Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics


A topic by Inu Games created Nov 03, 2019 Views: 745 Replies: 6
Viewing posts 1 to 5
(1 edit) (+1)

Hi everyone,

I sell couple of game assets on the Unreal Merketplace, but I want to sell them elsewhere too, like here on itch. I more or less figured everything about how works by now, but one question remains:

How do you write a license for your assets? 

On UE Market this is already covered, there is a standard license that covers everything, so you don't need to worry. Is there something like that here? I didn't found.

Just wanted to see if someone knows about those things.

There isn't any, you can add it on the description if you want to.

Moderator moved this topic to Questions & Support

You can pick a license for each project in Metadata->Release Info, separately for code and assets. The two lists only cover open source and free culture licenses though, for anything else you have to write your own like firecat said.

Sorry,  I think I didn't explained  properly. I mean, I don't know how to write my own license. 

I just want something  simple, saying "don't distribute  please", but I have no idea how to make it, or even if I need to make it. I thought maybe there is some standard license like that. On Unreal Market there is one, but it's crafted for the Unreal Market.

On the web I see a lot of advice saying "ask your lawyer". Well, where I live there is no such a thing like "my lawyer" :) There are lawyers of course, but they cost so much it's totally over the board for a $10 asset pack.


I don't know, sorry, and our admins don't provide legal advice either. That said, you probably don't need to worry so much. Just state what uses you allow. People who buy your assets will want to know. It doesn't need to be all formal because, frankly, most people just want to be honest. And those who don't? A strongly-worded license isn't going to keep them at bay, and it would be moot anyway unless you could afford to sue. In which case you could also get a lawyer.

Thank you!


Maybe this homepage could help?

This topic has been auto-archived and can no longer be posted in because there haven't been any posts in a while.