Let's just say it's "a bit too heavily inspired".
Recent community posts
I've been asked directly so I wanted to give a short update on the status of Nonsense Soccer, as it's been a couple of months without any updates.
As some of you know, I'm the co-founder of the game studio Parta Games and we're currently working on Choppa: Rescue Rivals (which you can wishlist by the way, it's gonna be awesome!) It's unfortunately going to take a bit longer because we are completely self-funding our studio (I'm currently also contracting on another game so three games to be involved in is plenty). I'm also expecting a new family member to be born next year, which will eat up into my spare time significantly. All this now means that Nonsense will not be getting feature updates in 2022.
I've been really anxious to continue developing Nonsense, but as some of you might know, making games is really hard and there's only that many hours in a day. It's important to me that each game I'm credited in, is of top quality. This is why, at least for now, Nonsense feature updates are going on an indefinite hiatus.
Don't worry though,
I'm already pretty proud of this little game and think it's fun and the price point is ok. I hope you'll have fun what is there already. I've planned a bigger secret announcement towards the 2022-2023 time frame, so stay tuned!
Changelist for Update #6
- Menu overhaul
I basically revised most, if not all of the main and in-game menus. Nonsense looks a lot prettier and is intuitive now, at least I think so! :)
The team select screen is still a bit work in progress and some of the menu transitions are a bit annoying (like when you return from the game, most of the player-made settings reset). I'll get around to fixing them as soon as I can :)
I've been pretty busy with work stuff so no gameplay changes in this update, but I've scheduled some improvements and new features for the next one. Stay tuned!
Whoops, sorry for the short radio silence, I've been super busy at the day job recently. Update #4 is really close and I crammed in a little bit more stuff than I initially planned. Not going to break my streak of not making any promises, but it's looking real good I can release the update before Christmas.
Update 0.4.0 Status:
I've been hard at work on the update during the past weeks, haven't really had the time to post progress here. Here are some of the things I'm hoping to include in the next release:
- Game modifiers! (Number of balls, Ball size, Time scale, Gravity scale)
- A couple of cosmetics (hats, basically)
- Improved team select screen
- More dynamic in-game camera
- Increase jump stop stun to 2 seconds to make it more effective
- Lots of bugfixes
Known issues in 0.3.x:
- Player movement when "strafing" towards the ball is bugged
- Possible problems when starting "How to Play" after playing a local multiplayer match
- Keyboard bindings bugged in some Linux distros.
A little update, the Steam release took a couple of weeks off my schedule (partly because I wanted to take it a bit easier during the release to fix bugs etc.)
I'm gonna push a little update to the game later that adds all the little improvements I had to make for the Steam release.
Also, now you get the Steam key when purchasing Nonsense Soccer from Itch too, so it's a pretty good deal.
My current plan is to release Update #3 before the end of the year. The current plan is to develop these features:
- Traditional soccer rules
- Current rules are fun, but a bit on the casual side and I think lots of people would appreciate traditional soccer rules where you play for a set of time and the team with the most goals win, or before a tie, the game goes into overtime
- Item powerups and item switch
- This just seems like a fun chaotic thing to add for more party-like game modes
- Player name entry
- I just want to enter my own name!
- Local leaderboard and other stats
- As the game doesn't contain a proper save file yet, no stats are saved. Going to fix this in this update.
- Possible community/tester feedback related features
- The more feedback I get, the better the game becomes!
Known issues in Update #2 (0.2.1)
No known issues yet
Here's stuff that changed in Update #2 (0.2.x)
- Added new kick targeting controls
- Added new wall jump ability
- Added a new arena
- Added new target practice mode with several challenges!
- Removed game launcher
- Added new menus
- Added improved graphics and sound settings to menus
- Lots of visual improvements
- Some new gameplay mechanics and other improvements
Bi-monthly reminder that the next update is still on it's way. Summer came and is on it's way out so progress has been a bit slow as I've been trying not to burn myself out with juggling several projects. Still no date for the next update but it's on the pipeline. Let's say very soon.
Just FYI I'll be updating WIP stuff on my Twitter account a lot more frequently so follow me there if you want to see some more progress updates!
Currently one of the most important gameplay changes I'm prototyping is a way for the player to properly aim kicks in the game. There is actually a system that does the aiming under the hood, but it's been dependent on a couple of factors...
I don't think that was a good idea tho, because it removes a lot of the feeling of control from the match, so I'm allowing complete control over "kick aiming" in the next update. Let's see how it goes!
