Indie game storeFree gamesFun gamesHorror games
Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

What are you guys commiting to getting done?

A topic by Cas Windsor created Jul 15, 2023 Views: 333 Replies: 14
Viewing posts 1 to 9

Hi all!  I've sign up for this jam in the hopes it will give me the motivation to complete the combat system for my Vampire RPG "Shadowplay".

https://cas-windsor.itch.io/world-of-darkness-shadowplay

I've signed a contract to develop my game under the terms of World of Darkness: Unbound.  This game was my entry for the 2021 Vampire World of Darkness Jam but back then I got stuck and sidetracked into oblivion.  I spent a ton of time making the game look and sound pretty but not nearly enough time getting the combat to work.  You can download and try it if you like but it's pretty janky.

This time around I'm going to solely focus on getting a functional combat system up and running.  Polish and good looks be damned!

I'm interested to find out what other people are up to.  What are you planning to get done by the end of this jam?  Let me know!

Submitted

Was watching the trailer of your game - looking really good indeed! Hope you can achive your goals.

I am also planning to extend the battle mechanic of my game - together with  fixing and refactoring the codes in that  area.

Thanks to your post I was overcoming my weaker self and wrote this devlog which was too long on my preparation list for this upcoming Jam:

https://humane-tiger.itch.io/9-dayz/devlog/561270/devlog-post-jam-jam-7

(+1)

Cool.  I just had a read of your devlog.  Good luck with the refactoring.

Submitted (1 edit)

For me, I'm simply committing to fixing the AI of the game I made for the GMTK Game Jam. 

It was fully broken right up to the last hour before submission deadline, and barely managed to get it into a "semi-broken" working state just before the deadline. However, we still didn't manage to submit on time. We missed the window by literal seconds.

Besides that, I guess I'll just have to pull my arse off of my seat and commit to creating cover art for the game (which might take quite some effort).

I can't really do much more as I have a lot on my plate right now with negotiations with a publisher for another game I've been working on.

Ok, good luck with the AI.  Which of your games are you working on?

Submitted

For this post-jam, it's "Gaia's Revenge".

The one being considered for publishing is "All Bets Are Off!"

I'll add Gaia to the jam in a bit, once I finish compiling and uploading the WebGL build.

Submitted

i am trying to iron out all the combat kinks as well as making the AI of my game as smart as possible. i just recently implemented an Astar pathfinding implementation that seems to be working almost flawlessly after spending 2 weeks trying to make my own pathfinding system that i ultimately realised was a less efficient Astar system(instead of finding the shortest path it found "a" path). while the AI in my game is pretty smart right now. and will give anyone a hard time until they understand all the small details around the pathfinding. this is because while the AI is pretty smart there is no element of randomness to their decision making which makes them predictable also the fact they don't coordinate with each other and don't plan to counter-play the player means that you can effectively kite them while doing a little bit of AI manipulation like you could in pac man.

https://itch.io/jam/post-jam-jam-7/rate/2064840

Hey.  Best of luck with your AI work.  I tried the web build yesterday but couldn't get it to work.  It starts fine but just stops when you click a button and doesn't start again until you right-click.

Submitted

May i ask what the problem was in detail? were you able to into the actual game or were you stuck in menu currently only arcade mode is implemented all else is placeholder, i would check for modifier key realiser like alt, control and shift as they prevent left and right clicks. were you able to get in game with full screen as the corner buttons wont work because the the buttons on itch page. once you click on a button like move did you click on a tile with purple highlights to move you characters? you cannot attack in first turn as there are no enemies in range. if the move button did not work (ie not tiles were highlighted) did you try the restart button on top left?

Hey.  Just tried the game again just now and everything seems to be working.  I can't seem to replicate the issue.  Have tried a few restarts with and without full screen. Managed to play through the first level but died to the second one.

Submitted

Would suggest a mechnics/controls change. Instead of choosing the (out of context) next action via the top/right bottoms, better highlight the area per default after each step (without pressing additional buttons). This would make playing the game so much more straight foreward.

Players then can easily see where they can go and if they can attack any of the enemies.

It's almost everything already there, only a different kind of highlighting for attack tiles would need to be added.

Submitted (1 edit) (+1)

Thanks for the feedback, but there are a lot more features that i will be adding to my game like different attacks as well as abilities which require efficient utilization of its effects, also there will be multiple characters. all of this means that a simple choice between either attack of move is not going to be enough to cover this feature set. you can see some examples of these features in the last 3 levels where you control multiple characters as well as have a special axe attack that can hit multiple enemies at once. 

that being said a detailed tile pallet that tells the player where they can move/attack and where they cant is something i will be adding to the game soon once i am done figuring out how i want special attacks like swap places, knockback, stun to behave in my game.

i really appreciate the detailed feedback with the images. it will really help me as a reference when i am making the custom tileset for letting the player know which tiles are valid and invalid along with what is going to happen on those tiles.

I am trying to better the game’s level design + fix the bugs found:

https://itch.io/jam/post-jam-jam-7/rate/2159007

Submitted

bugs and mechanics mostly, I want to make sure everything I've been working on is solid before continuing. 

Hi all!  I hope everyone has had better luck than I have.  I've been trying to develop a timeline based combat system but it's been a total disaster.  My timeline system behaves differently in the editor play mode than it does in a build and differently again at different resolutions.

Tomorrow morning I'm off to house and animal sit and I won't be back home until after the deadline, so I'm going to call it quits now and won't be submitting anything to this particular jam.

Next week I'm going to remove the timeline idea completely and make a simpler turn-based combat system.

Best of luck to everyone taking part.  Maybe I'll see you again in a different jam.