Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Skill Exchange!

A topic by Philippa Mort created Dec 22, 2021 Views: 368 Replies: 9
Viewing posts 1 to 7
Submitted(+2)

As a community we all have lots of different skills, from art, to layout, to editing, to playtesting, to proofreading, to general cheerleading. I thought we could use this post to ask for and offer help while we make our games! 

For example, if you are a new designer and would like some help with finding good stock art, figuring out InDesign, or would like to use one of my artworks (https://www.deviantart.com/philippamort/gallery) for your game, please do reach out and I'll see if I can help!

HostSubmitted(+1)

This is a great idea! I will also be on Twitter all of next week to help answer questions, or at least RT so that other people can help! For anyone reading, a couple of more notes: A lot of people use Affinity Publisher, so we should have lots of community wisdom to draw on. Also, Pixabay, Pexels, and Unsplash are some great sites for free stock art. And absolutely feel free to post in this topic or start a new one!

For the next jam, I'll set up a Discord server, but for now, community posts and Twitter will be our way of helping each other out!

Submitted(+1)

I might add Creative Commons to that list. There is a lot of neat stuff on there, including a lot of fantasy related silhouettes, objects, and figures if you take time to search.

Submitted(+1)

I could take an editing pass for folks - grammar and spelling, etc. I’m still new to game design so that might be the extent of what I can offer besides enthusiasm. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m definitely in the market for playtesters, I have no contacts for that yet and may recruit for another bigger project later on if all parties are amenable. 

Submitted(+2)

I'd love some help finding art and with layout! I'm just using a Google Doc and this is my first game so I'll be leaning on everyone else for help with that kind of stuff. Excited for this!

Submitted(+1)

Do you have software or a website in mind? Our host suggested Affinity (which I’m trying for the first time, I’m going for my first published game too), I’ve seen that website Canva used for Neon Nights; for a first timer I imagine InDesign is a bit too much of a complexity barrier. 

Submitted

When I do layout for my projects, I write it all in Google Docs, and then do the layout in Open Office.

Open Office is basically the free version of Word, and it's pretty decent for layout. Plus, if you've used Microsoft Word, you know most of the stuff you need to know for Open Office.

Submitted

I'm always taking feedback, criticism, ideas, or grammatical advice. I can't say I've got much technical expertise here, but I'm pretty good to spitball ideas with. You can message me on twitter (@mrfishy42) or on discord (mrfishy42#3380) to help me with Saltwater Dogs or for feedback on your own project.

Submitted

Fantastic idea! I can give a last minute editing pass for anyone that needs it.

Submitted

I would love to do an exchange of skill for folks if possible. I can offer proofreading (grammar, spelling, tone, etc.) and editing (rules, flow, etc.) as well as general design feedback. I would love to have some do a quick sketch of an idea I had for the cover of my game: a character dressed in a sort of science fantasy look (Star Wars or Dune meets wild west or something like that). A literal sketch is fine here. 

Alternatively, if you're an artist who can help me out here, I can just pay you for your time. Either way, let me know!