Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Things you would like to see in the jam

A topic by 925 Games created Aug 26, 2020 Views: 333 Replies: 13
Viewing posts 1 to 6
HostSubmitted(+1)

Is there something you would really like to see/learn about? List it here. Maybe there's someone who already knows about that thing and is willing to create a resource for it

Submitted(+3)

Some ideas for designers more talented or experienced than me:

• Layout 101 i.e. what you have to do when starting a big project, especially things that save time and pain later!
  • Layout 201 advice i.e. Affinity Tips and Tricks
  • How to use "blend" modes / layers to make public domain art look more interesting
Submitted(+2)

Since several months, I've been thinking of making short documents summarizing some movements in the history of graphic design, plus giving some tips to be inspired by them. This jam could be the time to do so, if i succeed in taking the necessary time before the deadline

Submitted(+1)

Wow! That would be amazing, Angela. Don't push yourself to do anything too complicated in these difficult times but I would love to see whatever you come up with - even if it's a list of links. :D

Submitted(+1)

I will try to make at least a short preamble. :) or i could come up with a "step-by-step ebook (for those who don't know how to code and have never made an ebook before)", i guess it's also an important thing

(+4)

I've been getting pretty deep in the affinity workflow over the last month so I'm sure I can share some of the things I've learned!

Submitted(+4)

Also thinking on a simple "to-do-list" for accessibility, because we can find a lot of resources out there but information is often dispersed or hidden in long texts. If someone wants to do it, or collaborate, go!

Submitted

I know I for one would love this. I always find myself in over my head, and accessibility is important!

(1 edit) (+2)

Eagerly watching these suggestions. I'm bit worried because although I've made a lot of games, I don't think I'm much good for giving advice about process, since mine is extremely informal and personal and inefficient. 

I'm primarily a visual designer, artist and editor, and web developer. What would you value from somebody with that skillset? (I've considered offering a WordPress plugin I made for creating a D&D4e-style rules compendium, but I'm dubious as to how useful that would be.)

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated :)

As for suggestions for others, anything to do with the financial side of it all would be very helpful to me. I would especially appreciate any advice on how to approach artists to license existing work, terms one might use, what would be reasonable rates—that kind of thing! :)

Submitted(+2)

Well, I was completely stumped as to what to write about at first too. I am 100% amateur and have no education on anything you can use to make RPGs (writing, graphic design, publishing, marketing, etc) and I don't know how to use any fancy programs like Photoshop or Affinity that I keep seeing people mention all the time in the TTRPG discord I'm part of. I was sure I had nothing I could share.

But then I remembered a friend recently asked me which program I had used to make the Lasers and Feelings version of Adiotopia and  I just chuckled and replied "Microsoft Word?". That made me realize that, sometimes, we might be missing out on some features of the very basic programs we use to work everyday.

And so that's what I decided to write about. If you're an amateur, which free resources out there might be of use to you? And what neat tricks can you come up in programs such as MS Word that make your document more than just "a blank canvas with black letters?"

Ultimately, just stop and think what sort of knowledge or resources do you use when creating your TTRPGs and share that with the community. :)

An overview of your process would honestly be helpful. As someone who is simultaneously intrigued &  intimidated by the process of creating a Game Resource or even a full System, it would be good to see multiple ways people do it (including yours)!

HostSubmitted

I would like to see a super easy template, that only uses free software, for making a business card

Submitted(+2)

i guess i would like to see kind of a short essay on "why do people spend time to create (TRPGs or whatever), even under difficult social & financial conditions"

Want to understand, bc even after doing art/design school, short sociology training, and working on some art stuff.. i never understood please help me ahah

(+1)

The first paragraph of this is why I do it.