you check the crack :) Or, maybe you found this, I just note it because you indicated the fight was with 'no items', which it generally is, and certainly could literally be if that was overlooked (though it's entirely possible to achieve victory without it, just higher difficulty).

(+1)

Redeeming qualities that I find in your game were mostly superficial like the effort to change the facesets and the movement of the slimes. The concept of the slime lord boss is an interesting one, so I give props where due. 

Also, I guess I didn't check the cracks for that advantage considering what I said. The mapping didn't encourage much exploration and the movement speed isn't helping me much for that.

Honestly, I do apologize that you think I would virtually see no redeeming qualities whatsoever considering that you worked insanely hard for this. But my thoughts for the most part were honest. I guess I played so many games that maybe some of the good qualities I often missed in the tracks while playing yours. Considering I played yours near the end and I've played so many games with a lot of expectations shifting here and there.

Regardless, I'm humbled by your response. Thank you.

Submitted

Your honesty and heartfelt reply are much appreciated.

And, I'm impressed that you achieved victory without the advantage, a feat requiring patience and skillful execution. 

I'm really looking forward to incorporating all of the feedback I've gotten into a new release once the Jam voting expires :)

Submitted

Thank you so much Berry! I really thought your feedback was  valuable and constructive. Kudos for taking the time and effort to review all of the submissions. Great job!