Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

One game a week - Does anyone have any advice ?

A topic by SnowHorse Entertainment created Sep 12, 2019 Views: 166 Replies: 5
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted

This is the first time I participated in a game jam, my very first "finished" game,  and it was a very good learning experience... I am considering the one game a week challenge, for at least 6 months. Do you have any advice for a new developer? I do work full time, and study at the university, so my idea is to work two or three hours at night, but I have no idea if that is enough... For my current game I crunched myself 5 to 6 hours until quite late at night... I hope not to need to do that very often. I will participate in the weekly game jams at itch so I maintain myself motivated and that may give me a headstart with ideas.

Submitted

I'd say it would be good to have a clear aim while making the game and focus on it. All the best馃槃

Submitted (1 edit)

Write ideas down, then tackle each one of em. but if you plan on making a game within a week, don't start off with a big idea. come up with small, if not, tiny games. then come up with slightly bigger games if you know you can deal with it.

Submitted

Thanks for the advice! I will take care of my scope and aim

Submitted

Work + university + perpetual game jam is far too much.

Making a game every week is a lot of practice in programming but you really risk burning yourself out and not having the energies to keep doing the other activities - having a full time job and studying at the same time is already a challenge. Maybe participating just occasionally to a jam is better.

Submitted

Oh I see... I'll think in that possibility also... Maybe with patience in a year and a half when I finish my studies it may be possible... Thanks for your advice :)