I've now officially continued work on this game in my spare time, so I'm hopeful Update #2 will hit some time during the summer. I'm also planning a Steam Early Access release to coincide with the second update *audience gasps* The plan is to have a playable demo version as a free download on Itch, with 4p mode and the current levels included. The paid Steam Early Access version will contain lots of extra features and content for paying customers. I will also do my best to make the full version purchase available on Itch.
Meanwhile, here's a sneak peek of the overhauled menus, inspired a bit by FIFA games, obviously:
Hi, thanks, glad you like it! :) I added a situation update in the other post a while ago but basically COVID-19 situation threw a huge wrench in my plans so Update #2 is taking a bit longer.
Just a friendly reminder that the general COVID-19 situation is destroying pretty much all my plans affecting this game's roadmap. So it might take a couple of weeks (hopefully not months) before I can return to active development. Fun to see some of you playing this early version of the game, though. It really makes me happy!
Hi, thanks for the video :D We tried to make it as disturbing as we could :D
All the music should be properly credited free music by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com).
All sfx is either made by us with a recorder, or from freesound.org. Not sure if some sfx credit or another went missing while picking the sounds in a hurry (it’s a jam game after all). But if you’re still having trouble, I’ll try to find out all the sound origins.
all the sprite assets were custom made by venni the artist
Update #2 status
The new features are well underway, but I'm currently renovating a room in my house so I'm deliberately postponing the Update #2 for a few weeks. It's invigorating to see so many downloading the game and having fun with it, I can't wait to get back to work on this game!
Known issues in the latest build (0.1.0)
- In some cases the players can clip through level geometry
- In some levels the charge meter is rendered behind level geometry
List will update as issues are found.
Here's mostly everything that changed in Update #1 (0.1.0):
- Added 3-4p mode (2v2 and 1v2)
- Added controller support for 4 players
- Added rudimentary keyboard bindings for all 4 players
- Added two new levels
- Added "boomerang ball" option
- Players run slightly faster when charging
- Linux version is now downloadable (I reserve the right to support this version poorly as I have no proper means to test it)
- Fixed visual and collision detection issues in levels
- Balls no longer randomly roll to another player's side when starting a round
- Improved aspect ratio support
- The in-game score counter wasn't always visible while playing
- Various other menu & hud fixes and improvements
- Many other bugfixes
Here's my rough plan for the first update (subject to change):
- 2v2 mode for 4 players with full controller support DONE
- Two new levels DONE
- Slide tackle and/or other gameplay improvements IN PROGRESS
- Bugfixes (see known issues) IN PROGRESS
The biggest thing I'm still on the fence about is the automatic kicking mechanic. Currently it feels pretty good, but it makes the game less skill-based than I would hope for. My current plan is to figure out if this is a good mechanic going forward. My plan to verify this, is to make the charge button the kick button, so you can tap quickly to kick and also charge a bigger force. Let's see how it goes. Playtesting ensues.
Hi, I'm pretty busy this week, so I won't be updating the game immediately, but here's a post that will contain all the issues found in the game:
Level 2 (Stairs) has an issue where the coloured blocks on top of the goals will let the ball through, essentially making the goal a bit larger.
Sometimes the in-game score counter is not visible.
Playing with 1 keyboard and 1 controller is currently hard or impossible. The game defaults to P1 for both, so if you want to play locally, you'll need 2 separate controllers or you need to play on the same keyboard. The controls for single keyboard are as follows:
- Move: WASD
- Jump: Z
- Charge: X
- Strafe: C
- Move: IJKL
- Jump: B
- Charge: N
- Strafe: M
I'm committed to fixing all the bugs eventually. I'm currently working on this on my free time and dedicating focus on the next update, so it might take a couple of weeks. Stay tuned!
It's Nonsense Soccer day!
Hello, everyone! This being my first release on Itch, you probably don't know anything about me. I'm Antti and I make games. When it's office hours, I work at Parta Games (I also co-founded it!). During the nights, I do experimental things, like this game here.
Nonsense Soccer is a 2D arcade-y platformer-soccer-hybrid. It's a kinda wonky soccer game for two players and is now up for grabs if you want to be an early adopter. And yes, it's free for the time being, so no worries on me emptying your bank account (but you could donate if you like the game or if you like the idea of me getting some food and shelter!).
The project page is pretty up-to-date about detailed information regarding this game, so I'm not going to parrot it here. It also contains my initial plan for upcoming updates, so if you like the game, please check out what's in store in the future.
I hope you have fun playing Nonsense Soccer!