Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Progress thread!

A topic by Lenny Sirivong created Dec 21, 2020 Views: 906 Replies: 32
Viewing posts 1 to 24
(1 edit) (+1)

Who doesn't love an in progress gif? Let's see yours!

I'll kick things off: I have some basic movement and a box pushing interaction. Currently planning on making some kind of variation of a sokoban.

Submitted(+1)

Host

Interesting stuff! Would love to see everyone's progress!

(+1)

Lots of code refactoring today - now I have "undo-able" movement:

Plus I added a little input visualizer in the corner for fun :)

Submitted(+3)

So far, I've been making a platformer using the platformer tutorial by Nerdy Teachers on YouTube. Progress has been good these past few days.

So far I've got the first three of four levels pretty much done. I've got the fourth and final level to do, as well as some miscellaneous stuff such as a win screen for when the game is beaten.

Submitted(+3)

Submitted(+2)

Today I had to relearn the law of similar triangles  for this...

Submitted(+2)

I've made a lot less progress than I'd like (thanks, life), but I still have a sliver of optimism that I can finish my Atari 2600 Haunted House remake in time.

Still to do: scoring, enemy logic, music, sfx, start screen.

Still to do pie in the sky edition: In the Atari version, the walls and items are invisible unless you have a lit match in the vicinity. But do I have the time/skill to implement a working map/object lighting system? Questionable!

(+1)

This is a great write-up about one lighting technique: https://hackernoon.com/pico-8-lighting-part-1-thin-dark-line-8ea15d21fed7 Maybe interesting for a post-jam version!

I think there are other, simpler techniques possible, and since 2017 pico8 also added the tline function that’s a gamechanger for textures, so there are probably new techniques to discover!

Submitted(+1)

Thanks! I did find that, but also ran across a very compact version on the BBS that does precisely what I need. It's the "circle map" function here: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=38881 in case anyone else is looking for something similar.

I integrated this into the game and it works great. So that's off the list, as well as the start screen. At this point I feel like the stuff that's left is very doable in the remaining time :)

Submitted(+3)

Golden Goblet COMPLETE! I've now completed and submitted my game! First one to submit too. I'm very pleased with how the game turned out.  Ya'll can play it if you want if you check out the submissions. 

Submitted(+2)

Lighting is a go now! Enemies are invisible until they get within a certain distance of you (static here, but they'll usually be chasing you), the startup option to make the match not flicker for those for whom it can trigger seizures is done (enabled here), and the UI showing how many matches & lives you have left, what floor you're on, and how many of the pieces of treasure you collected is in. Start screen & story intro also done (not shown here).

TODO: treasure, win & lose scenarios, death, music/sfx, and some tightening of my a* pathfinding for the diabolical denizens of the house. I feel pretty confident about finishing now!

Submitted (1 edit) (+2)

It's a Christmas miracle! I finished my first Pico-8 game! 

Submitted(+1)

Now with 10% more fun!  Added blinky lights in the forest. Train tracks now reverse direction each time you board. Fixed a bug.

(+2)

Simple platformer with diffetent envisoments

Submitted(+2)

Well, the game is finished, in that it's runnable, playable, winnable and losable :). Tomorrow is adding music/sfx, the final gameplay logic (fiends stealing items when they catch you), maybe a little juiciness/flair and the ever-popular number tweaking.

Here's the current start screen - I built the spooky house you're trying to escape out of some of the sprites!

Submitted(+4)

(+3)

Just your average platformer for now.

Jumping,shooting and coin collecting

I just added a main menu with an animation for the beggining of the game

(+1)

They are so beautiful....

wich are?

(+1)

They all are!

Submitted(+3)

With more days than I expected left, I'm down to just a couple of nagging bugs that feel quickly solvable (I should never say that out loud). Fiends can now catch you, blow out your match when they get close, steal your key & treasure and the "homeowner" flies in to mock you when you die :). They don't always come right for you, which makes it possible to avoid them, but it's hard when you're bumping into walls in the dark!

(+4)

Added keys and a little explanation for when you get the gun. Added also sfx and music

Submitted(+3)

Now with 12% more fun!! Added sparks to the live wire, a more satisfying transition to the forest, and an appropriately catastrophic ending if the snek eats its own tail.  This feels done now.

(+1)

Nice

Submitted

Thanks!  This jam has been a lot of fun.  Looking forward to playing all the games that come out of this.

(+1)

I don't think I will be able to finish mine on time sadly

Submitted

Scale back! Cut it back to its core.   I had to leave stuff out of my game too.

Submitted(+1)

I crossed the finish line! I'm sure there are things I can clean up, but I wasn't sure how much time I'd have over the weekend, and eventually you just have to let the baby crawl :). This jam has been a blast, I've had fun thinking of different ways to interpret the sprites and make something I hope is fun for more than just me :).

Submitted(+1)

Oh boy, I got into this jam way too late, and I've never done anything in Pico-8 before so my chances of completing something is rather slim. But I really liked the idea so I wanted to be a part of it!

Ok, time to get some coding done then... Must stop procrastinating...

PS - I also managed to complete AX JOY TOMB! :)

Submitted(+2)

Phew... Managed to implement our hero... This is Ninjack!

Loving Pico-8 so far :)

Anyone want to help me out by playtesting my game? https://lsirivong.itch.io/tbj2 (password: tbj)

Happy to do the same for you if you'd like!

It's a fairly straightforward sokoban-like, taking some inspiration from A Monster's Expedition which I started playing recently.

I'd appreciate any and all feedback! I'm particularly curious about any thoughts on the puzzles - difficulty, pacing, aesthetic, interest... anything! I'm hoping to update the title and "win" screens and fill in some blank areas where I need some more puzzles before submitting - so feel free to ignore those aspects!

Submitted