Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

The "I Submitted My Entry" Party Thread!

A topic by Dice Problems created May 14, 2021 Views: 274 Replies: 7
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

Congratulations, fellow jammers! I'm all excited with the relief of finishing my entry (and, you know, the joy of sharing it) and figured I'm probably not the only one!

What challenged you during this jam? Did anything interesting happen while you were working on your entry? I ended up doing a bunch of math to figure out how many cards on average I'd expect the player to see before the game would end (so I could try to calibrate point values)... then figured out that there was a much easier way to calculate that same answer. But it was fun!

Submitted

Hey, 30 minutes before deadline counts, right?

My secret- I am looking forward to playtesting. I only found out about this a month ago and only really got to writing over the last two weeks. I'm incredibly grateful for the deadline extension and I gave up some game nights this week to get this done. My biggest challenge was really putting the nuts and bolts together. I knew how I wanted to start and I knew how I wanted it to end, but the whole middle bit was this cartoon. I am relying on narrative weight to impact more than mechanical considerations, but I still needed a coatrack to hang everything on, you know?

Bonus, this is my first game on Itch. So this opens some doors, which ain't bad.

Submitted(+2)

Welcome to game jamming on itch! It's a lot of fun! I enjoy the constraints (that give me something to shoot for) and deadlines (that make me actually do it sometimes.) I am not even sure how I hit on my idea but I had a cover and the game mostly figured out in a text file for the last uh... month maybe. This past couple days was just checking to make sure it would work in numbers (I think it does? Maybe????) and my final nemesis: LISTS OF THINGS. You say to yourself "oh yeah, sure, I'll write 52 prompts, it'll be fine!" But then you gotta actually do it.

Submitted

I didn't have an idea for a few days, then it clicked and I had to jot some ideas down on a notecard in a flurry. I definitely had a lull where I was like, "Who needs to write? Let's look at fonts." Those parts of the game need doing also, so it's not a waste of time.

I hope I did community copies correctly. We shall see!

Submitted(+1)

This was a fun jam and set of mechanics to design a game for! I tried to write up a dev log for Borealis so that I could capture the stuff I found difficult (or not) and thoughts I had before I forgot it, and that was a useful thing to do in itself, I found. It took quite a while to actually write all the different events... :-)

Submitted (2 edits) (+1)

We decided to join the jam a week before it was originally set to end under the guise of "What can we get done in a couple days?". As it turns out the answer would have been a probably non-pretty pdf for a game that was taking an average of 2-3 hours to complete. With the extra week we rethought the card layout and some other smaller things to get the playtime down to under and hour and made time to get the pdf looking spiffy.

Other than the extra time constraints we put on ourselves, I think the biggest challenge was realizing halfway through that we'd started with the carta base as a jumping off point but were eventually in a space where the game/concept wasn't really being helped by the card map/movements basics of carta. Needed to spend some time iterating after the first couple prototypes to get back to the concept and the base system meshing in a way that enhanced one another. It's interesting as, in most development cycles I've been in if you end up in a place that doesn't fit the original jumping off point that's fine as it's a journey. It was fun to need to go back to the drawing board and make sure we were still utilizing the benefits of specific constraints.

Submitted

My first game on itch!  

I loved setting up the numbers, running through a dozen or so plays as fast as possible to get a sense of the win / loss ration, then tweaking the numbers and doing it all again.  It gave me reassurance that the underlying game was fun (and a little addictive) before adding the narrative element.  I was also surprised to find that my playtesters unanimously wanted a harder game to win, not an easier one, and now I love that a victory is a rare thing to be savored.  It is also in keeping with my soccer fandom where the name of my team is sort of a byword for bad luck and futility, with occasional moments of fleeting glory . . .

(I think Fleeting Glory is the name of my next game . . .)

Submitted

Oh - I also learned that I have a lot to learn about layout and graphic design . . .