SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Plans for post-jam voting improvement?

A topic by pfail created Oct 29, 2018 Views: 402 Replies: 4
Viewing posts 1 to 3
Submitted(+3)

Hey everyone!

Super excited for the next Game Off game jam. Last year was such a good experience. Everyone's enthusiasm and the support of the GitHub team really make this something special.

I do remember having one issue last year, though, and that was with the voting system. Here's something I wrote about the bad voting turnout last year.

Reading over the voting results today, I saw that the average number of ratings each game received was 11.2, with a median of 10. How is it at all possible that with 200+ entries, some entries couldn't even get a tenth of those people to rate their game? ... What baffles me is that some games would get as high as 35 ratings, while most wouldn't ever reach 20, and some of the highest ranking games (including some of the most well-crafted entries I saw) have 10 or 11. To me, if you entered a game jam and didn't take time to at least try to rate the other games, you should be disqualified.

I guess I'm wondering if there are any plans to work on the voting system? Or introduce some kind of accountability or rule to this game jam? It can be pretty upsetting to spend a month on a game for less than 10 out of hundreds of fellow participants to vote on your work. That also seems to seriously skew the results of the voting. Maybe I'm the only one bothered by this, but I'd love the issue to be taken into consideration. 

Thanks for reading, and good luck, everyone!

Submitted(+2)

What I noticed is that games that are not HTML5-available tends to be played less (because it's harder to download, extract, install? and start the game).
I found this issue to be a bit frustrating but nothing we can do except encouraging people to vote on games that doesn't have a lot of votes (itch.io provides a list).

Submitted

The comment below seems reasonable to me. Can votes not be tracked?

(+5)

In other jams you must rate a minimum number of entries if you want to be rated.  For example, on TINS and SpeedHack they send you one or two entries you must to rate and you must rate a few more.  If you don't rate that minimum (they're very small contests so maximum were about 4 or 5) the votes you receive doesn't count.

For example, a requirement might be to rate 10 games or so.  It think this is fair and will encourage people to rate.

Submitted

Yes, these are great examples. This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to see.