I noticed there were a number of people using PICO-8 that were new to it, so I compiled a list of resources that might be helpful :)
What is PICO-8?
There's a large PICO-8 community making content everywhere! Pick n choose what you like :)
General community resources:
- The main resource for PICO-8 is its bulletin board system/forum. People ask questions, post their games, etc up on the bbs, and you can play the games there directly in your browser! (in fact, the splore command pulls its games from here)
- Speaking of the splore command, I definitely recommend looking at some simple or juicy games there and take little bits from them you like. for example, Trasevol_dog does some awesome screenshake and sprite outlines in his games
- PICO-8 has a really active Twitter community. There is a treasure trove of info and content available on there.
- PICO-8 has a Discord server too!
- The community has published some FanZines! [originals] [new one] (there are some good programming tips n tricks here too)
- The creator of the new zine ^ is part of a twitch group that does PICO-8 tutorials often
General info and resources:
Programming tutorials, tips, n tricks:
- PICO-8 HERO ^
- PICO-8 Spaceshooter game in 16 gifs!
- My local group hosted a PICO-8 bootcamp. Here's some of the resources we made
Music tutorials n such:
- gruber_99 is the rockstar of PICO-8. He does amazing pico-8 music that you should all check out. Some of his music is on PICO-8's BBS too (as in on splore!)
- tons of really good TL;DR pixel art tutorials/tips in Gif form
Game Feel tips:
- Trasevol_dog has awesome games w/ great game feel. He also made a video about it ^ (I like his Gar's Den and One Room Dungeon game in particular)
- Game Feel transfers to any platform! see these awesome vids to get a feel for game feel: