Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Comments on 'Burgle, Burgle'

A topic by auraes created Mar 12, 2020 Views: 285 Replies: 33
Viewing posts 1 to 10

The game is short and quite simple, but I'm not sure it's possible to finish it.
The object "YE FLASK" allows you to get the "GOLDEN GOBLET" but also to get rid of the "GUARD DENNIS". Except that it is one or the other, but not both (unless there is another possibility).
There is a bug with 'GET ALL' that allows you to get the SODA and the POTION without paying!
Some default messages are missing to enrich the game a bit.

Submitted

Stuck on this one.  No idea how to get the key from the bathroom, get rid of Guard Dennis or get hold of the bikini.  I also don't know what I'm supposed to do with the jerky.

I had to restart quite early on as well because I gave my coins to Guard Ratherdashing and couldn't then buy the stuff in the shop!  Is there a way to get the coins back off the guard?

(1 edit)

For the key use the hanger, but before that you will have to get rid of the guard Dennis (if you still have the flask). For the bikini, you will find the answer in the bedroom, but you need the key. For the coins given to the Ratherdashing guard, I had never tried it before, and maybe it's another bug.

It's a pity, it could have been a nice little game.

Submitted

I've tried getting rid of guard Dennis using the flask, but he's not interested in it. How'd you do that?

? use flask

Submitted

I have the same issues, except that I haven't found the jerky. Where did you find that? It wasn't in the barrel, was it? If so, how did you get into the barrel?

Submitted

It was in the barrel, yes.  You use the soap.

Submitted

But, but, but I tried that. I'll have to try again.

Submitted

The barrel was the key. I had tried everything I could think of to clean the mold off the barrel and all I had to do was USE soap. I wish authors wouldn't use USE. It's a real cop-out. This game uses it a lot.

Anyway, once I had the big jerky, the rest of the game was a doddle. I've finished now.

P.S. Don't use the flask on Dennis, as you need it somewhere else.

Submitted

Finished the game.  One more issue - you can't drop the soda or the knife individually (at least not in the treasure room where I tried this), but they can be dropped using DROP ALL.

Submitted

Never realized there was a "Get all" command....huh. My bad there. Honestly giving the money to Ratherdashing is intentional and the outcome of nothing happen is intentional. Guy took your money at laughed in your face. If its confusing I do apologize

Submitted

Out of curiosity, what are these default messages for future projects?

There's a lot of NOTHING SPECIAL and NOT UNDERSTOOD:

Drink SODA/POTION: Not understood.
Examine SODA/POTION: Nothing special.
Talk SHOPKEEPER: Not understood.
Examine soap : smells fresh.
Smell soap: Not understood.
And many others (with MOLDY BARREL or other objects).

Submitted

Like I have stuff written in the MSG parts of many of those items. I dont know why they dont work when you examine them

Submitted

I think I found the problem. The object names done match the title shown in the game that the player would use for commands. Did my best to work out these problems

Submitted

There are default command handlers for GET, DROP, WEAR, REMOVE (these all support ALL), INVENTORY,SAVE, LOAD, WAIT and possibly a few others that I can't remember just at the moment. You can also use IT after any verb that expects a noun and it will use the noun from the previous command. For example, EXAMINE AXE, GET IT.

Adventuron may have a list of these somewhere, but I don't think they're properly documented.

Submitted

Thank you all for the feedback. Keep it coming if there is anything else to cover.

Is it possible to get through GUARD DENNIS without the YE FLASK (which can be used in several places)?

Submitted

Yes

Submitted

How? I've tried numerous things, but he doesn't react to anything, except to prevent me going east or to catch me when I take the tapestry. Others have talked about using the flask, but I can't get him to take it.

? use flask

Submitted

Thanks. I'm sure I tried that, but I'll try again.

Submitted (2 edits)

Do any of you have codes that can circumvent the "take all" or the "get all" commands? I have this but ti doesnt seem to be working?

Submitted

This issue wasnt a problem for any other situation in the game. I did a brute force solution that fixed the issue

Submitted

You normally don't have to do anything. What happens behind the scenes is that if you use GET ALL, Adventuron identifies all the objects that are in scope (using is_beside) and attempts to get each of those objects. The action handler for each object is exactly the same as if you had typed them individually. I'd strongly recommend against overriding the default behaviour with :match "TAKE ALL", as this prevents you getting objects that you've dropped that don't have to be bought. If you're having trouble with GET ALL, there may be something wrong with the action handlers for the individual objects. You should check this first.

As an example of how this works in practice, go to the stationery store in 'Igor's Quest' and try GET ALL. You'll get separate messages for each of the objects that needs to be bought. The only downside is that if there is an object that can be taken, I think you get the auto_redescribe and the screen refreshes before you can read all the messages.

Host

The only downside is that if there is an object that can be taken, I think you get the auto_redescribe and the screen refreshes before you can read all the messages.

This should not happen. If it doesh happen then I'd love to see a sample source code that demonstrates this. 

The auto redescribe should only happen once per batch. A get all initiates a batch.

Submitted

That was a gut feeling. I'm not sure whether I've seen it in practice.

Host

Understood.

Submitted (1 edit)

This is a bit embarrassing, but how do I get into the manor? I have an open window, but no matter how hard I try, I can't get in. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

EDIT: Forget it. I'm an idiot. I forgot that I was carrying a ladder with me. D'oh!

Submitted

I'm stumped. I've got a few ideas, but they all entail doing a restart. I thought I'd have a look at this thread and it looks like I've got myself into several unwinnable situations because I've used things that have multiple uses. Once used, there's no getting them back.

One question that hasn't been answered though is how to get the bikini. I have a sharp knife, but no idea how to use it. Everything I try gives a bog-standard system response. I suspect it's a guess-the-noun problem. Any hints on this one?

Also, I'm trying to use the soap to lubricate the floorboards in the bedroom to remove the creak. No luck with that. Am I on the right track?

Many more questions, but this will do for now.

Submitted

I really think I need to concentrate on the creaky floor, as the knot book may help with the bikini and the diamond ring may help with the glass cabinet.

Submitted

I'm spending too much time on this, so here's the comments on things I've found so far. In case it's not obvious, most of these issues have come up because I'm desperate. Desperation leads to trying all sorts of weird and wonderful things that reveal more and more shortcomings in the game. It's better to provide in-game hints so that players don't get this desperate. I suspect that I have got into an unwinnable state because I've used things that are needed elsewhere. Who knows? Anyway, here goes...

I played version 1.1.0.

Your title screen is chopped off at the bottom. This might be an Adventuron issue that I've reported to Chris. When scaling, it seems to use the horizontal dimensions and ignores the vertical dimensions. Try using a different aspect ratio. I've been using 4:3 and that seems to work okay.

The title screen and itch.io game page have the title as "Burgle, Burgle", but the game_information{} block has it as "BURGLE-BURGLE".

In the intro, "...their 5 treasures" should be "...his five treasures."

Consider overriding the default CREDITS with your own. You can still see the system credits with *CREDITS.

Consider overriding the system HELP with your own, as the default response is longer than 6 words.

Make sure that all sentences in responses end with a full stop.

You can't SIT or SIT COUCH.

You can GET ALL in the shop to bypass buying items, but when I try to drop those items, it says "Don't have.", even though they're in my inventory. Fortunately, I can DROP ALL to drop those items and then do the right thing.

When I BUY SODA, it says "Take them." I thought "them" should have been "it", as I only bought one item, but it turns out that I had bought both items without knowing it. Consider buying one item at a time. Thus when you buy the first item, you are left with one coin. When you buy the second item, you are left with no coins. You should be able to buy the items in any order.

