Game developmentAssetsComics
SalesBundles
Jobs
Tags

Welcome... and Thanks!

A topic by ParserComp created Apr 07, 2021 Views: 583 Replies: 18
Viewing posts 1 to 5
Host (1 edit) (+3)

If you're reading this then you are checking out ParserComp 2021 for some reason, whether it's to participate and enter a game or to play and vote (or just play) or you're just curious ..... in any case thank you for taking the time to visit here; it's very much appreciated especially as this is my inaugural year in running the competition (though not it has to be said the first ever ParserComp, that would be the one in 2015).

If you are a game dev, text adventure game creator or IF author - or frankly would just like to try your hand at the medium - then please do consider entering the competition.  Our only ask is that the game is parser-controlled in nature (if in doubt just Google for "Zork" or "Photopia", but you can also add graphics and sounds) AND that the game hasn't been released already - our own definition of this is that it can be in public beta test but not available in any other form and shouldn't have been promoted (i'll forgive forum posts of "i'm thinking of doing this game next year..." etc).

That's it!  Nothing else to say at the moment other than do please consider subscribing to our YouTube channel where you will also find messages of "good luck" from well known adventure game folk!  :  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCk3WTY2bzeEv07X4d0E8GWQ

Thanks! 

Adam

(+1)

So, if I make a lexer&parser for a bunch of command words (command-verbs, nouns/objects, adjectives), and make an adventure game where you, for instance, explore a town in 1890s Utah that’s overrun with vampires – that would be what you’re looking for?

Submitted

Sounds good to me. But there are a lot of authoring tools around that already do all the lexical analysis, parsing and pattern matching for you. You don't need to write something from scratch, unless you really want to.

I’ve been tempted to port a pure-python lexer&parser (PLY) over to Godot’s gdscript. God have mercy on me, I probably will do that, knowing that I’ll never finish in time! :]

Submitted

It gives you a target. If you don't finish on time, and this comp is a success (which I'm sure it will be), there's always next year.

(2 edits)

I am building a text  game with a pseudo-parser, and I wanted to know if that was within the bounds of the rules for the jam. What I mean by pseudo parser is that every option you can take is listed out in front of you and numbered, so to enter the command you can just enter the number. 

This is a screenshot from a game made by someone else called Warsim, which shows a similar system to what I am describing.

Warsim: The Realm of Aslona on Steam

Also, the game is WIndows only. Is that a problem?

Host

Hi there! 

Firstly thanks for your interest. 

Unfortunately yes it does seem, from your description, that the game falls just outside of what ParserComp itself classes as an eligible game. I know when I wrote te the rules that I had to be clear and have a definition in mind. So ParserComp itself defines an eligible parser game as:

"To be eligible for participation in ParserComp your game must have text input, a text parser system and text output as the primary mechanism of control." 

Now, if the game allows free-text entry as well alongside the numbered options ("get ball and put ball in box" for example) then I would be happy to stretch the rule; but if its purely number selection then I'm afraid not. 

Hope that helps and sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 

Adam 

(1 edit) (+1)

Dang it. Oh well, I am still interested in the rest of the submissions. It is cool that people are still into these parser-based text games.

And I still have 24 days to make a real parser game for the jam. We will see what happens!

Host

Thanks!  I felt bad saying no, but I have to keep it pretty tightly constrained especially this year as its my first time running it.

Any chance you could use Inform 7 or something to port your game and include some general parser commands?  Just a thought, probably a crazy idea.  :)

Keep on eye on the comp though please, and please do play the games and vote!

Adam

Submitted(+1)

That is most definitely NOT a parser-based game. It is a choice-based game, which is exactly what this comp is NOT about. However, you can enter it in IF Comp later in the year, where the majority of games are choice-based games.

The Windows-only aspect is not a problem, but you won't get as many people playing it. In the past, Windows-only games have not been very popular and have not rated very well in IF Comp.

Jam Host

The ASCII art and presentation are very nice. I hope you do enter it an IF Comp.

Submitted(+1)

Hi Adam,

I'm new to the site, and wasn't sure of how to submit an entry for ParserComp. Consequently I uploaded my game "Somewhere, Somewhen" and submitted it for the comp, but as an oversight it was not submitted to itch.io as a draft and was therefore generally visible for a short while; I have now changed its availability. I would  hope this won't affect its eligibility for the comp.

Host

Not a problem, these things happen! 

Have you managed to submit now? Is everything ok? 

Adam 

Submitted(+1)

Thanks, Adam, everything seems to be okay.

Jim

(+1)

Hi Adam. I am an enthusiast gamer - author of parser-based Text Adventures. I participated in If Comp 2020 with Radicofani, a classic parser adventure (it's a Windows executable) containing sounds and images. After the experience of the competition I modified it by creating a new version of the game that would need to be tested. I'd like to know if I could insert the new version, even out of competition to get more feedback and to further improve the game. I'm also working on another parser adventure with cartoon-style images and clickable images too that runs only with the DOSBOX emulator. I'd like to include it in next year's competition. I would like to know if "old style" Adventures that run only with emulator are also allowed. Thank you for your time. Rob.

Submitted(+2)

Under the rules of the competition, the game must be previously unpublished, so I'm pretty sure that would rule it out.

For testing, you can ask at https://intfiction.org/c/playing/beta-testing/24

For the game with cartoon images, that would be okay to enter in next year's competition, providing the primary input is via commands entered on the keyboard. Clickable images should be considered an option. You must be able to play the game without needing to click on images. The fact that it only runs on a DOSBox emulator doesn't matter, but it will restrict your audience. Windows executables tend to rate very poorly in IFComp and I imagine the same will prove to be true in ParserComp. Have you considered Adventuron? That encourages graphics and runs in a browser, so it is multi-platform.

This is just my impression. Adam has the final say.

(+1)

Unfortunately converting my AT to another language is too complex. (It has a very unique interface, images with hidden icons and so on ...). I will decide whether to publish it or not. Maybe in some site specializing in retro games. Thanks for the information and for the feedback!

Host

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your interest and considering entering ParserComp!

As per the response from Garry i'm afraid that, yes, we would class this as previously released.  The only scenario I can envisage where we could be flexible is if a game was released and then later was so heavily re-worked as to essentially be a new game, and even then it would need careful consideration.

Hope your game design goes well, look forward to reading about it in IntFiction etc

Thanks

Adam

(+1)

Thanks anyway. I'm sorry I found out about Parsercomp too late

Bye.

Rob.