Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Graphics are hard!

A topic by Garry Francis created Sep 09, 2019 Views: 251 Replies: 10
Viewing posts 1 to 6
Submitted

I have a new found admiration for pixel artists. I had no idea how hard it was. I think it's because I'm using the wrong tools. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good pixel art tool for Windows 7? It must be object-oriented (like a vector art tool) so that you can draw the elements non-destructively as separate objects or in layers, move the elements around, scale them, fill them and recolour them without having to redraw every pixel.

Here's my two pennies. In my opinion, vector art tools do not lend themselves to pixel art production. I've got Grafx2 (It's like stepping back in time!), Aseprite and a really old copy of Photoshop. When pixels rule, vectors struggle. Each one of these programs has its strengths and weaknesses, but I think you need to devote some time to finding a pixel art program that you feel comfortable with. Or hire somebody!

Host

I'm actually experimenting with a pixel art +(PETSCII-like)  tile based graphics editor for Adventuron (with layers). For sure the vector style is limited, but it's a really fast and byte efficient way to build a scene. Think of all the iconic "The Hobbit" graphics that were entirely constructed with vectors.

For those of us who grew up with 8-bit text adventures on machines like the Spectrum or Commodore, vector art is a key part of the medium. The slow line & fill systems, a necessity because of the lack of memory on tape-based machines, produced some very rudimentary, but very memorable images.

I could never do anything decent with those systems. Mind you, I also could never do anything decent with pixels! :) 

Host

Pixel art is extremely difficult. I'm no good, and I just dialled it in for Escape From Dinosaur Island DX (the loading screen isn't mine), using multipaint (which doesn't have the features you are looking for).

The following website might be a good place to start. It seems to have layers. Not sure if re-colouring is easy or hard (never used this). Others can certainly help you better. I think 

https://www.pixilart.com/draw

If you want to spend money, I hear that aesprite is quite nice. There is a trial version, if you are not sure (can't save from the trial version.

https://www.aseprite.org/

Pixilart looks quite promising

(3 edits)

This program (Perler) may prove useful for producing pixel art from photos etc. -- it's free, and you get lots of options and control:

http://dolkow.se/perler/

...but it is not intended  for pixel art apparently! You'll need to take a screen shot and then play around with it.

What I started with -- Reduced -- (original image is 1820 x 2730 pixels)...

Imported into Perler and reduced in size and colour palette (note "Enlarged by 4x for your viewing pleasure" at top left)

Screen grab imported into Photoshop (any editor would do) and reduced by 4x... (Vertical green line is one pixel wide)

Exported gif file -- 1.52 k.

(Ooops! Ha ha! OR, alternatively, you could go to the Menu at the bottom ("Palette, Dithering..." etc.), and under "General",  you will see "Export Image". The program will only export PNG format, but I guess that's ok. The sizing part seems a bit quirky, so you may still want the "Screen Grab" method as a backstop.)

I could have tarted it up somewhat -- this is raw production. Better than many other programs I've seen. Hope this may be useful for some people.

Submitted

I spent over two days trying to do the image for the first room alone. I got fed up with it, did the other images and come back to it later. I was originally thinking of doing black-outlined, cartoon-style images, but that turned out to be harder than I thought. I preferred the solid-filled silhouette-style images anyway, but I couldn't get them looking nice. In the end, I chose a photo-realistic style. I restricted myself to a 16-colour palette for each image. The end result looks very much like digitised photos, but you can rest assured that there is a hell of a lot of different techniques involved to get the final result, including very careful photo selection, photo montage, vector graphics, outline tracing, bit-mapped image filters and so on. The end result looks okay, but I'd still prefer the silhouette-style. Most of the work was done with Fireworks, as I've been using that for years. Fireworks has a long history. I bought it when it was owned by Macromedia, then it was bought by Adobe, then Adobe ditched it. Yeah, thanks Adobe. There's nothing equivalent to it on the market and they go and ditch it in favour of their own more expensive products that are aimed at a completely different market.

The only real problems with Fireworks is that there are no brushes that allow you to do airbrush or spray effects without applying transparency and it doesn't seem possible to scale bit-mapped images without introducing anti-aliasing and transparency where you don't want them. Scaling vector images is no problem. (Fireworks does both vector and bit-mapped images.)

Another tool I found very useful was Pixelator. This allowed me to pixelate a bit-mapped image and reduce the number of colours in the palette. This doesn't always work well, but if you can define your palette first and force it to use your palette, the results are pretty good.

To answer my own question that started this thread, I found a program called PixelMash that looks pretty good. It's fairly new and has mixed reviews. People either love it or hate it, but those that hate it were using an early version. Does anyone have any experience with PixelMash? Unfortunately, it's not free (it costs US$25) and you only get a seven-day trial, so I want to do the trial when I have seven days to spare.

Anyway, the graphics are all finished now (unless I decide to change them again). I've loaded a couple of images on the graphics thread. Let me know what you think.

Submitted

It's very successful. The technique seems good for landscapes but is it suitable for characters?
Did someone draw the Troll?  I drew it.

Submitted

Yes, I did draw the troll, but he's in an outline style that's different to the scenery. It's very hard to draw things like people and monsters when you're restricted to so few colours in such a small screen. That's why I admire pixel artists.

Submitted

Check lospec.com for resources like tutorials and palettes.
https://www.getpaint.net/ paint.net is my go-to for pixelart.