You should provide a response to X SODA and X POTION, especially the latter, so that you know what they are. This should give you an idea where to use them.

I have given the soda to the guard before the potion, now I'm worried that I might need it later. If I do need it later, you should prevent the guard from drinking it (e.g. "I don't drink lolly water."), as the game rules state that you should not be able to get the game into an unwinnable state.

I think *GULP* should be outside the quotes, i.e. *Gulp* "Thanks." or "Thanks." *Gulp*

X RATHERDASHING after disabling him says, "Nothing special." This should give the same response as X SLEEPING, as players are more likely to examine the noun than the adjective.

When you OPEN DOOR, "Doesn't work." should be something like "It's locked." When you UNLOCK DOOR, "Not understood." should be something like "Need key." Also, allow for other things that the player is likely to try like CLOSE, LOCK, HIT, KICK, BREAK, SMASH, KNOCK, TAP and so on and also PICK LOCK.

When you go north at manor courtyard, it says "Door's locked", but should really say "Door's closed." You should only get told that the door is locked when you try to open it. Think about it. This is how it works in real life.

You can't ENTER/CLIMB/GO/USE WINDOW. I forgot that I had a ladder with me, but any attempt to enter the window without the ladder should have said "Too high." or something like that.

Also allow for OPEN, CLOSE, BREAK WINDOW and so on.

You can't CLIMB LADDER.

"Upperhallway" should be two words, but that would make the room descriptions three words. Therefore, change "upperhallway" to "hallway", as "upper" isn't necessary, or delete all the directions and just have a number of identical upper hallways. Ditto for "lowerhallway". Also, change "south upperhallway" to "centre hallway", as there's no further hallway immediately to its north.

Using the flask is equivalent to unlocking a door. You should still need to open the door before you can go N or W or whatever.

"Lord" should be a synonym for "Clayton".

You can't READ BOOK.

You can't WAKE CLAYTON.

It doesn't understand UNTIE, even though something is tied.

"Butterknife" should be "Butter knife" (i.e. two words). Even so, "knife" should be a synonym for "butterknife".

I felt that you should be able to OPEN CABINET, otherwise it would just be shelves. I later discovered that it was locked.

It didn't understand PUSH/PULL/TURN/ROLL/OPEN/HIT/BREAK/SMASH/CUT/PRY/PRISE/PRIZE/LEVER/JEMMY/CLEAN/WASH/WIPE BARREL and didn't understand MOLD or MOULD.

You can't WASH/CLEAN/WIPE/RUB KEY, even with soap.

You can't FLUSH/CLEAN/UNCLOG/USE TOILET.

"Guard" should be a synonym for "Dennis" in the appropriate location. You can't TALK/SPEAK/ASK/QUESTION/TELL/GIVE/SHOW/HIT/KILL/ATTACK/FIGHT/KICK/KISS/HUG/EMBRACE/TOUCH/FEEL/SEARCH DENNIS.

When you SHARPEN BUTTERKNIFE a second time, "Doesn't work." should be "Already sharp." When you EXAMINE BUTTERKNIFE after sharpening it, "Nothing special." should be "Sharp."

You can't RUB/SCRAPE/WIPE/WASH/CLEAN/OIL/LUBRICATE FLOOR with soap or similar things with SOAP as the noun.

You can't FILL SINK.

You can't WET/LATHER/CUT/SHAVE/SCRAPE/GRATE SOAP.

More later if I can get any further.

Incidentally, I really like this game, but it's very frustrating.

I finished the game, but I'm not sure there aren't deadlock situations that prevent the game from ending.

Submitted

There are several solutions to puzzles that can get you into an unwinnable situation, but they all have alternative solutions. I think most (if not all) of these involve the flask. Strictly speaking, this is contrary to the jam rules, but, as a player, I'm prepared to turn a blind eye, as it has some nice puzzles. I just wish it didn't use USE to solve so many puzzles and had anticipated more actions.