lovely music and pacing adds some good tension 👍
Recent community posts
this is cool! :) great visual design too.
I enjoy casual games like this. in fact, I think I might actually learn how to use the keyboard without looking now :P
I agree with having some sort of incentive to play longer. It doesn't have to be ranking up difficulty, combo meters, or points. Could be something like different firework types / trails / paths after awhile, different backgrounds, etc.
I did notice that after I tried to make all 4 fireworks explode at once in one action, now only 3 letters show up and the 4th firework can never be sploded.
Here's some others:
Walking simulator in 1 minute: https://twitter.com/lexaloffle/status/871048334525341697
PocketChip refs. A separate handheld device, but it has PICO-8 on it from the getgo. There's some good stuff in here for teachers as well:
Hopefully soon, this workbook will be completed: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bumblebee/how-to-make-games-with-pico-8-eng...
It has a itch page https://tassilo.itch.io/howtomakegames but only part 1 is complete
Guess I should put the official FAQ and manual (which is btw included with each copy of PICO-8)
I noticed there were a number of people using PICO-8 that were new to it, so I compiled a list of resources that might be helpful :)
What is PICO-8?
There's a large PICO-8 community making content everywhere! Pick n choose what you like :)
General community resources:
- The main resource for PICO-8 is its bulletin board system/forum. People ask questions, post their games, etc up on the bbs, and you can play the games there directly in your browser! (in fact, the splore command pulls its games from here)
- Speaking of the splore command, I definitely recommend looking at some simple or juicy games there and take little bits from them you like. for example, Trasevol_dog does some awesome screenshake and sprite outlines in his games
- PICO-8 has a really active Twitter community. There is a treasure trove of info and content available on there.
- PICO-8 has a Discord server too!
- The community has published some FanZines! [originals] [new one] (there are some good programming tips n tricks here too)
- The creator of the new zine ^ is part of a twitch group that does PICO-8 tutorials often
General info and resources:
Programming tutorials, tips, n tricks:
- PICO-8 HERO ^
- PICO-8 Spaceshooter game in 16 gifs!
- My local group hosted a PICO-8 bootcamp. Here's some of the resources we made
Music tutorials n such:
- gruber_99 is the rockstar of PICO-8. He does amazing pico-8 music that you should all check out. Some of his music is on PICO-8's BBS too (as in on splore!)
- tons of really good TL;DR pixel art tutorials/tips in Gif form
Game Feel tips:
- Trasevol_dog has awesome games w/ great game feel. He also made a video about it ^ (I like his Gar's Den and One Room Dungeon game in particular)
- Game Feel transfers to any platform! see these awesome vids to get a feel for game feel:
(Team) Name: Not a Good Idea
Twitch URL(s): https://www.twitch.tv/irdumbs
Looking for a team?: sure! but it's not in your best interest to join. I'm a bit crazy 👀
Game Engine: Solely GLSL and/or p5.js + super sercret sauce
Genre: No idea yet
Short Description: Not sure yet! I'm taking this game jam w/ a more experimental approach. Will be focusing more on learning and trying out crazy stuff than on finishing a game.