Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

[Question] Avoiding Spoilers

A topic by Ludipe created Dec 02, 2019 Views: 324 Replies: 8
Viewing posts 1 to 6

Hi there!

I was toying around with Google Slides to decide whether I could make something for the jam or not and there are two things that are quite annoying.

• When loading a slide, players will always be able to see its full contents before playing (on the preview). I thought of adding a black rectangle on top of every slide that disappears after the first click. If I share the presentation through a "view only" link then the content will be hidden (users could always download it and take a look, but at least they're not seeing it right away). It should work but interaction would be much slower for users.
  • Blocking arrow keys and enter. I couldn't find a way to block shortcuts (like arrow keys or enter) that allow users to navigate a presentation without using my hyperlinks (google slides even has an overlay with the shortcuts).

I know a presentation editor isn't meant to be a game engine, but I thought these two things were very annoying and I wanted to check if somebody else had a way to walk around them.

HostSubmitted(+1)

Save PowerPoint to PPSX or PPSM to autoplay the game you made.

Set presentation mode to kiosk to stop people from skipping the entire game.

Thanks for the answer. I'm still having some issues solving all this 馃槄

Google Slides or the online Power Point version won't allow me to save to PPSX and PPSM (only Libre Office).

Kiosk mode, being a such a marginal feature, doesn't seem to work properly either, with most readers still allowing me to navigate the presentation freely.

HostSubmitted(+1)

If your using Google Slides or PowerPoint Online, then download the file then convert it to PPSX orPPSM online. That might work.

Not sure how it works for other programs, but in the"transition" tab you should be able to remove "Mouse click to advance" for PowerPoint.

In Google slides it's gonna take some extra work. You have to add a shape that covers the background and link it to it's current page. this stops it from moving forward.

HostSubmitted

The shape trick won't stop from the keyboard skipping but it stops from skipping with clicking the screen.

(+1)

Thanks! I already got to block mouse clicks with the tip you mentioned above. Will try to convert to PPSX online later and see if that works.

If I try to open a PPSX file with Libre Office it'll still let me use the arrow keys to navigate the presentation. Meanwhile, Microsoft's Powerpoint free tool to view Power Point files won't let me open it. If both dev and player aren't using the official paid Power Point version this feels pretty tricky.

HostSubmitted

The only way around it is to have the person download PowerPoint viewer 2010 first and open the file in kiosk mode.

Submitted(+1)

Found out about this recently for LibreOffice:

Forcing the user to click on a Slide Control to advance to another slide

We must make sure that the user can only proceed from one slide to another 
by clicking a Slide Control. As it is, when the user clicks the mouse anywhere 
on the slide, the show will advance to the next slide whether it鈥檚 supposed 
to go there or not.

So here鈥檚 how you give the user no option but to click on a Slide Control in 
order to proceed.

In the Slide Sorter View, hit Ctrl-a to select all the slides, then in the 
Slide Show menu select Slide Show Settings… to bring up the Slide Show Settings 
dialog box (Fig. 10.47)

The Slide Show Settings dialog box

Check only the Radio buttons next to Range > All slides and Type > Default, 
then, in the Options section, make sure you only have check marks next to 
Mouse pointer visible and Animations allowed—NOTHING else should be checked!

------------------------------------------------------------------------